TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - January 21-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
El Nino, Avalon, Nitrox, & more
(please scroll down for details)
This wasn't quite the storm they predicted . . .

EL NIÑO OR NOT? - One of the hallmarks of an El Niño year, which 2024 is supposed to be, is that it produces a wetter winter because the jet stream moves further south. So many forecasters were predicting more rain than we got Fri/Sat/Sun. What's interesting is that one of the forecasts I follow (Weather Underground) has a 100% chance of rain for 7-9AM Monday morning. It's unusual to see any forecast claim to be 100% so I'll be interested to see how this plays out. (This is being written at 7PM Sunday.)

AVALON REPORT - We went over this past Wednesday and, other than the overall cloudiness of the day, had a nice time. Water temps were 59-61º on my gauge, entries were easy due to lack of swell and a high tide, but the viz was only so-so. It was probably 20-30' on our first dive, and maybe 30-40' on the second and third dives. John Lumb was over there two days earlier and reported 60' of viz. So you never know and as I always say, you don't know if you don't look. One encouraging sign as to the overall health of the Underwater Park is that we saw four or five good-sized abalone and that's something you wouldn't have seen a few years ago. No Giant Sea Bass - really not the time of year for them - but the dives were pleasant. Next foray over is scheduled for February 21.

CUBA REPORT - Susy Horowitz just came back from a return visit to diving in Cuba and sent us this note: "When I did Jardine de la Reina in 2017 the reefs were pristine and fabulous. Sadly the coral bleaching (and possible increase in the number of Gringo tourists) has taken it's toll. The reefs were in a sad state. No fish species that can't also be found in the Keys but all fish species were present in way higher numbers than in the Keys."

WHALES IN MARCH - Just a reminder that we can still add people to our Whale Hugging trip to San Ignacio Lagoon March 18-22. There are still some spots available. Bear in mind that this is a non-diving trip as all whale cavorting is done from a panga. (But the whales are allowed to be in the water.) It's a really interesting adventure and perfect if you've got a non-diver as well. Give us a call at 310/652-4990 if you're interested in joining.

SILKY SHARK REGENERATES A FIN - This is one of those "Isn't that interesting" stories. Shark researchers discovered a Silky with much of its dorsal fin missing. But when they encountered the same shark a year later (it had been tagged), it seems as if the animal was able to regenerate much of the missing tissue. This is considered a ground-breaking discovery and you can read more about it here: SILKY SHARK REGENERATES FIN.

NAUI NITROX CLASS - It's happening via Zoom on January 31 and if you'd like to learn a way to extend your bottom time with a similar relative risk to diving on air - note I'm not saying "safer" - then get yourself signed up and learn all the ins and outs of using an enhanced oxygen mixture.

POSTAGE RATES INCREASED - Effective Sunday, cost of a first class stamp has gone up to $0.68 for the first ounce. Additional ounces remain at $0.24 per ounce. Postcards are $0.53.

HUMPBACKS BUBBLE-NET FEEDING - That they do this has been documented. But this is the first time I've seen it shot overhead from a drone. Really looks cool. The whales blow a ring of bubbles, fish don't want to swim through the bubbles, and the whales surface in the middle with mouths wide open. Watch the center: WHALES FEEDING.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom