Newbie -OWC and Equipment Pls Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Froschmann:
It is less the issue of something's not being quite right - it's more the way ScubaPro deals with it that drives me away from them.
Ah, ok , I understand what you are saying.

I am new to diving as well. Just finished OWC myself a couple months ago. I don’t know about your LDS but mine has a thing where the rental of their gear goes towards the purchase of a new set, something to check into. I am sure there are limitations, I didn’t look into it. I was one of those that rush into it and buy top of the line stuff before the class ever started. Happy with my choices, but I am sure I could have been happy with something “less costly”. The sales person told me to take my time. As to your wife, a good friend of mine had the same issue; the American Red Cross swim class did it for him. He won’t scuba yet but he is at the beach every week. Good diving…

Try first, buy second.... like test driving a new car. After you know what you want then try

Ebay!!!

I would like to thank all the responders for their opinion. Of course, my financial situation has to enter into this decision as well, bvut it does seem to me that the majority of the folks feel waiting a little while before spending a lot of money is a good idea.

I continue to read up on the various alternatives and do intend on continuing that. am also going to approach my instructor regarding alternative equipment because although he is suggesting Scubapro, there suer seems to be a lot of good stuff out there.

Thanks again everyone-

Larry

Phakur:
Hi-

Well my family and I are taking the plunge and are going to start next week to get our OWC. Just some basics first: the family are all adults and includes one son in law. My wife (of 31 years) is afraid of the water and I'm trying to convince her to at least go through the OWC. She may do it.

We've "interviewed" a few LDS in the area and have decided on one for our lessons. This shop requires that we each own our own mask, snorkel and flippers (fortunately half the family snorkels, so we have much of this). They also recommend booties and gloves.

The LDS we have selected carries mainly Scuba Pro equipment.

Some basic questions:
The initial outlay for regulator, octo, BC and computer was quoted at just under $2000 by the LDS. All Scuba Pro, all guaranteed for life. Just checking the internet it does appear that Scuba Pro, at least in the US, is not sold on the net. Is it? If so where? I have heard about 300% mark ups by LDS. Is that true?

Is Scuba Pro a good brand? What other brands of equipment should I consider? (Note that I am definetely not looking for "savings" just for saving money, although I find that an outlay of $2k each is a bit much for five people (!0,000 yikes)). What would most folks consider to be perhaps slightly above middle of the line equipment?

How much should I expect to spend for regulator, octo, BC and computer? Especially for an enthusiastic newbie.

How do I know the equipment is right for me? I understand trying on the BC is a good idea, but what about the rest?

If I don't buy from the LDS where we get our OWS, is that "held" against us? They didn't seem that way, just want other peoples experiences.

Anything else (anything at all) that I should know about this before jumping in?

Thanks-

Larry

First, let me say I am an LDS (Hillsboro, TX) but please don't hold that against me.

While I do like and need to sell gear, I recommend that you spend smartly. Don't run out and buy everything just because you think or have been tol you need to. Mask, fins, snorkel, booties. Those are the must haves. Your LDS providing your training should also provide the additional equipment for use during class. I know we do. Even wetsuits.

Each person is different and has different perceptions. If not, there would only be one regulator, one BC, etc.

I recommend that you try different brands from different LDS's. Today you are not likely to buy 'junk' scuba equipment. There are however, varying degrees of quality. Some people like Scubapro while I find it too difficult to breathe from and have never had one adjusted anywhere near as easy breathing as my Aqua Lung Legend LX. You may find just the opposite.

Just be sure you get to try several brands and different models of each brand before you buy. Check the manufacturers warranty before you buy. Sherwood changed their warrany years ago and we stopped carrying them because we felt the customer was being shorted by the change.

Make an agreement with the LDS that if you rent gear to try then decide to buy, that at least a portion of your rental fee applies towards the purchse price. In addition, agree on the purchase price before you make this agreement!

Above all, don't be in a rush to buy your own equipment. Diving is a sport that can and is greatly affectd by comfort; both physical and psycological. If the gear fits well and performs well but you feel you paid too much, that can affect the way you dive. Conversely, if you got a great deal but the gear fits poorly or performs less than desired, your diving enjoyment will be lessened. The end all is the less you enjoy diving, the more likely all that expensive gear will start gathering dust.

Don't be pressured. Once you get your c-cards, you can rent gear anywhere. Don't be afraid to test drive before you buy. More than one brand, more than one model. What works great for me might not work for you.

Definitely try Aqua Lung and SeaQuest. :D

P.S. Don't rush out and buy a dive computer until you spend time using tables, planning your dives and diving your plans. Then when you do buy a computer, your mind will be able to do a rough 'double-check' when you see those digital readouts. But still with a computer, plan your dive, dive your plan.

One other twist is to look at the divers in the family and perhaps start with just enough of the $$ stuff for 1 buddy pair. I'm thinking BC, regulator set and weights essentially. If it works out for suits so much the better. That can get you doing local dive days for less $$ You won't be down all at once but it's a less painful start. If some fall out you won't be left holding the bag. If you really want to dive together some days you can always rent the balance. As commitment builds you can fill out the gear locker. Just a thought and it only works if the common gear is a real fit. You will all need your own personal items for class, mask, snorkel, fins, booties.

Once you're out diving with divers you may run into some nice deals on low mileage gear.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom