Question First regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know where you got that piece of information but if you check for regulators here you would be hard pressed to find them. If your LDS has 15 regulators in stock you might find 1 Atomic among them. More likely there will be none.
That might be due to the fact that they are much more expensive than most of the others without having any distinguishing quality that justifies the higher price.
If you shop on the internet you find the same....

Atomic regs have a number of distinguishing qualities that make them better than other regs. If you are not aware of what those are, then whoever is trying to sell you some other brand has not given you all the relevant information.

Atomic regs have a number of distinguishing qualities that make them better than other regs. If you are not aware of what those are, then whoever is trying to sell you some other brand has not given you all the relevant information.
I am always ready to learn new things :)

What makes atomic regulators better?

Another question: For what do I need a bottom port (I really do not know)?

It can make for a more convenient routing for longer hoses that you run under your arm. This would be the octo in a conventional setup or the primary if you do primary donate.

On the weight thing. Your original question was about the Mk19 evo at 665gr and 62X at 464gr (both in DIN). It's your call if 200gr is important or not given modern air travel luggage restrictions.

If you use a long hose on primary second stage or you stow your octo under your right arm the lower port makes hose routing much more streamlined and comfortable.

Edit: lowwall beat me to it.

Just so you know since I am from Germany American brands are not an option here. That also includes Atomic.
Scubapro is an American brand too.
You can get Atomic regs and service here easily. HOG/DiveRite/DGX/Deep6/etc. not so much.
Atomic regs have a number of distinguishing qualities that make them better than other regs.
What makes them better?

What makes atomic regulators better?

What makes them better?

All Atomic regs are essentially the same in design (except the TFX second stage, which is superior to everything else, Atomic and otherwise). So, they all breathe the same from the least expensive (Z2, unsealed) to the most expensive (T25).

They breathe as well or better than anything else I have tried. I own ScubaPro Mk25 EVO/G260. I used to also own SP Mk25 EVO/S620Ti. I also own Halcyon H75P/Halo, and others. The Atomic regs, including the Z2 breathe just as well at the Mk25/G260, in my opinion - which is better than the Mk25/S620Ti.

Atomic 2nd stages (except the TFX) have the AFC feature. That feature is like the Dive/Predive venturi switch on (for example) the SP G260. But, the AFC activates the change in position of the venturi vane automatically, based on water pressure. I.e. it changes the vane position automatically, as you descend.

Atomic 2nd stages also have the Seat Saver feature. When the 2nd stage is depressurized, it takes away the pressure from the poppet on the seat inside the 2nd stage. This results in less wear there, so it last longer between needing service. Other 2nd stages recognize the benefit of this. The SP G260 has a feature where you can press the purge button in and twist it a quarter turn to lock it in the depressed position. This has the same effect as the Atomic Seat Saver. I.e. it takes that pressure off the seat when the reg is not in use. But, you have to manually do it, where it is inherent to the Atomic 2nd stage design.

In general Atomic regs are extremely high quality in their construction. Superior to many other regs in that regard. And they go as long or longer than other regs in between needing to be serviced.

They also are modular and many parts interchange. For example, they offer exhaust tees in 3 sizes. Their octos come with the smallest size, to make them the least bulky. The M1 2nd stage is their 2nd stage intended for technical use and it uses the widest exhaust tee, to direct bubbles furthest out to the sides and away from the diver's face. The other primary 2nd stages come with the middle sized exhaust tee for a compromise between bulk and bubbles in your face. But, you can get any size exhaust tee and fit it to any of the 2nd stages.

If you buy a Z2, which has a fixed turret with a bottom port, and you decide later that you wish you had a swivel turret, you can buy just the swivel turret parts and convert the Z2 1st stage to have a swivel turret.

If you buy a Z2 (or any Atomic 1st stage) unsealed, you can get a seal and have it converted to be environmentally sealed.

ScubaPro has a dizzying array of regulators. Why? Is there not one among them that is better than the rest? If so, why do they even make the others?

