Non medical accident - gear lost - opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I've gone diving with so many good, responsible, well-equipped dive ops. I didn't know that it was even POSSIBLE for a professional operation to have crap equipment and green crew. Now I know.

Vayu:
There are alot of worse things that could have happened from choosing the wrong dive op... Alot of divers (including me) have made the mistake of assuming that everyone else involved in your dive is legit. I really hope you get your gear back. I am sure in the future you will choose to include the dive op as part of your dive plan and make sure the boat is one with adequate facilities to ensure that you will have a good time. I certainly would not want to be on a boat that has live tanks flying around...

I say the dive shop is responsible, they were handling the gear when it went overboard.
Think of a similar situation: you were trying to park your car and the attendant said you have to valet park it and then he crashes it, the valet service would certainly be responsible.

So, did this actually happen?

I have never dove at a place where they provide this "Service" for me/my wife. We always have set up our own gear changed tanks on the boat etc... I would say the last person to touch it would be responsible.
I have to qualify the "last person" approach though because I have been on a boat where someone forgot to Bungee their rig and they went to the frontof the boat before it started moving. Since I am not prone to sea sickness I stay in the back of the boat. Their Rig started to fall I caught it and bungeed it, now if it where to fall later I would apologize but, not take responsibility because they screwed up in the first place (the whole good samaritan thing).

raviepoo:
Yeah. I'm well aware that my big-deal, premium Dan policy won't reimburse for this. There was no dive accident involved. For them to cover gear I think it pretty much has to be cut off of your cold, wet, lifeless body on the way into the med-evac helicopter.

I was not referring to the DAN accident/medical/trip insurance plans. DAN recommends a 3rd party Equipment insurance that covers theft, airline loss, flooding, etc.

If you were to be compensated I think it should be at the full invoice price for what you paid for the gear. You can always negotiate down... Did you ask them to file a claim with their insurance carrier. Most shop/boat operator policies are packaged, it may include coverage for loss and the operator may not even know it.

Also, does your homeowers policy have any kind of coverage for that? It may be worth checking. I had a customer that lost her engagement ring on a dive boat and her insurance company paid the claim.

I second 123Scuba re checking home insurance. Even if it doesnt work out this time it's worth looking into with future trips in mind. We just bought new kits and updated our home insurance to cover them - including accidental loss / damage anywhere in the world. Wasnt particularly expensive either - $11AUD extra per month. Worth looking into!
Good luck,
Caitlin

I would never get on a boat where I could not set up and secure my own gear. I also would not get on a boat that had I seen it when I booked I would not have used it. Also I do not expect a dive op to be as good as any I've used before. They have to prove to me that they are good. Until such time no one touches my gear but me.

In my opinion, the diver should have taken care of their own gear. They should not be compensated. It is every individuals responsibility to 1. Make sure the gear is setup properly and 2. to secure the gear properly. No question about it.
:light: Some people here have had more experience with boat diving than others...

If the crew tends to your gear as you described, they're responsible for the loss. Good luck getting it replaced. :crafty:

Me - I carry my own bungee cords in case the boat has none.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom