New Abalone Tag Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianM,

Great answer. Couldn't have done much better myself, and I get paid to do it. I'm working on fixing some issues with the new ab tags. We will have better tags next year.

Thanks, I'll PM you my mailing address so you know where to send my paychecks :wink:

Can I select my new title? "Official Abalone Regulations Liaison" has a nice ring to it!!

I finally went abalone diving for the first time this year on May 3. Tagging the abalone was not too big of a deal. The biggest challenge was keeping all of the papers dry during the dive with a waterfroof plastic container and then handling the papers on shore with wet hands. It was a bit difficult to punch the holes, but I managed with the ball point pen. Next time I might bring a nail with me in order to punch the holes.
urmaddad

If you're using zip ties to tag your abs, just poke the tie through the hole and it should go through.

Trying to remove the chad is not easy and some people have torn their tags doing so.

I finally went abalone diving for the first time this year on May 3. Tagging the abalone was not too big of a deal. The biggest challenge was keeping all of the papers dry during the dive with a waterfroof plastic container and then handling the papers on shore with wet hands. It was a bit difficult to punch the holes, but I managed with the ball point pen. Next time I might bring a nail with me in order to punch the holes.
urmaddad

You can pre-punch the holes while at home prior to your trip. Some folks are using a hole punch for this. Works better than trying to do it on the beach.

Back
Top Bottom