Newbie -OWC and Equipment Pls Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phakur

Reaction score
Hi-

Well my family and I are taking the plunge and are going to start next week to get our OWC. Just some basics first: the family are all adults and includes one son in law. My wife (of 31 years) is afraid of the water and I'm trying to convince her to at least go through the OWC. She may do it.

We've "interviewed" a few LDS in the area and have decided on one for our lessons. This shop requires that we each own our own mask, snorkel and flippers (fortunately half the family snorkels, so we have much of this). They also recommend booties and gloves.

The LDS we have selected carries mainly Scuba Pro equipment.

Some basic questions:
The initial outlay for regulator, octo, BC and computer was quoted at just under $2000 by the LDS. All Scuba Pro, all guaranteed for life. Just checking the internet it does appear that Scuba Pro, at least in the US, is not sold on the net. Is it? If so where? I have heard about 300% mark ups by LDS. Is that true?

Is Scuba Pro a good brand? What other brands of equipment should I consider? (Note that I am definetely not looking for "savings" just for saving money, although I find that an outlay of $2k each is a bit much for five people (!0,000 yikes)). What would most folks consider to be perhaps slightly above middle of the line equipment?

How much should I expect to spend for regulator, octo, BC and computer? Especially for an enthusiastic newbie.

How do I know the equipment is right for me? I understand trying on the BC is a good idea, but what about the rest?

If I don't buy from the LDS where we get our OWS, is that "held" against us? They didn't seem that way, just want other peoples experiences.

Anything else (anything at all) that I should know about this before jumping in?

Thanks-

Larry

Phakur:
Hi-

Well my family and I are taking the plunge and are going to start next week to get our OWC. Just some basics first: the family are all adults and includes one son in law. My wife (of 31 years) is afraid of the water and I'm trying to convince her to at least go through the OWC. She may do it.

Does your wife snorkel now? If not, you may have her start there first. As a divemaster, I see way too many spouses who don't like the water and get talked into it. I am not saying she should not do it. But maybe she could work in graduated steps towards learning to enjoy diving. Remember, this should be fun!

We've "interviewed" a few LDS in the area and have decided on one for our lessons. This shop requires that we each own our own mask, snorkel and flippers (fortunately half the family snorkels, so we have much of this). They also recommend booties and gloves.

Some basic questions:
The initial outlay for regulator, octo, BC and computer was quoted at just under $2000 by the LDS. All Scuba Pro, all guaranteed for life. Just checking the internet it does appear that Scuba Pro, at least in the US, is not sold on the net. Is it? If so where? I have heard about 300% mark ups by LDS. Is that true?

Ask for a ScubaPro catalog. As an authorized dealer, the LDS should have one to give you. The catalog shows suggested retail price, which you should expect to pay. With a package, you may get 10% off.

Is Scuba Pro a good brand? What other brands of equipment should I consider? (Note that I am definetely not looking for "savings" just for saving money, although I find that an outlay of $2k each is a bit much for five people (!0,000 yikes)). What would most folks consider to be perhaps slightly above middle of the line equipment?

Look at the SRP in the catalog and price it out for yourself. ScubaPro is a good brand. Feel free to shop at other LDS's for other brands. One size does not fit all, so do your homework. SP is a good brand though.

How much should I expect to spend for regulator, octo, BC and computer? Especially for an enthusiastic newbie.

How do I know the equipment is right for me? I understand trying on the BC is a good idea, but what about the rest?

If I don't buy from the LDS where we get our OWS, is that "held" against us? They didn't seem that way, just want other peoples experiences.

This is America! You can buy from where ever and who ever you want. Just do your homework first and remember, sometimes you get what you pay for. Watch out for some on line dealers who are not authorized and have their own warranties or no warranty. Think about where you will have the equipment serviced and the cost and convenience.

Anything else (anything at all) that I should know about this before jumping in?

Thanks-

Larry

Good luck to you and your family Larry! It will be fun for you to all embark on this great adventure together!

Julie

Phakur:
Hi-

Some basic questions:

Thanks-

Larry

First there IMO there is no good reason to buy a comuter from the get-go. Especially with a whole family of new divers. The sad fact is that this sport has a huge fall-out rate and why risk having excess orphan gear. You should be taught to dive without a computer and doing tables for a while will give you a true understanding of what you're doing. It may even be a while before the computer is of any real value depending on your dives.

Good luck to your wife, be slow and gentle. Make sure the shop does a thorough job on skin-diving skills before stuffing a regulator in her mouth. If she really has a problem being in the water the time with a swim coach in advance would be a good thing. Swim tests vary with agency but she must be comfortable in the water... period.

SCUBA Pro has a structure that's not known for bargains but makes solid stuff. Their styles are not everyones preference on some stuff so you should wait, learn and select. Buy after certification. Rent, borrow and try as much as possible first.

If they are holding a gun to your head to buy there or you will die then run the other way. I give my LDS dibs on my stuff, he competes and get the lions share when he carries the right products.

How much to spend? A very soild BC can be had for $500 or less. Air delivery... 1st/ primary second stage, alternate second stage and a console with presure, depth, compass and temp perhaps $525 - $650. You can spend more but that money will get you into comfortable solid recreation gear.

The computer as I said should not be in the equation right now. From what I've shopped a nitrox capable unit can run $300- $600. each plus at least one download doo dad for $100. or so.

The basic gear required is typical and needs to fit you so it's critical to own the stuff, not to mention hygeine. If you dont have booties then you probably have full foot fins. Before open water you will need booties and that will require open heel/strap type fins.

Being into skin diving is a huge advantage. Does you wife join you in that sport? I would not confront her with a scuba session until she clears that hurdle with your loving hand or profesional instruction.

Pete

My initial purchase was my wetsuit. I really didnt care to use a rental for that. My 2nd item was a BC, because I hated the rental BC's. Just buying those two items, all I have to rent now is a Reg/Octo, and for $15 with a computer I am a much happier diver.

Phakur:
Hi-

Some basic questions:

Thanks-

Larry

I'd hold off a bit on buying more gear than they require. 2 grand sounds like a lot of money. Its even more money if what you buy with it sits in the attic and never gets used.

Your LDS shouldn't hold it against you if you don't buy from them. They'll make their fair share on certs and servicing the stuff you do get.

1) If they're all adults, should at least some of them be buying their own gear?

2) Take your time. Not *everything* has to be new. If you're patient you can usually find good deals on solid, used gear. Plus, the more time you take looking into it while building your skills, the better choices you will be able to make. You need to get certified & start diving. Rent most of the gear and just go dive, work on your basic skills.

I do think that owning your own wet suit is a good idea, bc they must fit properly to be good. With rentals, it's always a crapshoot as to whether you get one that fits dcently. For warm water diving, it doesn't take a thick suit so you can get something without spending a fortune.

Don't push your wife. Work with her basic water skills. Swimming (correctly, with real strokes), snorkeling. Do not sign her up for a scuba class until she is comfortable enough in the water to want to do it. Went through this with my wife. She overcame her issues, but it was bc she wanted to, not bc I wanted her to.

If you're buying gear for 5 people, you should get at least some kind of a volume discount. Try asking for one, if you still want to buy all that gear. However, I wouldn't recommend buying more than what you 'need' for the course: mask/snorkel/fins/booties/weight belt/lead. You won't know what you're comfortable with until you get in the water, after which you should try different BCs & regs to see what you like. If they force you to make a big purchase before you are certified, run away!

Another thing is that everyone will have different preferences in gear once they get into this, especially things like BCs and wetsuits. Scubapro is good gear but it seems unlikely that getting everyone a full set of Scubapro or whatever one shop carries would result in 5 people all getting the best fit and the features that they prefer. If it turns out that way it's fine, though your family will look like a walking Scubapro Ad :wink: There can be some advantages to everyone having the same or similar regs and computers. But I'd suggest taking the whole gear thing slow and doing lots of research (which you've started by asking this, of course!) There's lots of opinions to read on this board and that alone can amuse you for a week. You don't have to get everything at once or at one place. And of course the rest of the gang should be involved in picking their gear.

Scubapro carries a full line as do others, but there are also manufacturers that do just wetsuits or instuments/computers and do it really well. Some full-line manufacturers are better at or better known for certain types of gear. There's definitely no reason to limit youself to one brand.

How much is your life worth? Solid gear is a must! You don't necesarily have to spend alot of money, but, you get what you pay for. The extra money you spend on a reg. usually means smoother breathing. Oh, by the way, Flipper was a dolphin on TV. Fins go on your feet. To me $2000.00 does not sound all that bad. You wouldn't go out and buy a helmet that didn't fit good or look safe, just because it was cheap would you? Hopefully not! When I bought my gear this Memorial day sale,(20% off the already 10%- MSRP! and I spent $2600.00. Yes I bought good equipment, but like I said earlier, You wouldn't buy crappy brake pads for your car just because they were cheap. SCUBA equipment is not just gear, it's a LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM!!! Like I said earlier, What's your and your families lives worth.
Dive safe,
Lips

As somebody who recently got certified, I second the recommendation to go slow on purchases. There are so many options in equipment, and you just don't know what you don't know at the beginning. (Of course, this board is a fascinating resource for learning more about what's out there and what people think of it!)

I don't know what your wife's issues in the water are, but one of mine was being cold, so buying a wetsuit early on was critical for me. I bought a 3 mil Scubapro suit and I love it. It fit me well and is very easy to get in and out of.

What my LDS has told us is that the major manufacturers set strict limits on how much they can discount their gear, and I believe the shop, because on anything where they can offer more discount, they have. I believe this is not only true of Scubapro, but of all the high-end brands.

And last of all, I want to extend some encouragement to your wife. I resisted learning to dive for 17 years -- my husband wanted me to, and I kept saying no. Having now done this, I can't believe I wasted so much time. I just spent two days floating in Molokini crater, surrounded by more sea life than one can believe, just suspended in crystal clear blue water where you can see more than a hundred feet. It's an absolute exercise in bliss, and you can tell your wife from me that it's worth the effort!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom