Question First regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the choices given, I would go with SP Mk19/C370.

However, I would choose a SP Mk19/G260 over that, if it was an option. But, I acknowledge that I say that because I have not dived a C370 and I know the G260 to be an awesome breather. The C370 has an excellent reputation, though, and I'm sure it would be fine for you.

If Atomic was an option, I would choose an Atomic Z2 (with Z2 2nd stage as octo as well) over either of the SP options.

I am fascinated at the recommendations that suggest a different 1st stage from the same brand, when suggesting a different 2nd stage.

For example, if recommending ScubaPro, why recommend a Mk19 with one 2nd stage but a Mk17 with a different 2nd stage? That makes no sense to me. The Mk19 is better than the Mk17. So, if it's the best choice with a C370, then it is still the best choice with a different SP 2nd stage.

To ME, I would only buy a 1st stage that has a bottom Low Pressure port. E.g. the SP Mk 19 and Mk 25, and also any Atomic 1st stage. The SP Mk17 has no bottom LP port, so I would not buy one.

With a bottom LP port, you don't HAVE to use it, but you CAN. And, to ME, the hose routing you can configure when using a bottom LP port is better than the hose routing you get without that bottom LP port - e.g. what you get with a SP Mk17.

I own SP Mk25 EVOs with G260 seconds (and numerous other regs from other brands). They are awesome. But, I like the Atomic regs even better.

If he’ll ship to you. This is not a wrong answer I suspect. I would have bought it if I hadn’t just bought 2 mk25s from another source.

Everyone has different preferences and needs based on their diving and they are all valid. I personally loath the bottom or fifth port on a turret style regulator for single tank use but doubles use, sure, I might use it. I do not like how the secondary hose is cockeyed and the same for the BC hose having to route downward and then back up and over my shoulder. This might be mitigated to some degree, at least for the BC hose, if wearing the tank extremely high on the back as is popular nowadays, so it comes down to how you prefer to rig your equipment. But I can agree also that having the fifth port can be useful, I just do not use it but rarely on my Mark 5/10/20 regulators when rigged for single tank.

I prefer the Mark 17 over the Mark 19 because the Mark 19 is just on the verge of being too large and heavy. The Mark 17 is big enough as it is. I like the hose routing of the Mark 17 Evo for single tank use just fine, actually prefer it.

For example, if recommending ScubaPro, why recommend a Mk19 with one 2nd stage but a Mk17 with a different 2nd stage? That makes no sense to me. The Mk19 is better than the Mk17. So, if it's the best choice with a C370, then it is still the best choice with a different SP 2nd stage.
Because you can't get a MK19 with C370 and you can't get a MK17 with G260 :)

Does it make sense now???????

Because you can't get a MK19 with C370 and you can't get a MK17 with G260 :)

Does it make sense now???????

I suppose. LOL! :)

Sounds like all the reason necessary to put the Mk19/G260 firmly in second place, behind the Atomic Z2.

:D

Leaving out some of the popular house brands and nothing against Mares but I would recommend either the C370 with a Mark 11 or G260 with Mark 19. Or if you can get support in Germany possibly a mid range Atomic offering.

I do think Mares is beginning to step up their game with some new additions to their product line.

Environmentally sealed regulators are becoming a thing it seems. If you are diving in cold water (Germany) then it can be a useful feature. A Mark 11 only has the spring exposed and is easy to rinse out. I say this because you mention vacation diving only and does anyone really choose to go dive in cold water on a vacation, uh, maybe, I guess.
My suggestion is a Mark 17 Evo DIN version, with two identical second stages, either C370 or, better G260.
The Mark 19 adds weight and complexity which you do not need, seen your user profile.

My suggestion is a Mark 17 Evo DIN version, with two identical second stages, either C370 or, better G260.
The Mark 19 adds weight and complexity which you do not need, seen your user profile.
I think that is what I said? However, at least in America, the Mark 17 Evo is NLA.

And if the OP plans to dive in the Caribbean or similar places they might wish to purchase the A clamp version and then purchase the DIN kit as going the other way is more expensive and less convenient to purchase. There are very few DIN tanks in the Carib and if there is a convertible valve you can be 90% sure it is welded in place by corrosion or impact damage and there are no Y/H valves either.

I think that is what I said? However, at least in America, the Mark 17 Evo is NLA.

And if the OP plans to dive in the Caribbean or similar places they might wish to purchase the A clamp version and then purchase the DIN kit as going the other way is more expensive and less convenient to purchase. There are very few DIN tanks in the Carib and if there is a convertible valve you can be 90% sure it is welded in place by corrosion or impact damage and there are no Y/H valves either.

I only own DIN regs, so that is what I have always taken for Caribbean diving. I also have a DIN-to-yoke adapter from DGX. It was $20 at the time, but I think they've gone up to $25.

As you say, I have had plenty of occasions in the Caribbean where the yoke insert was corroded in place and I had to use my adapter. I run my tank higher up my back than you do, but it's still not so high that the yoke adapter causes any problems. My 1st stage is around the base of my neck, not behind my head. So, the body of the 1st stage being closer to me does not mean it's closer to my head.

In other words, even for someone who only ever dives in the Caribbean, I would still recommend a DIN reg and having a yoke adapter. There's always a chance you'll have an opportunity to use a 3500 psi steel tank, which would have a 300 bar DIN valve and no adapter will let you use a yoke reg with that.

Aldora and Deep Exposure, both in Cozumel, offer high pressure steel tanks. Kona Diving Company offers HP steels in Kona, Hawaii. They are out there. I like to breathe a lot, so I have made a point of looking for them. :D

All I am saying, is that it is often easier and less expensive to convert from A clamp to DIN that the other way around. I find no redeeming qualities in the adapters, the worst of both and none of the good of either. Just coming back from the Red Sea I converted my regs to DIN for that trip. Upon returning I immediately headed to Cozumel and so converted back to A clamp. Then I went to TLR for a weekend and went back to DIN with my own tanks. Heading to Cozumel in two weeks and I am A clamp again. What I will not do unless it is an absolute emergency and no other way, is a DIN to yoke converter. I just really, really, hate them. The only place I use them is on my PCP air rifle fill whips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom