Non medical accident - gear lost - opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This happened to me recently with much happier results (they found my gear).

Since then, I ALWAYS make sure to INFLATE my BC before I leave it. That way when the rogue wave hits, or the bungee pops off (which is what happened to me), you can just pull it from the surf with NO ONE getting wet.

As for who is liable: everyone one is different. I would approach the boat owner and see if they will accept responsibility for it. Common sense says that when they took it OUT of your hands, they assumed responsibility for it.

you're a better person than me - i'd be in jail right now if someone waved me away from my stuff & then lost it overboard, because i'd lose it on the boat!

see diving doc's rule #1.

This is why I do not do this All Inclusive diving. I am the only person who sets up my gear, if the dive boat insists on "setting up" my gear then I insist on diving with someone else. End of story.

It was the Dive Ops fault IMO.

This is a testimony for equipment insurance. Does the dive op have any insurance?

It seems like the Op should try to help you in some way.

Ultimately, you are responsible for your own gear, but it sounds like the dive op couldn't get it right with setup or stowage.

I have been diving with Ops who take your gear at the end of each day and arrive the next morning with the gear attached to fresh tanks, and ready to go. However, I am never shy about going back over everything with a fine tooth comb, and making sure its done MY way.

There are alot of worse things that could have happened from choosing the wrong dive op... Alot of divers (including me) have made the mistake of assuming that everyone else involved in your dive is legit. I really hope you get your gear back. I am sure in the future you will choose to include the dive op as part of your dive plan and make sure the boat is one with adequate facilities to ensure that you will have a good time. I certainly would not want to be on a boat that has live tanks flying around...

Divedoggie:
This is a testimony for equipment insurance.

Be careful relying on Eq Insurance. I just looked at the equipment insurance that DAN recommends and the fine print says that it excludes any equipment that is lost during a dive or lost off the back end of a boat.

Joe

Diving Doc:
Personally I would say that the op is responsible but I doubt wether you will get them to admit that. How you proceed I don't know but I think that all you will get is general aggravation!!

Two lessons I've learned from personal experience.

1. Dont let ANYBODY, no matter how well intentioned touch your gear

2. Make sure everything is adequatly covered by insurance.

It bloody hurts when yur beloved kit goes awol, I know.

i second diving docs philosophy
i let noyone handle or set up my gear.
i had issues once with a dive operator in kona with regards to this.

When I booked with the dive op, I didn't understand their procedures and I had never seen their boat. (The boat would have put me off from the word go.) Their standing policy is that the crew sets up all gear and no one gets on the dive platform (where the gear sits) unless they are getting into the water.

I thought I asked the right questions. I missed a few crucial ones when I was trying to decide who to go with. This has been a learning experience at least. I now know a few more crucial questions to ask a dive op before I book with them.

WesTexDiver:
This is why I do not do this All Inclusive diving. I am the only person who sets up my gear, if the dive boat insists on "setting up" my gear then I insist on diving with someone else. End of story.

It was the Dive Ops fault IMO.

Yeah. I'm well aware that my big-deal, premium Dan policy won't reimburse for this. There was no dive accident involved. For them to cover gear I think it pretty much has to be cut off of your cold, wet, lifeless body on the way into the med-evac helicopter.

joetex0777:
Be careful relying on Eq Insurance. I just looked at the equipment insurance that DAN recommends and the fine print says that it excludes any equipment that is lost during a dive or lost off the back end of a boat.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom