Octo for mk17?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plastic orifices are fine. I find that I cannot set them to the finest edge like I can a good brass or steel or gold orifice but they hold tune much longer because they do not cut the seat. All in all, I am going to say they are an improvement. I have had no problems with durability.

I am going out on a limb a little bit here but I might say the plastic orifice negates the need for a seat saver function.
Good feedback, thank you

I bought a reg setup used with a mk17 and g260. Unfortunately the octo couldn’t be serviced (us divers). Any suggestions for a lightweight octo to go with this rig? Warm water travel diver only.

Thanks
Another G260, identical to the main one.
A cheap octo is truly a stupid idea, for me!
When you (or your buddy) need it, as the primary fails, you want that it performs well!
And having two identical second stages has some other advantages regarding tuning, servicing and "save the dive" repair options.

When you (or your buddy) need it, as the primary fails, you want that it performs well!

As the op states that he wants a lightweight octo, warm water travel only, so obviously only recreational diving another G260 would just be overkill even when money would not matter at all. I used my R195 for 1,5 dives when my G260 mouthpiece ripped (could still be used but was not really comfortable anymore). I can tell you that at least on dives to 25m or less there was no major difference recognizeable in breathing. So I am sure that in the rare case of an emergency the R195 would breath good enough (it was the only time mine was really in use in about 100 dives and it was not even an emergency). Scubapro would not recommend the R195 as octo for MK17/G260 sets when it would be a bad breathing regulator. Actually I can not imagine that scubapro has any regulators on offer, that breath not good enough at all in recreational depths.

not that it makes too much difference to the discussion but I’m under the impression OP meant g250 not 260 (remembering from a previous thread)

Or was the other one wrong and it’s actually a g260? (Would have made that choice much easier vs the Core, and sweetens the deal)

I am with Angelo on this.
The same is better [for me].
My warm water resort diving rig is a Mk 17 and 2 X G260, the so called 'octo' is on a necklace under my chin so you don't notice this also so called weight and the need for a lightweight 'octo' , which is a stupid term, it's an alternative regulator to your main.
If one of my G260 was out of action one of my many G250 or the very nice S600 does the job.

Good feedback, thank you
Just to make sure that I did not infer anything, when for service/adjustments to the orifice it is still required to lift the seat (via lever) away from the (plastic) orifice. No need to tempt fate.

not that it makes too much difference to the discussion but I’m under the impression OP meant g250 not 260 (remembering from a previous thread)

Or was the other one wrong and it’s actually a g260? (Would have made that choice much easier vs the Core, and sweetens the deal)

It was a G260 that was part of the deal - I think I did type g250 at one point.

It was a G260 that was part of the deal - I think I did type g250 at one point.
Makes it an even better catch then

I use the same model for both and a couple times a dive I’ll breath on the second for about a minute. Each dive trip I swap them so over time they both get about the same wear.

Back
Top Bottom