Atomic does not do that. They worked out what they believe is the best design and they just make that (except for now, the TFX, which still uses the same 1st stage design as the other Atomics). The different models of Atomic are the same design, just made with different materials, depending on what the user wants. The Z2 is chrome-over-brass for the 1st stage (like all the other regs discussed in this thread) and a Zirconium air tube in the 2nd stage. It is the heaviest and least expensive. The M1 is for tech diving and has O2-compatible parts. The B2 is the same 1st stage as the Z2, just with a swivel turret from the factory and a titanium air barrel in the 2nd stage for lighter weight and better corrosion resistance. The ST1 is a stainless steel 1st stage, which won't corrode, but is still heavy. And the T3 is a titanium 1st stage, which is lighter and won't corrode. The prices go up for different/better materials, but the basic design is the same throughout.

Now the Atomic TFX is out. it is a new design for a 2nd stage. It breathes better than any of the other regs discussed in this thread. And the metal parts are titanium. It comes paired with an all-titanium 1st stage. So, none of it will corrode and you won't find a lighter reg set on the market. But, it is stupid expensive.

That's all off the top of my head. I'm sure @BoltSnap will chime in if I've left anything out.

They breathe as well or better than anything else I have tried. ...
Most major brand name regs have virtually no breathing resistance when well adjusted.
The 'features' you listed are pretty gimmicky IMHO. Titanium might be lighter and doesn't corrode but my 25 year old Apeks and SP regs haven't corroded either, I've also gone years and hundereds of dive without serivce... exhaust Ts you can change on Apeks regs as well, etc...
I guess I was asking what makes them better that's noticable to the user. Something like the TFX, to me, is exactly the same as a pair of 1200 Dollar sneakers or 600 Dollar pants... you're really paying only for the name, not for function.

The Atomics are indeed superb but best is a matter of opinion. I do like their incorporation of titanium in several of their second stage air barrels. I do not like the automatic Venturi control, I am good with the manual VIVA of Scubapro. The Atomic cases, are they 30% glass fiber polyamide like most Scubapro? I have not been able to find that info. The soft purge cover is not something I care for at all for durability down the road, the G260 has a hard cover and a traditional purge button. The G260 has a manual seat saver feature, automatic again in the Atomic which I do not care for because the stage is open to contamination during rinsing. The Atomic requires a $112 kit to have the cave feature (no tool removal of the diaphragm and cover) which is standard and integral on the G260 (not on the carbon fiber version however). The Atomic first stage is a piston type and is a superb regulator however it is not sealed except by pumping the inner ambient area with grease and then installing a rubber seal whereas the Mark 19 Evo and the Mark 17 Evo are diaphragm types and are fully sealed without aggravating grease filling and possible contamination with salt water between service. The second stage poppet for Scubapro incorporates a wiper O-ring to protect the inner O-ring seal from contamination, the Atomic does not. Saying all of that I would be proud to own an Atomic.

As to the new TFX, I see it going away just as similar Scubapro designs have done in the past including the current/recent D420. It has certain complications and just is not traditional and the performance gains, kinda of like, meh, whatever. I do not desire one at all, what I do desire and will likely never own is the full titanium Atomic T2 or titanium Scubapro S620 and Mark 25 Evo also in titanium. Who knows, maybe I will be shooting at some food in my back acres and up from the ground will come a bubbling crude :).

Really, at these levels, they are all best. I still have never found a regulator that can out perform the AL Legend in any meaningful way that I bought my wife years ago. And only last week got a service by me :wink:. All of these regulators would rate Superior on the ANSTI tests.

Uh, I have a NIB Kraken trade for a Mark 25 Titanium, just saying. Maybe, maybe not. I might even consider a NIB titanium Mark 11 :). I will probably strike oil first, let me go pump that air rifle up and go shooting for some tasty possum :wink:.

As to the new TFX, I see it going away just as similar Scubapro designs have done in the past including the current/recent D420.
I really like the old D400 but I just like it because it looks cool. The D line is pretty gimmicky too IMHO.

I really like the old D400 but I just like it because it looks cool. The D line is pretty gimmicky too IMHO.
To be fair, they have a center valve lever design that is quite a little marvel, all of them, D series and the new TFX. And nobody hardly cares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom