Upgrading Equipment To Scubapro - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you forgot one:

6. LDS owners/employees bashing legitimate value options because widespread dissemination of this information cuts into their profit margins, since potential customers may choose options that are not offered in-house.

Please feel free to correct me by explaining to me how skinny the margins are on things like jacket bcd's vs bp&w's.

;-)

If you think that SB "cuts" into LDS margins, you're delusional. Leisure Pro cuts into LDS margins. SB is a nice distraction but no "cutting into LDS margins".

I work in a LDS part time. I never hear anything about SB but mucho mucho about LP.

If you think that Tobin is not making huge margins too, feel free to contact me too.

so we are supposed to recommend overpriced gear that provides no benefit over lower priced pieces of gear from other manufacturers?

Manufacturers? Yes, that would be nice. Instead of ONLY recommending DSS. LOL.

I would say go with Scubapro ...I have had a few in my time - all have breathed great. Mk20 + S550, Mk20 +G250 Nothing wrong with them.

But I would totally steer you away from the Air II. There's a few threads on here about them, and have come up as "the one piece of gear I've regretted" a few times. It's like a spork. Not really good at any one thing. I used to see them a lot back in early 2000's...not so much anymore.

If you think that SB "cuts" into LDS margins, you're delusional. Leisure Pro cuts into LDS margins. SB is a nice distraction but no "cutting into LDS margins".

I work in a LDS part time. I never hear anything about SB but mucho mucho about LP.

If you think that Tobin is not making huge margins too, feel free to contact me too.

"Margins" is not a good word. My mistake. I should have simply said "profits". If people find out about value options not available at their LDS and choose to purchase those alternatives (obviously elsewhere), the LDS loses out on those customers and potential sales. Does it not logically follow that if the LDS loses out on customers and sales that this results in lower profits for the LDS than would have been realized had the customers purchased their new equipment from the LDS?

If you don't see it this way, that's okay. I don't want to derail this thread any further. Best of luck to the op on his research and purchase decisions.

Last edited:
Manufacturers? Yes, that would be nice. Instead of ONLY recommending DSS. LOL.

please inform me of another manufacturer representing quality, features, price, and customer service level comparable to Deep Sea Supply. When you do that, I will be more than happy to start recommending them. I've been looking for many years and have yet to find one

"Margins" is not a good word. My mistake. I should have simply said "profits". If people find out about value options not available at their LDS and choose to purchase those alternatives (obviously elsewhere), the LDS loses out on those customers and potential sales. Does it not logically follow that if the LDS loses out on customers and sales that this results in lower profits for the LDS than would have been realized had the customers purchased their new equipment from the LDS?

If you don't see it this way, that's okay. I don't want to derail this thread any further. Best of luck to the op on his research and purchase decisions.

Problem is that SB is a barely known entity amongst new or beginner divers. Coupled with the fact that almost no LDS promotes or sells BPWs, they remain few and far between. And for most divers, poodle-jackets are just fine. JWNF.

This thread represents an excellent example of about 2000 recent similar threads on SB. Here’s the gist:

1. Bash Scubapro - check. Mention that the Hydros is a POS - Bonus point

2. Get a BPW - check. Mention DSS - Bonus point

3. Praise Shearwater - check

4. Identical cast of characters always offering identical advice - check

5. Yada yada yada - check

You forget Jet fins.

Back
Top Bottom