New scuba gear line-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crabpaws

New
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm assembling gear for a trip to Malaysia. I'm still new to all the technical aspects of it, but I'm aiming at getting some durable gear - mainly for tropical/warm waters.
I'm taking a cours for DM.

Anyway, I would like some thoughts to the gear - and especially the BCD part. Not sure wether I should go with Mares Icon or something else .. Mayhap Dive Rite Transpac + Venture 360 wings.
And also on additional gear! :)

Here's the list:

Computer: Suunto D4
BCD: Mares Icon
Instr.: Mares Mission 2
Regulator: Mares Proton Ice Extreme
Octopus: Mares Octopus Rebel
Fins: Aqua-Lung Slingshot

I don't know any of the gear you mention specifically, but before I bought the gear and hauled it halfway around the world I would check on what support you can count on at your destination.

I would pay particular attention to whether or not my regs could be serviced or rebuilt if some sort of problem arose. If there are no retailers or shops that handle Mares a minor part failure could have you on rental regs. Whatever reg you buy, try to get a couple of hours use on it before you go. Any problems you have should make themselves known in that time, and can be dealt with by the shop you bought from. It wouldn't hurt to have the shop check the IP and cracking pressure after you have a few hours as things can change a bit.

The rest of your gear (with the exception of the computer) is pretty fool-proof. If you can, try the BCD out before you buy. Sometimes they seem to fit and feel good in the showroom, but don't function or feel that good loaded up with a tank and weights.

Thanks for the reply.

I have changed the current gear, however. The new line-up should be more durable, considering the intensity of the dives ahead. This is how it looks now:

Computer: Beuchat Voyager
BCD: Tigullio T52 Hover
Instr.: Mares Mission 2
Regulator: Beuchat VX10
Octopus: Beuchat VX
Fins: Tigullio T52 Venom

Input is very welcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom