Question First regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagermany

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post here.
I am a vacation diver with no aspirations to go technical in the future (or to dive anywhere where it is freezing).

Still, I think it is time for me to buy my first regulator set and I am quite at a loss because there are so many different ones and the prices are mostly quite alike.

After some delving into the matter there are two systems that I consider interesting, the first ist the SP MK19 with the C370, the second would be the Mares 62X with the Dual ADJ.

The Mares seems more sensible because it is weighs only half of the scubapro.

Could I have some feedback and recommendations from those of you who have used both. Some pros and cons would not be bad either.

I will use the regulator only for recreational diving in warmer regions.

Many thanks

Your first stages aren't really comparable. The Mk19 Evo is heavier because it is environmentally sealed and has 5 low pressure (LP) ports on a turret. The 62X is not environmentally sealed (although it is available as an extra cost option) and has 4 fixed LP ports. The Mares equivalent of the Mk19 would be the 82X with the optional TBP dry kit.

For the kind of diving you are planning, the Dual Adj 62X makes more sense. But there are ScubaPro options that are better suited for you as well. The SP fans will be along shortly to point them out. Normally in these threads there will also be some people who didn't pay attention to your location and will recommend US local brands/shops like HOG, Deep6 and DGX. Feel free to ignore them.

Hi guys,

I am a vacation diver with no aspirations to go technical in the future (or to dive anywhere where it is freezing).

Still, I think it is time for me to buy my first regulator set and I am quite at a loss because there are so many different ones and the prices are mostly quite alike.

After some delving into the matter there are two systems that I consider interesting, the first ist the SP MK19 with the C370, the second would be the Mares 62X with the Dual ADJ.

Could I have some feedback and recommendations from those of you who have used both. Some pros and cons would not be bad either.

Many thanks

You are in Germany hence getting service for Scubapro, Atomic or Zeagle is NOT an issue for you:

My recommendations in approximate order of preference:

1. Atomic Z2 sealed

2. Scubapro MK19/g260

3. Scubapro mk17/c370

4. Mk11/c370

5. Zeagle F8

6. Zeagle ONYX II

What it comes down to here is your budget and personal preference. The Zeagle regulators are excellent in performance and value so don't discount them from consideration.

Your first stages aren't really comparable. The Mk19 Evo is heavier because it is environmentally sealed and has 5 low pressure (LP) ports on a turret. The 62X is not environmentally sealed (although it is available as an extra cost option) and has 4 fixed LP ports. The Mares equivalent of the Mk19 would be the 82X with the optional TBP dry kit.
Hi and thanx for the reply

I chose this SP set because it costs about the same as the Mares set. But then again if you browse the internet a bit you find many good regulators of the leading European brands within a similar price range (the 82X is just 70 Euros more), e.g. between 500 and 650 Euros including octopus and fini.

For me the money is not the relevant issue. I am just thinking about what I really need for my vacation diving.

I prefer the SP because service is available worldwide. Either of the two recommended by BoltSnap above will suit your needs. I will suggest two identical second stages and not the SP195 or similar. Both will be serviced together, both will function the same, both will breathe the same, both will provide same adjustments. The C370 and G260 are both great breathing regulators so you can't go wrong with either.

You aren't going to find many divers who have used both the 62X and comparable SP regs. But it really doesn't matter. Everything from reputable manufacturers are capable of much more than you'll be asking of them.

So go ahead and make your decision on other factors: features, price, convenience, aesthetics, brand loyalty, service availability, what your friends are diving, etc.

FWIW, I think the 62X is a good choice. It's light and compact and it's a diaphragm reg which I prefer. I have plenty of experience with similar Mares first stages and they are very consistent, breathe well, and tolerant of less than ideal handling and maintenance.

However I can't say anything about their adjustable second stages as I've only used their classic downstream seconds. I assume they work well though as they've been out for a few years and I haven't heard of any issues.

Hi guys,

Many thanks

Leaving out some of the popular house brands and nothing against Mares but I would recommend either the C370 with a Mark 11 or G260 with Mark 19. Or if you can get support in Germany possibly a mid range Atomic offering.

I do think Mares is beginning to step up their game with some new additions to their product line.

Environmentally sealed regulators are becoming a thing it seems. If you are diving in cold water (Germany) then it can be a useful feature. A Mark 11 only has the spring exposed and is easy to rinse out. I say this because you mention vacation diving only and does anyone really choose to go dive in cold water on a vacation, uh, maybe, I guess.

If you're going to dive in Asia or the Caribbean, I would also buy an INT adapter for your reg. Some shop have DIN valves but not all.
Good advice. It always makes me smile when people have their own adapter. All our tanks are DIN convertible, but it often makes life just so much easier:))))

4. Mk11/c370

Given your needs, this is the better ScubaPro option (the Mk17 and Mk19 are overkill and heavier). All the other options are probably good too.

Since you are in the EU, I can't recommend my usual favorites since they don't have a price advantage over there.

Back
Top Bottom