No wing on a backplate harness and tank for Caribbean shallow diving -how does this work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is inefficient to artificially manipulate your optimal breathing pattern in order to try to maintain buoyancy control.

The reality is that without a BC, a diver will be more likely to need to swim more, crawl on the bottom, manipulate their breathing and have less control on the ascent and be less able to render aid to a a buddy who is in trouble. I don't think any training agency supports or promotes diving without a BC, so it is surprising to me that the archaic activity seems to be glamourized.

The increased drag of a BC is pretty minimal, if you choose a small one. It is not that hard to do in a just a bathing suit, but why sacrifice safety?

If the op is thinking about diving in 30 feet of 85 degree water, with an aluminum tank, it really is not that hard to do, just wear a little more lead than you wear when snorkeling. If you have to ask if it is OK, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

I think it is inefficient to artificially manipulate your optimal breathing pattern in order to try to maintain buoyancy control.

The reality is that without a BC, a diver will be more likely to need to swim more, crawl on the bottom, manipulate their breathing and have less control on the ascent and be less able to render aid to a a buddy who is in trouble. I don't think any training agency supports or promotes diving without a BC, so it is surprising to me that the archaic activity seems to be glamourized.

The increased drag of a BC is pretty minimal, if you choose a small one. It is not that hard to do in a just a bathing suit, but why sacrifice safety?

If the op is thinking about diving in 30 feet of 85 degree water, with an aluminum tank, it really is not that hard to do, just wear a little more lead than you wear when snorkeling. If you have to ask if it is OK, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
Agreed…. I dove without BC way back when. It’s a lot more enjoyable with a BC.

.. . If you have to ask if it is OK, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
Oh Really? Then I guess all of Scubaboard should just shut down and let Knowledge Noodles like you swan around in your Elite little group instead of growing the sport :rant::sharkattack:

postscript:
I have edited to remove 2/3 of rage, but I do ask this guy to not add snarky little remarks like that in the future.

I don't think any training agency supports or promotes diving without a BC, so it is surprising to me that the archaic activity seems to be glamourized.

No desire in my heart to be contentious or argumentative but I’m not sure this outlook holds water given the enormous portions of societies that delight in keeping vintage hobbies alive for the sake of preserving history.

Example: Vintage race car clubs don’t need the NTHSA to endorse what they’re doing but they (the racers) certainly put intensive work into ensuring their car is period-specific to honor the original spirit of the sport.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with diving without a BC. In fact, I’d love to be that skilled!

I just wanted to say that I liked that Jacqueline and Nick looked like they had a lot of fun in the movie opener, and having the camera on a neck strap rather than a super rig was very enchanting.

In 1970 we generally did not put much air into our buoyancy vest with the exception with a little at the bottom. We went down 4-5 lbs heavy and came up at the end relatively neutral after activating our J-valve. At the bottom, we were sometimes a bit heavy with our wetsuits compressed, thus the air in the vest. I think the vest was more for emergency measures than neutral buoyancy. It was a long time ago, wish I had a better memory.

In 1972 I got a Scubapro vest with an auto inflator, it changed everything regarding neutral buoyancy,

My shallow water rig. The ability to be properly weighted is critical and of course be able to swim which for some divers seems to be a lost skill. The only reason I would use a bc shallow is if I needed to carry a lot of extra weight ( tools and gear). But I could dump it all in a pinch.

Attachments

• 20220919_231856.jpg
    20220919_231856.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 45
A major concern is whether a dive op will allow you to dive without a BC. I purchased a BC (a VDH 23# Argonaut Wing) and added a "safe second" for diving with my double-hose regulator primarily because I suspect that it's likely that a dive op will not allow me to dive without these things when diving my DH.

The irony is that trying out my (used) double-hose regulator without a BC (and without a safe second) shortly after I had just purchased my DH a few years ago was my very first experience diving in open water (well, in my neighborhood shallow quarry) without a BC. Such an epiphany!

ETA: .

rx7diver
They let you dive with no BC’s on California dive boats. Especially if you sign up for a charter run by a club like the Sea Divers.

How many people bring up lobster like that these days, and is it a good idea? We are the result of previous practices, don't have to tell you in CA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom