Question Should new BCD from LDS never seen water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IF and only IF, you want to continue a relationship with a business that has already given you ample evidence to demonstrate dishonesty. I would get a full refund and then buy a different BC for half that somewhere else.
agree -but id make that the next decision -if you can get a as new bcd with a warranty and at a reduced price you can still buy elswehere after that. Theres no obligation

When I bought my halycon for 500 (normal price 1000) it had zero signs of being used. It was bought two days before and used on two dives. Because it had been used even though it didn't look it the LDS sold it to me used at a used price.

The basics of this is the shop is ripping off a new guy because they think they can.

Take that back and shop elsewhere.

Is this the Dixie divers in west palm FL?

If so I've had bad experiences with them in the past and would definitely recommend you never go there again.

The item was purchased as "new" it should be unused.

If it had been used as a demo then it should have been sold cheaper and advertised as an ex-demo model.

Agreed that within a few dives it will not look brand new, but that depends on how well you look after your kit.

Now you know 'new' should actually mean 'new', you know what to look for when purchasing new kit. You can inspect the piece and sometimes clearly see scratches etc. In the future, tell the shop that you actually don't think it's new and negotiate a discount, if you still want it. Or look elsewhere for gear that is in fact unused.

I think it's rare though that 'new' gear has actually clearly been used. Does it happen often? Does anyone know?

Now you know 'new' should actually mean 'new', you know what to look for when purchasing new kit. You can inspect the piece and sometimes clearly see scratches etc. In the future, tell the shop that you actually don't think it's new and negotiate a discount, if you still want it. Or look elsewhere for gear that is in fact unused.

I think it's rare though that 'new' gear has actually clearly been used. Does it happen often? Does anyone know?

In general I would nope not, if this is the shop I think it is. I'm not at all surprised by the owner trying this.

Is this the Dixie divers in west palm FL?

If so I've had bad experiences with them in the past and would definitely recommend you never go there again.

Dixie Divers is in Deerfield Beach. I’m not aware of them having a separate location up in West Palm Beach. There’s also a shop of the same name in Utah it appears, which seems odd.

I’d definitely want either a truly brand new unused (that’s what new means) BCD or several hundred off given that it’s ‘as new’.

Yeah keep it and get a warranty from them?
The same business that has demonstrated that they can not be trusted.
Fool me once...

It all depends upon how they react. Mistakes can happen. If they blow smoke and try and obfuscate, ask for a full refund and walk.

If it is the shop in Deerfield, I used to live just down the road and I never used them. Used their charter boat once. Once was enough. I did all of my equipment business with Force-E (2 shops very close to that Dixie location) and Dive Gear Express (who is also just 15 min from that location). I spent (and continue to spend) a good bit annually at both.

I'd also be another vote for a BP/W over the jacket BCD.

Used/Demo/Open Box Display should carry a reduced cost. I'd also want clarification in writing as to the warranty.

I'd also be concerned as to a "shop warranty". In this day and age, who knows if they will be around to honor any latent defect...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom