Non medical accident - gear lost - opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I"m considering sucking it up and chalking up the difference in cost to an expensive lesson, and depreciation of gear that has seen roughly 400 dives."

Sorry to hear about the gear loss, but expecting MSRP on gear used for roughly 400 dives seems a bit much. How old was the equipment?

Dang that hurts. Bite the bullet. Lesson learned and move on before you cause yourself more heartache.

Think of it this way; someone totals your vehicle that you bought brand new and kept good care of. The insurance company is only going to give you what the vehicle is worth today. No you will not be able to buy that same car w/ warranty, no matter how much you cared for it or how attached to that car you were.

As much as it hurts, this should be a kudos thread for the operator, as much as is it hurt his bottom line, doing the right thing.

Again, I empathize with your loss.

Diving Doc:
Personally I would say that the op is responsible but I doubt wether you will get them to admit that. How you proceed I don't know but I think that all you will get is general aggravation!!

Two lessons I've learned from personal experience.

1. Dont let ANYBODY, no matter how well intentioned touch your gear

2. Make sure everything is adequatly covered by insurance.

It bloody hurts when yur beloved kit goes awol, I know.

its a good excusee with the miss too upgraded... that would hurt loseing your dive gear as i jusdt bought mine and it burned a good size hole in my pocket if i lost it i wouldnt have dive gear for a long time as i have to pay for it agian...

markfm:
"I"m considering sucking it up and chalking up the difference in cost to an expensive lesson, and depreciation of gear that has seen roughly 400 dives."

Sorry to hear about the gear loss, but expecting MSRP on gear used for roughly 400 dives seems a bit much. How old was the equipment?

Totally agree. IMHO expecting MSRP on gear used for 400 dives inverts the story.
Now you're the bad guy and the operator is the good guy in the story.

Ultimately in diving it is the diver's responsibility for their own equiptment. BUT as a reputable dive operater I would volenteer to replace the equiptment as long as you the customer were no acting civil. This promotes a good image and return customers at a small cost.

raviepoo:
So what do you guys think of this? Who is at fault? Should the diver be compensated (in whole or in part) for the loss of the gear? If compensation is offered, what should it be based on? Manufacturers suggested retail (LDS) price? Grey market prices? (I'm not going to mention names. You guys know what sources I'm talking about when I say grey market.)

I'm looking for a reality check. Opinions (even ones I don't agree with) will be greatly appreciated.

The dive op is at fault. The right thing would be to either replace the gear or give you the money to replace it. I'd be happy with gray market pricing, or even used gear prices in some cases (like jetfins) that I know I can get used in good condition.

However, how deep was this? I think at the very least the dive up should pay for a pair of local tech or RB divers to go down and have a look for the gear if at all possible.

this is agood lesson for new(er) divers like me... i check my gear before getting in the water (boat dives) but never thought to check how it was secured on the boat! ouch!!

jon m:
this is agood lesson for new(er) divers like me... i check my gear before getting in the water (boat dives) but never thought to check how it was secured on the boat! ouch!!

as someone said already, inflate the BC so that if it falls it won't sink... easier to recover.

Well, since most operators either have shops or are associated with shops, I would have said "replace the gear at your costs with same make and model if possible, ask me about substitutions beforehand... oh, and pass along key-man discount to me through the shop for a couple extras and we'll be square." :)

*Floater*:
as someone said already, inflate the BC so that if it falls it won't sink... easier to recover.

Someone just lost a set of gear in the PNW. Bladder was inflated, but the conditions prevented them from finding the gear. A thread was started hoping someone would find the gear washed up on shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom