Non medical accident - gear lost - opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally when one has property lost or damaged, the at-fault party is liable for the fair market value of the property. Fair market value is definitely not MSRP but represents replacement cost minus depreciation. If you have 400 dives on it, this is definitely well-depreciated gear and you can't fairly expect to get msrp for it.
Conservative ebay prices or used rental gear price would perhaps be a better estimate.
-- the "adjuster" in my username reflects my former life as an insurance claims examiner so this is how I would view the damages from a claims perspective.

I lost a fin in rough water on a night dive, cause the boat hand had slippery finger. I really prefer to toss my fins on board.... But it certainly can get in the way of the boat hand, so now I just make sure they grab it well before releasing it.

I agree, you are ultimately responsible for your own gears..

fisherdvm:
I lost a fin in rough water on a night dive, cause the boat hand had slippery finger. I really prefer to toss my fins on board.... But it certainly can get in the way of the boat hand, so now I just make sure they grab it well before releasing it.

I agree, you are ultimately responsible for your own gears..
I shove one fin over each wrist and climb aboard, after all it's a PITA when you slip back into the briney deep with no fins.

Back
Top Bottom