Shopping for first scuba gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freename

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From the sounds of it, this is apparently a good place to get some feedback... I'm fairly new to diving (as in, have only completed the open water dives for my PADI c-card) and have been looking into buying some gear. I'm looking at getting a regulator / octo, and bcd - though by the time I actually buy this I'll likely end up with a dive computer and wet (or dry) suit as well.

ANyway, my dives would mostly be cold water though since I wouldn't want to do *all* my diving where I live, I'm looking for something that can travel reasonably well as well. While I am a beginner, I also don't want to be getting equipment that I'll quickly out-grow... nor do I really want to trust my life to 'low end' equipment. I've gone to what are apparently the 3 major dive shops in my area, spoken with the people in each and gotten their recommendations. The package I'm thinking on taking is this:

• XTX200 regulator
  • XTX20 octo
  • the package comes with a 3 gauge console, but if I can get some savings I may downgrade to 1
  • knighthawk BCD (or Dimension I3, but I don't know how I feel about that style of inflation/deflation...)

... I'll likely be getting a dive computer as well (while the Suunto Zoop looks okay... I kinda like the looks of the D4i right now...) and then probably a cheap-ish 7mm wetsuit. And a very large visa bill.

From all I can tell, this sounds like a great package of equipment... but unfortunately, they don't have any of the regs in their rentals so I can't actually *try* the gear first. This doesn't please me, and is why I'm here asking for opinions on it.

For comparative purposes, my second choice package (for about $200 less) was/is this:

• Abyss 22 regulator
  • Rover octo
  • mission 1 console (they're recommending it with a puck air with compass dive comp attached)
  • Mares hybrid pure MRS+ (this looks like it would travel a lot better...)

So... if anyone actually makes it this far... thoughts? Recommendations? Scathing criticism? Sage words of wisdom?

The only item on the list that I have experience with is the Aqua Lung Dimension. I have one, and love it. I have tried many other BCD's (perhaps 4-6 different ones), and while I cannot complain about any of them, to me the i3 system is the one I like best.

The likes:
-The location of the i/d lever on the Dimension just feels well placed.
-Easy to dump air in basically any position.
-Comfortable to wear.
-Four very useful metal D-Rings, plus a smaller plastic one.
-Love the LP inflator hose and gauge routing system.
-Love the octo holder (not sure what its called).

The dislike:
-Needs more pockets (and more cowbell).

Hope this is helpful. Good luck on your purchases.

The XTX regs are great, but the ATX40 is cheaper and will do you fine. I assume you will be using a DS4 1st stage? These regs are suitable for cold water.

A single contents gauge is not a downgrade - you do not need an enormous crab-basher on your HP hose. A single contents gauge is neater. The depth is on your computer and a compass can be worn on the wrist.

I cannot comment on that particular BCD, but have you considered a backplate and wing instead?

so. Here is my honest to goodness recommendation and no offense to your dive shop.
If you want a Suunto zoop that's basically new, send me a PM and I'll sell you one for $150 with new batteries shipped up to you, not using it anymore. It's a great rec computer that will be with you for a long time until you start doing deco.

So gear recommendations

Wait until Black Friday, sales in the last week of November are absolutely insane.
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Hog D1 Singles Regulator Package - Dive Right in Scuba

Those will go on sale together at black friday and be somewhere in the realm of $700 total for the full reg set and bp/w. Don't get me wrong, the stuff you have listed is high end stuff, but for your first gear, save the money and you'll be good. Annual service on HOG is cheaper than apeks, and the reg quality is comparable. The plate and harness will last you for the rest of your diving career so will the regs should you choose to continue to doubles or CCR. In cold water diving, that setup takes 10lbs of lead off of your weight belt compared to the BC's you listed above which is important. I know you're in Canada, but DRiS are great to deal with and ship to canada regularly.

Spend money on a good quality well fitting wetsuit, in your climate this is the most important thing you can do.
4th Element Proteus 7mm Wetsuit | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Waterproof W2 7mm Back-Zip Fullsuit | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Best bet is to call Mike, tell him Tom Nelson sent you, and see what kind of deal he can run if you buy it all in one go. He really doesn't like losing business for any reason, and won't lose business over price. If you need it before November then it's worth it to call him and do it in one big go, if you can afford to wait until November you'll likely save a $200 or so, but lose out on having it during the rest of the dive season

The only item on the list that I have experience with is the Aqua Lung Dimension. I have one, and love it. I have tried many other BCD's (perhaps 4-6 different ones), and while I cannot complain about any of them, to me the i3 system is the one I like best.

The likes:
-The location of the i/d lever on the Dimension just feels well placed.
-Easy to dump air in basically any position.
-Comfortable to wear.

This BCD gets raves from warm water divers all the time, for those reasons.

warm water divers, shame the guy is in Canada. Up there you'd be a fool not to dive in a bp/w system. This is no offense to anyone up there diving a jacket bc, but it's just not the right decision. If you don't like the one piece harness, go to a Transplate where you get shoulder pads, chest strap, etc.

The knighthawk is nominal 9lbs and floats in the water. A BP/W system is maybe 12lbs total and is 10lbs negative in the water. You save 7lbs of weight on land with a BP/W. You're going to be carrying a lot of lead to dive up there, so any weight you can shave off is a good thing and the more weight you can put on your back instead of on a belt is also a good thing because if the belt comes loose you are less likely to pop up like a cork.

warm water divers, shame the guy is in Canada. Up there you'd be a fool not to dive in a bp/w system. This is no offense to anyone up there diving a jacket bc, but it's just not the right decision. If you don't like the one piece harness, go to a Transplate where you get shoulder pads, chest strap, etc.

The knighthawk is nominal 9lbs and floats in the water. A BP/W system is maybe 12lbs total and is 10lbs negative in the water. You save 7lbs of weight on land with a BP/W. You're going to be carrying a lot of lead to dive up there, so any weight you can shave off is a good thing and the more weight you can put on your back instead of on a belt is also a good thing because if the belt comes loose you are less likely to pop up like a cork.

I dive both an i3 BC and a bp/w in cold water. I love my backplate but actually prefer the i3 for a lot of diving. It's super comfortable (not that the backplate is uncomfortable), much easier to carry the weight I need for my drysuit in the integrated pockets and trim pockets, and the hose routing options keep hoses much more streamlined than with my bp/w. Most of the dive world does just fine with jacket BC's, its's not a "wrong decision" to buy one, and diving one in cold water doesn't make anyone a "fool." It just makes their gear choices different than what you would make.

Kim, no offense at all, but I am very curious how it makes your hose routing more streamlined. There is literally nothing more streamlined than a proper hose setup on a harnes system if you have the hose lengths setup properly. Primary, 40-44" hose with 90* adapter under right shoulder and up to clip or long hose wrapped around body, short 22-28" hose on the octo, whatever hose length is appropriate for the corrugated hose length, and whatever HP hose length is appropriate based on your body size.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - 16LB QB Weight Pocket
Juts as easy to add weight pockets and trim pockets to the bp/w as it is on the jacket, and yes, it is foolish to carry around 10lbs more weight on land when you don't have to. Depending on your body size the one piece harness is less comfortable, and in that case, the transplate or deluxe style harnesses with shoulder pads and chest straps help distribute the weight better on land. Extra $80-$120 for the transplate and you're still $100+ cheaper than the jacket listed above.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/large-dive-rite-transplate-harness-red-large/

FWIW I don't dive with a hard bp/w anymore because I dive sidemount, but even in doubles and a drysuit I don't carry any extra lead and am generally a few pounds overweight. My suggestion is also based on longevity of the rig, how it allows the diver to grow with the system, and saves a boat load of money.

Kim, no offense at all, but I am very curious how it makes your hose routing more streamlined. There is literally nothing more streamlined than a proper BP/W hose setup if you have the hose lengths setup properly.

I suggest you dive an i3, if you cannot figure out how much cleaner the hose routing it by looking out at it. There is no corrugated hose. The hose attachment point is on the BCD, not on a dangly bit. Sherwood used to make a similar drysuit inflator valve setup BCD, and it was awesome for intro gear because it did away with the dangly corrugated hose. (But, of course a certified diver would need an Octo, which an intro diver does not need, which reintroduces a different hose.)

I would not use an i3 personally, because I use Air2's but getting rid of the corrugated hose is a good thing. People who use drysuits for buoyancy control may forget how much of a PITA corrugated hoses are for buoyancy control for many divers, especially smaller framed divers. The i3 is a dream to use when the BCD, and not the drysuit, is being used for underwater buoyancy control. (Yes there are drawbacks, but there is with every system.)

In fact some of the people who use them like them because i3 equipped BCDs are "as easy to use as a drysuit for underwater buoyancy control" Quoting roughly, what they said.

The i3 routes the hoses for the spg and inflator through the back of the BC and out the side, then there's a "holder" for the spg on the side. The only hoses that are not inside the BC are the regulators. I can't find a great picture, but this one is as close as I could get. The inflator hose in this is actually too long, but it shows the routing. The spot above the i3 is a velcro "holder" for the spg. The hose for that comes out in the same place as the inflator hose:
3107.jpg

Like I said, I own a backplate/wing set up (two actually, both with continuous harnesses) and I don't dislike it at all. I love it for a lot of applications and use it regularly. But to say it's the best BC for everything and the only BC that makes sense for everyone as happens so often on Scubaboard is ridiculous. People like different things for different reasons, and it's why there's so much selection in scuba gear. There are even *gasp* people who have tried backplates and don't like them. The OP asked a question about a few specific BC's and half the answers he got were "get a backplate and wing" without knowing anything about him/her. THAT to me is foolish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom