Question Should new BCD from LDS never seen water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChristopherB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

First time post, but not the last. After years of getting hand-me-down equipment I've finally splurged and purchased brand new equipment from my LDS, Dixie Divers. They've been great thus far. Today I picked up a new Scubapro Hydros X and had some concerns. I took it home, started getting it fitted, and noticed something strange.

Inside one of the pockets was a quarter that was corroded along with some paper all disintegrated. I could barely make it out but the paper had some Scubapro print, maybe what was supposed to be instructions or a tag? I thought that was strange so I inspected top to bottom and there's scratches on the front buckle and it looks like the tank has been mounted. Removing the bottom rear dump valve there is a little bit of white inside which leaves me to believe left over salt.

Here's what I found in the pocket:
PXL_20230312_202723970.jpg

Here's the buckle:
PXL_20230312_202447850.jpg
Some water spots on the BC:
PXL_20230312_202457950.jpg

Scratches that look like it was mounted to a tank:
PXL_20230312_203712822.jpg

Never purchase new before, is this something to expect when purchasing from a LDS? Is one of the perks purchasing locally is that you can try the equipment? (They do have a pool out back as well for courses, but maybe for try before you buy as well?)

I'm going to go back tomorrow but would like some advice as if this is acceptable or not.

Attachments

• PXL_20230312_202457950.jpg
    PXL_20230312_202457950.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 51
Im still not seeing the problem. It was put on a tank and taken for a test ride. Big deal. Youre just wasteing fuel. You next one will have the same wear in a few dives.

We test fins. What do you think happens to the 3 pairs of fins I didnt like, in the pool?

Or the 7mm Bare semi-dry suit that tried to strangle me? Sell it used because the tag is folded?

Im still not seeing the problem. It was put on a tank and taken for a test ride. Big deal. Youre just wasteing fuel. You next one will have the same wear in a few dives.

We test fins. What do you think happens to the 3 pairs of fins I didnt like, in the pool?

Or the 7mm Bare semi-dry suit that tried to strangle me? Sell it used because the tag is folded?
I have a car with 15,000 miles I'd gladly sell to you at its original sticker price.

It's a matter of honesty, if one sells an item claiming it is new, then there should not have been used and there should be no wear. Any honest dive shop sells demo equipment at a discount. I would approach them about the problem and gauge their reaction, as mistakes do happen, and resolve it accordingly.

Since I normally buy used gear I wouldn't run into this issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom