Inquiry on Backplate and Wing for Warm Water Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around here (Asia) I mostly dive in skinsuit only.
Speaking for myself only.
Not a chance in Philippines in winter or Bali around Aug/Sep if you want to see mola mola.
I need multi layers to dive in 18-20C.
Some divers I know in HK are diving dry in local water in winter.

@vortex777
1. I would suggest a good quality 3mm full suit + vest + hood. Hire a shortie in the resort if necessary. 5mm in the summer is too much even for a warm water diver like myself.
2. Thread the harness correctly in the BP/W system and the shoulder quick release is unnecessary.
3. Weight pocket to thread in the CAM band.

This is the wing that I am using in SE Asia. Aluminium plate, DIY crotch strap, simple harness and no weight pocket as I prefer weight belt.
Would you add any trim pockets for the colder locations you mentioned?

From my experience with inexperienced divers it does help to have some extra lift in case of unforeseen issues. I have been dragged both ways (up and down) by several divers over the years.
If you are weighted properly, and your kids are weighted properly, they would never be more negative than the weight of the gas in their tanks at the beginning of the dive. If any of them have a catastrophic wing failure you should still have enough lift in a standard singles wing to compensate for your gas + your kid's gas, meaning you can use your wing to get them to the surface if necessary. A catastrophic wing failure is very unlikely, but the only situation which you might want more lift is at the surface if one of your kids is negative and struggling to stay afloat - but at that point, removing some heavy gear or weights is an option.

Personally, I wouldn't let my kids dive if they are unable to control their buoyancy and perform safe ascents, and I would also make sure they know how to ascend if their BC fails. As long as they're diving a balanced rig, that shouldn't be a problem.

Would you add any trim pockets for the colder locations you mentioned?
Weight belt all the time with no exception even when diving dry.
You have to decide what is best for yourself.
Where do you put the trim pockets is another question. Harness or CAM bands(lower or upper).
We all have different ideas.

BTW, the DGX package is FOC for shipping. Please read the small print on shipping cost.

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek expertise in selecting the most suitable backplate and wing system for my specific diving needs.
Could you please share your insights and experiences regarding the above-mentioned backplate and wing systems? Any recommendations or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and guidance in this matter.

Sounds like you should be looking at back-inflate BC options, not a backplate and wing. If the features that you are looking for come standard in a normal BC, why do you want a bp/w?

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek expertise in selecting the most suitable backplate and wing system for my specific diving needs.

I will primarily be conducting warm water dives, utilizing a maximum 5mm suit and mostly AL tanks. Given that I dive with my two children, I require additional lift capacity and the ability to easily ditch weights as needed. Ideally, I would only need approximately 8lbs of weight with the 5mm suit, thus favoring the smallest weight pockets available.

Moreover, I have some existing shoulder and back issues, making the option to unclip the shoulder harness a valuable feature for me. In terms of preferences, I do appreciate shoulder dump valves for added convenience during my dives.

Considering my requirements, I have been contemplating the following options:

- Hollis ST 22 Elite

- Dive Rite Transplate (along with suitable wing recommendation) as an alternative, is the TransPac comfortable?

- OMS Comfort Harness III (for which I would also need a compatible wing suggestion)

- Xdeep Zeos.

However I am unsure if the lift provided by these options would be adequate for my needs.

Could you please share your insights and experiences regarding the above-mentioned backplate and wing systems? Any recommendations or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Don't go with any of the expensive Western brands, there are perfectly good ones available here in Asia. I make all my own plate/wing systems from parts ordered online from China...as good or bettter quality than anything you will find from these name brands for 1/3 the cost. If that is not an option for you, I would recommend the deluxe comfort harness P&W system from IST out of Taiwan. I'm sure there is an authorized dealer in Hong Kong. It's available in steel or aluminum plates and can be accessorized as needed. Fair price too.

I recently started using a OxyCheq travel plate w/ 18lb wing as my warm water rig, diving with an AL80. I wear 4 lbs on each shoulder blade, and 6 lbs on a belt. I have 18 lbs more lift than I need, as I dump all air from the wing when leaving the surface to begin the dive. I can easily hover for minutes and remain at constant depth and horizontal trim. I use the OxyCheq Quick Harness which is simply a single long 2" strap with one cam buckle. I have no need of padding. I added the crotch strap. Dry weight of the entire rig is just 5 lbs. Add 3 more for the regulator.

I will primarily be conducting warm water dives, utilizing a maximum 5mm suit and mostly AL tanks. Given that I dive with my two children, I require additional lift capacity and the ability to easily ditch weights as needed. Ideally, I would only need approximately 8lbs of weight with the 5mm suit, thus favoring the smallest weight pockets available.

Moreover, I have some existing shoulder and back issues, making the option to unclip the shoulder harness a valuable feature for me. In terms of preferences, I do appreciate shoulder dump valves for added convenience during my dives.

Considering my requirements, I have been contemplating the following options:

- Hollis ST 22 Elite

- Dive Rite Transplate (along with suitable wing recommendation) as an alternative, is the TransPac comfortable?

- OMS Comfort Harness III (for which I would also need a compatible wing suggestion)

- Xdeep Zeos.

However I am unsure if the lift provided by these options would be adequate for my needs.

Honestly, you may be overthinking this.

The raw plate without padding might look uncomfortable, but even with a thin wetsuit it's fine. The harness might look uncomfortable or difficult to get in and out of, but it turns out that it's really simple. You might think that a shoulder dump valve is important, but you just forget it and use the inflator without giving it a second thought.

A basic 3mm stainless steel plate is fine. A generic 17 litre wing and a simple harness will do everything you actually need it to do. Beyond that, you're really just adding marketing features.

A 18-25# wing is lots and doesn't need a shoulder dump, harnesses don't need buckles and backplates don't need padding.
Trim pouches or even a belt work fine. Learn to dive a balanced rig.
In the tropics with a 3mm and twin 80s in sidemount I need 3-4kg total, so basically the same as a backplate and single tank adapter.

I would look at a Sub Gravity BP/W. I have their aluminum BP, 26 lb wing, and adjustable harness.
Their adjustable harness is clean, simple and no plastic parts. I love mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom