Oceanic geo 2 vs Mares Smart vs Aeries A300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

too much choice theses days! Need some help deciding which dive computer to purchase. Am a recreational diver but going for my Divemaster next week and want a reliable DC for that. May take my qualifications further but not at this stage.

any pros/cons on the following three dive computers that I can't seem to choose between?

Aeries A300 (merged with Oceanic...any issues with this in terms of warranty?)
oceanic Geo 2
Mares Smart

thanks!

You'll have no warranty issues, Oceanic being the parent company will honor Aeris branded gear. Of those you've listed I'd choose the Geo.

The Oceanic Geo 2 and the Aeris A300 are both dual algorithm and run DSAT and Buhlmann. They currently cost about the same, I found $300 and $290 respectfully and both would need a download cable, about $90. The Aeris brand has been discontinued by American Underwater Products, who also owns Oceanic. I would not expect problems with support. I have dived a Geo 2 along with a SPG as backup to my primary VT3 for 4 years/nearly 500 dives. It's a fine computer, no problems, on my 3rd battery.

The Mares Smart runs a proprietary version of RGBM and is considered more conservative. Appears it is a bit more expensive, I found $399 plus a $75 download cable.

Good luck on your computer decision.

The Oceanic Geo 2 and the Aeris A300 are both dual algorithm and run DSAT and Buhlmann. They currently cost about the same, I found $300 and $290 ...
Where'd you look? -- amazon has a300 for $199.99, if I were buying a dc on a budget today that's what I'd get. (Of course, prices can be different where OP is.)

I don't think you can go wrong with the Oceanic or Aeris. My Geo 2 has served me well.

I went with the Aeris A300 due to price but had been looking at the Geo 2 because of 3 lines of information display, only 2 lines for the Aeris A300.

I went with the Aeris A300 due to price but had been looking at the Geo 2 because of 3 lines of information display, only 2 lines for the Aeris A300.
Some of us consider only 2 lines on a watch-sized screen a plus...

I have the Aeris CS A300. All the bugs haven't been worked out. I've had 4 failures so far. When it works, it is great. I love the OLED screen. Just the reliability isn't great and neither is the battery life.

the A300- isn't that a larger, puck sized unit? the Geo2 and the Mares Smart are watch sized. So- I am presuming that you're looking for one that you can wear as a watch. if you're young and your eyes are good- I prefer these for a simple dive computer. As- it's one less thing to take with you... it's already on your wrist. Plus- they're more rugged than the plastic puck sized basic computers, as they have glass or crystal screens and metal bezels.

Anyway- I picked up a Mares Smart this spring and have used it a few times. It's pretty straightforward to use, easy to figure out what's going on. it does have 3 levels of conservatism. I have simple needs tho'. Just a vacation diver. the geo2 looks equally as nice.

you basically pay $100 more for the watch sized packaging... but you get more rugged packaging than the various pucks that are out there.

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated!

Am young so eyesight is not an issue, however I don't usually wear watches so not too worried about the look...will probably be strictly for diving. I just don't want to have to go through the cost of replacing the DC again in a years time if I decide to invest more in my diving career and not having a DC suffice for that.

Asteve, have you had any issues with your A300?

wetb4igetinthewater, what kind of bugs? And is there any reason why they can't fix them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom