Not what you want to happen to your dive boat...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the style of the boats, the look of the waters and the crew, I'd say this was in the Red Sea, probably Egypt.

Mark

Yikes! Umm didn't anyone see that REALLY BIG BOAT?

Carolyn:shark2:

This was simply stupidity on the part of both captains....

both were too arrogant to yield to the other one and they collided.

Regardless of who had right of way, this could have been avoided.

GradyDiver:
With my 25 footer, I give up my right of way reasonably often. There are plenty of larger boats out there with inexperienced or IQ deficient captains (occasionally compounded by alcohol). QUOTE]

Sounds to me something we learned sailing in the bahamas...

The first rule of Navigation in the Bahamas is "Bigger Boat got Right-of-way Mon!"

but only a fool would sail his yacht across the bow of a container ship under way
There are plenty of fools out there.

And a slo-mo version of the first one...

Of course, one of the worst things that can happen is to be on a dive and see your boat next to the wreck you're diving!
http://uwex.us/

It looks like someone is trying to raise the Chaser.

Last edited:
There are plenty of fools out there.

Of course, one of the worst things that can happen is to be on a dive and see your boat next to the wreck you're diving!
AUE: ASSOCIATION OF UNDERWATER EXPLORERS

Why would the sail boat steer INTO the path of the larger ship? If he would have steered to starboard he would have missed it :confused:

Now that is funny....imagine you are diving/doing a deco stop and the boat you are supposed to board meets you down the line......I would laugh :rofl3:

COLREGS being what they are, the right-of-way is pretty hard-and-fast. One exception to the sail v. power rule where sailboats (under sail) always have right of way over powerboats is when that powerboat is "restricted in its ability to maneuver". What that means is that it's a huge ship in a shipping channel and IT has the right of way over any other smaller boats that are unrestricted in their ability to maneuver, regardless of whether they are power or sail.

Only a fool would cross the bow of a big ship. The captain of that sailboat got what he deserved. I hope his passengers survived the collision.

COLREGS being what they are, the right-of-way is pretty hard-and-fast. One exception to the sail v. power rule where sailboats (under sail) always have right of way over powerboats is when that powerboat is "restricted in its ability to maneuver". What that means is that it's a huge ship in a shipping channel and IT has the right of way over any other smaller boats that are unrestricted in their ability to maneuver, regardless of whether they are power or sail.

Only a fool would cross the bow of a big ship. The captain of that sailboat got what he deserved. I hope his passengers survived the collision.

A sailboat does not have "right of way" to maneuver any way she pleases. The "stand on vessel," in this case a sailboat, has the duty to maintain her course in order to allow the "burdened vessel" to avoid her. In this case the sailboat clearly violated the rules by changing course in such a way as to cause the collision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom