No wing on a backplate harness and tank for Caribbean shallow diving -how does this work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No desire in my heart to be contentious or argumentative but I’m not sure this outlook holds water given the enormous portions of societies that delight in keeping vintage hobbies alive for the sake of preserving history.

Example: Vintage race car clubs don’t need the NTHSA to endorse what they’re doing but they (the racers) certainly put intensive work into ensuring their car is period-specific to honor the original spirit of the sport.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with diving without a BC. In fact, I’d love to be that skilled!
I don't think there is anything wrong with diving without a BC either, if that is what you want to do. I have done it myself at times. Obviously, the whole idea of vintage diving is to use archaic gear.

None of this contradicts my opinion that it makes a lot more sense for most people to wear a small wing or some type of BC for safety, ease and efficiency.

If someone is asking about a type of gear configuration that is not taught or promoted (or even "allowed") by the certification agencies, I don't think it is too far off base to suggest that divers probably would be well advised to avoid that "configuration", especially if they are not really familiar with it.

The whole question is kinda trivial anyway, if you want to see what it is like to dive with no BC, just dump all the air out of the BC, add none during the dive and see how it goes - if you have a problem, the experiment is over and you can press the up button, if needed.

Lastly, if you are bringing up a big bag of heavy lobsters, it sure makes a lot of sense to have a BC that will compensate for the extra weight.

How many people bring up lobster like that these days, and is it a good idea? We are the result of previous practices, don't have to tell you in CA
They let the big ones go now. Anything over 8 or so lbs they put back. They were even letting some of those big ones go even back then.

I don't think there is anything wrong with diving without a BC either, if that is what you want to do. I have done it myself at times. Obviously, the whole idea of vintage diving is to use archaic gear.

None of this contradicts my opinion that it makes a lot more sense for most people to wear a small wing or some type of BC for safety, ease and efficiency.

If someone is asking about a type of gear configuration that is not taught or promoted (or even "allowed") by the certification agencies, I don't think it is too far off base to suggest that divers probably would be well advised to avoid that "configuration", especially if they are not really familiar with it.

The whole question is kinda trivial anyway, if you want to see what it is like to dive with no BC, just dump all the air out of the BC, add none during the dive and see how it goes - if you have a problem, the experiment is over and you can press the up button, if needed.

Lastly, if you are bringing up a big bag of heavy lobsters, it sure makes a lot of sense to have a BC that will compensate for the extra weight.
I would so much call vintage gear “archaic”, that seems a little condescending. I would call it “historical”. People are into all sorts if historical things, cars, black powder guns, aircraft, furniture, art, etc. it’s something people enjoy, they are after the nostalgia and the feeling they get. Let’s take old cars for instance, they do not have good seat belts with shoulder straps, or air bags, anti lock brakes, traction control, and all the rest of the mandatory safety features of cars produced now, that’s why they like them they don’t want any of that stuff, they just want to drive an old mechanical car, a real car, not a computer with wheels. And the styling of course, they are cool.
They enjoy it just as much as you enjoy your skepticism of no BC diving, probably more.
Modern minimalist diving can be done with all brand new gear so “archaic” means nothing in this context. It’s an art form, it’s a learned skill, it’s not something mainstream divers do, it’s an offbeat group and yes many have been around a long time and started that way. Some are brand new at it.
There’s a feeling of freedom and liberation that comes with it.

They let you dive with no BC’s on California dive boats. Especially if you sign up for a charter run by a club like the Sea Divers.
I really enjoy looking through these pics every time you link this page, @Eric Sedletzky. I especially like seeing the "clean" Mark 7 (http://diver.net/backpack_divers/IMAGE049_2.jpg). I have never seen one in the wild without that LP adapter thingy (that reverses things to allow you to run a power inflator on the "correct" side, and also allows you to simultaneously run both a power inflator and an octopus 2nd stage).

rx7diver

I agree with the ease and efficiency I suppose but not sure about the safety aspect. No BC ever made that I am aware of is a USCG approved flotation device. For myself, the only purpose of a buoyancy compensator is in the name, buoyancy compensation. If a BC has become a safety crutch that is training problem maybe or a misunderstanding of the purpose of the BC. Not since the horse collar type BC has there been a BC that will reliably float a diver face up and a wing will quite readily do the opposite, face plant the inert diver. I guess I do not see the safety aspect so many seem to confer to a bag of air that can so easily fail. I am just going to say it but a BC is not a safety device.

I agree with the ease and efficiency I suppose but not sure about the safety aspect. No BC ever made that I am aware of is a USCG approved flotation device. For myself, the only purpose of a buoyancy compensator is in the name, buoyancy compensation. If a BC has become a safety crutch that is training problem maybe or a misunderstanding of the purpose of the BC. Not since the horse collar type BC has there been a BC that will reliably float a diver face up and a wing will quite readily do the opposite, face plant the inert diver. I guess I do not see the safety aspect so many seem to confer to a bag of air that can so easily fail. I am just going to say it but a BC is not a safety device.
I agree that BC's have several potential failure points, and I also get the feeling that relatively few people have a good plan B, should the device become inoperable.

I also agree that a wing located on a divers back will tend to place them in a face down position while in and/or on the water, However, someone who is face down on the surface and is 10-15 lbs buoyant, can tip their head up and get air at the surface, or use a snorkel. But a person who is sinking, can't.

The safety benefit, from my perspective is that it vastly increases the ability for a diver to reach the surface and to stay there and it also can reduce exertion on decent (to some degree) and significantly reduce exertion on ascent (if you wear a thick wetsuit and carry a little extra ballast with you).

The inability to support an unconscious diver at the surface in a head's up position, does not seem like a priority since the horse collar BC's are no longer used.

Most devices that are intended to improve safety are not failproof under all circumstances, yet we acknowledge that they still have value in that regard. Why should a BC be different?

I just do not see or use a BC as a safety device :).

I endeavor to be as neutral as possible so my BC wing is used to offset my full tank and suit compression as relevant and not much more. I do not use it for ascents and descents, I try as well to remain as horizontal as possible though my dive.

I guess those who learned to dive post BC are simply not versed enough in the method and limitations to appreciate how liberating and easy it can be.

This is how it was done in the olden days, proper weighting is the key. It’s like walking barefoot, it can be done easily in most places but there are places and time where you need shoes.
You a barefooter?

oh..
I had hopes there for a minute there was another barefooter.. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom