New Reg Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drew52:
My thoughts exactly. And I would get the MK17 ahead of any Mares Regulator.

I would too!!!

Bubbles depend on the mask you use, the shape of your head, and the regulator too. When I use the Proton Metal and the really low volume atomic frameless mask, I can see a small stream of bubbles if I am in still water and not moving. It too minor to be bothersome. All other times it, this isn't noticed. My old favorite Scuba Pro mask does not allow this. I don't know if other regulators would do this either.

One reason I like the Proton Metal is moisture retaining ability. I had a saliva gland fail around 2001, and my throat is dry enough anyway. I always had a metal reg, until 2005. I got the excellent Oceanic plastic regulator, and would come up with a dry throat, sounding like Louis Armstrong. Diver's Direct mentioned the mositure properties of this Mares in their ad. They have a 30 day "no questions" money back policy that made it worth a try. The Oceanic went to a happy Ebay customer.

When divers discuss regulators today, it is often the fine points. I started diving in 1977, and there were some bad ones available at the time. (My problem was pressure gauges blowing up.) Bad regulators have since left the scene. Even the low price regs these days are quite good, provided they are a brand name. You will not be putting yourself in harm's way with any of the regulator choices you have mentioned.

Happy diving!

Stu S.:
When divers discuss regulators today, it is often the fine points. I started diving in 1977, and there were some bad ones available at the time. (My problem was pressure gauges blowing up.) Bad regulators have since left the scene. Even the low price regs these days are quite good, provided they are a brand name. You will not be putting yourself in harm's way with any of the regulator choices you have mentioned.
That's truly the bottom line. The least expensive new regulator you can buy, at least from any of the "major" manufacturer's is a good, usable, serviceable regulator. Buying near or at the top of the line, except in the rare case of a manufacturing defect, will get you something that thirty years ago we could only dream about (unless you were already hip to the Cyclon 300 back then<G>). What you do get is varying degrees of "customer support" if something goes wrong. This is not to say that others don't do a good job, but I have personal knowledge of the excellent customer support provided (in alphabetic order) by Mares, Oceanic and ScubaPro.

I notice bubble interference with my Proton Ice only if I'm getting lazy and swimming with my mouthpiece (SeaCure) dangling too far out of my mouth that I'm blowing bubbles from under my top lip...strangely, don't seem to suck any water in while doing that. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any problems with it, not sure where all those "reviewers" that complain about the interference are hiding, if they're even real people...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom