New diver, no diving partner, what do I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RMichaelson86

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Going to be getting certified shortly, I live in Santa Cruz. I have been diving once in Mexico, other than that I have nothing under my belt. How did you all meet your diving partners? (Relatives/friends family?). I can't picture anyone on the boards wanting to buddy up with a relatively new diver.

I see that there are group dives up in Nor Cal.. are these people all experienced divers? Would a newcomer like myself not be welcomed, or better yet, would I be able to get through the dive?

Much appreciated

There is a whole bunch of nice people who dive Monterey regularly -- Ben_ca, Cali, and others.

When I got certified, I joined the e-group from the shop where I took my classes, and put a call out for people who were willing to dive with a newby. I did my first non-instructional dive with a wonderful, patient woman I met that way. And shortly thereafter, I found Scubaboard, and met my mentor in our local forum, and the rest is history. Scubaboard is an incredible resource!

Glad that I stumbled across the board :)

Unfortunately none of my friends have the money to get into diving.. No one in my family would be interested.

I guess I will try what you did, the only problem now is finding a shop/place to get certified. Any recommendations?

RMichaelson86:
Hey guys,
Going to be getting certified shortly, I live in Santa Cruz. I have been diving once in Mexico, other than that I have nothing under my belt. How did you all meet your diving partners? (Relatives/friends family?). I can't picture anyone on the boards wanting to buddy up with a relatively new diver.

I see that there are group dives up in Nor Cal.. are these people all experienced divers? Would a newcomer like myself not be welcomed, or better yet, would I be able to get through the dive?

Much appreciated
i will dive with any new diver any time i can, i was a new diver not so long ago, and it is very fun and rewarding to dive with new divers , they are more excited and more happy to see new things all of the time, you can call or write any time and if i can i will be there to dive , and i usally am in monterey every other weekend if i can swing the motel bill ,lol, 916-396-1469 cell, e-mail jimernst@sbcglobal.net

RMichaelson86:
Glad that I stumbled across the board :)

Unfortunately none of my friends have the money to get into diving.. No one in my family would be interested.

I guess I will try what you did, the only problem now is finding a shop/place to get certified. Any recommendations?
monterey bay dive center-glens aqurius dive center both at breakwater monterey and both great shops,(glenns 1-831-375-6605) i dont have no# for monterey bay dive center, but if you choose them (monterey dive center) ask for jeared, at glenns ask for trevor or better yet ask for glenn himself, i know these guys well!!! they will treat you right, tell glenn i sent you and you want a discount he will laugh and mess with you but in the end he will give it to you and take care of you!!!!! P.S welcome to scubaboard, you will find many great friends-dive buddies here!!!

Well you found the place to post up too. After you are certified and ready to go out and explore our vast ocean and Monterey Bay, post up! As PADI will teach you part of taking classes is networking with people to dive with. If you like someone in your class, get their number and plan some more dives. Jim, just set you up with pretty much all you need to know, unless you want to work through a local dive shop.

"I see that there are group dives up in Nor Cal.. are these people all experienced divers?" The ones I have met are super cool, and will welcome anyone with a good attitude. Their experience is vast and they lean more towards the DIR group which is a good thing.

jim ernst:
i will dive with any new diver any time i can, i was a new diver not so long ago, and it is very fun and rewarding to dive with new divers , they are more excited and more happy to see new things all of the time, you can call or write any time and if i can i will be there to dive , and i usally am in monterey every other weekend if i can swing the motel bill ,lol, 916-396-1469 cell, e-mail jimernst@sbcglobal.net

WOW, thanks for the offer. In fact, I would be happy to cover your motel bill in that scenario. I'll save your contact info. MUCH appreciated.

jim ernst:
monterey bay dive center-glens aqurius dive center both at breakwater monterey and both great shops,(glenns 1-831-375-6605) i dont have no# for monterey bay dive center, but if you choose them (monterey dive center) ask for jeared, at glenns ask for trevor or better yet ask for glenn himself, i know these guys well!!! they will treat you right, tell glenn i sent you and you want a discount he will laugh and mess with you but in the end he will give it to you and take care of you!!!!!

I appreciate the recommendations; I guess I have a place to start now. I have heard that you want to find a good instructor/course, integrity is important. Sorry to ask, just trying to end up in the right direction; you would recommend Glenns on a professional basis?

Peter_C:
Well you found the place to post up too. After you are certified and ready to go out and explore our vast ocean and Monterey Bay, post up! As PADI will teach you part of taking classes is networking with people to dive with. If you like someone in your class, get their number and plan some more dives. Jim, just set you up with pretty much all you need to know, unless you want to work through a local dive shop.

"I see that there are group dives up in Nor Cal.. are these people all experienced divers?" The ones I have met are super cool, and will welcome anyone with a good attitude. Their experience is vast and they lean more towards the DIR group which is a good thing.

Sounds good. I think I'll make some phone calls and set things up. I'll need to research equipment, I would have no clue where to start. Again the boards will be helpful when it comes to this.

What do you mean by DIR group? Thanks

RMichaelson86:
WOW, thanks for the offer. In fact, I would be happy to cover your motel bill in that scenario. I'll save your contact info. MUCH appreciated.

I appreciate the recommendations; I guess I have a place to start now. I have heard that you want to find a good instructor/course, integrity is important. Sorry to ask, just trying to end up in the right direction; you would recommend Glenns on a professional basis?
dont be sorry to ask,hotel bill no problem,i got that,asking is how we all have learned and i too am still learning, yes i recomend glenns or monterey dive center they are both good shops, glenns is smaller a shop and smaller classes but both are good, check out both before you decide, i know glenn better of the two, he and trevor have done me real good business, glenn is a friend and i have just gotten to know jeared , so as i say check with both and compare there prices, they are both are good!!!

i don't think old timers will mind to dive with a newbie...diving is fun and much more enjoyable with a group...i think you just have to reconcile all your schedules so you can dive together...

have fun!

-lai-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom