New Reg Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just recently started diving and decided it is time to get my first regulator. I am getting my advanced open water certification next weekend.
I have narrowed down my choices to ScubaPro MK2+/R295, Mare V16 Proton XL, and Mares V16 Proton metal.
Which is generally considered the best of the three. Any pros and cons would be helpful.
Thanks

The Mares are nice but I haven't used the 2nd stage before. I do have a V16 1st stage that I really like. I've used a MK2+/R190 since I was OW certified. I've had it in salt, fresh water springs, lake, 40'sF temp. All with no problem. They are rock solid and easily serviced almost anywhere if traveling.
The MK2+ is an unbalanced regulator and will breath a little harder when the tank falls below 300psi (I've noticed). Some say this is a margin of safety. I don't have a problem with it. I've connected my Mk2+ 1st stage to a G250HP 2nd stage and it actually makes for a really great breathing regulator.

If possible, I would try to "rent" them all or see if you can try them out in the pool 1st.

taliesin58:
I just recently started diving and decided it is time to get my first regulator. I am getting my advanced open water certification next weekend.
I have narrowed down my choices to ScubaPro MK2+/R295, Mare V16 Proton XL, and Mares V16 Proton metal.
Which is generally considered the best of the three. Any pros and cons would be helpful.
Thanks
I'd go witht the Mares V16 Proton metal, it's an excellent reg, still current in the line, a ballanced diarphram design, great reg. all way 'round.

It's an apple and oranges comparision. the Mares regs are balanced while the Scubapro Mk 2 is not.

The Scubapro Mk 17 is a better comparison as it is a balanced diaphragm regulator. It's a excellent design that offers high performance in additon to bullet proof cold water performance. It is normally packaged with the balanced but no adjustable S555 or with the blanced and adjustable X650. However if you bu from an authoirizsed dealer, you can get one with any SP second stage. A Mk 17 R295 would be economical while a Mk 17 G250HP would offer peak performance at a bit less than the cost of the equal performing Mk 17 X650.

DA Aquamaster:
It's an apple and oranges comparision. the Mares regs are balanced while the Scubapro Mk 2 is not.

The Scubapro Mk 17 is a better comparison as it is a balanced diaphragm regulator. It's a excellent design that offers high performance in additon to bullet proof cold water performance. It is normally packaged with the balanced but no adjustable S555 or with the blanced and adjustable X650. However if you bu from an authoirizsed dealer, you can get one with any SP second stage. A Mk 17 R295 would be economical while a Mk 17 G250HP would offer peak performance at a bit less than the cost of the equal performing Mk 17 X650.

My thoughts exactly. And I would get the MK17 ahead of any Mares Regulator.

I agree with DA, I've had a chance to use some Mares stuff in the past ( an old shop I once worked at sales Mares) I'm a Scuba pro baby myself. either way you go your getting quality. The combo DA suggested would work great.

I have been using the Proton Metal V-16. I like the moisture retention that comes from the metal second stage. It does not freeflow while diving straight into a strong flowing spring. I guess that is due to the "mesh grid" front. Besides a dinky mouthpiece, all else has been quite good. A full-sized mouthpiece cost me $4.

I got mine half a year ago from Diver's Direct. They have them on special now for $249.

Happy diving!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I am unable to ask for help at dive shops in my current country. So I must turn to the online community for help.
I think I will go with the V16 Proton metal. The only thing I am worried about is bubble interference. Anyone have any experience with this?

Bubble interference with what? I guess if I ask that I've not experienced any.<G>

I think I will go with the V16 Proton metal. The only thing I am worried about is bubble interference. Anyone have any experience with this?

When I've used mine, the bubbles get directed back towards my ears...not in front of the mask (if that's what you meant :D ). My vote's a :thumbs_up:

Best of luck!

Anna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom