Never been to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you have been diving wih me (Ryan is your name, isn't it?) If I recall correctly, aren't you a waiter or bartender? (Apologies if that wasn't you.) If that IS you, I can see how your career choice can color your opinions of people. You should get out more and meet people who aren't paying customers and expecting you to kiss their patootie.

No, you didn't say everyone. But I've lived in many states in this country, traveled to many more, and also to other countries. I've met rude, nasty, scary people everywhere I've traveled. And I've met sweet people most places I've traveled with some surprising exceptions.

just about every decent person has, or is moving from South Florida into the Carolinas/Tennessee/Georgia - so I'm not the only one who thinks this way :)
I see that you did not take statistics in school. It is totally impossible for just about every decent person to have moved or be moving when I still count dozens of really nice people...who have NO intention of relocating...as my friends.

What you are failing to report are the people who move up there and DETEST it up there, but can't move back down because they've lost their homestead exemption and can't afford the taxes on a new purchase. I agree that the taxes for new home buyers suck down here but I bought mine ten years ago and my taxes are cheap. One of my best friends realized her mistake in moving to Charlotte almost immediately, and now she can't sell her home up there (because so many people there are trying to sell right now...hmmm...maybe it wasn't the paradise that was expected?) and she has been depressed for nearly 3 years and wishes she could come back. She is a teacher and spends every school holiday down here wistfully regretting her move.

South Florida is NOT for everybody and I'll be the first to say that. But to compare it to a prison camp is just laughable. This is a really nice place to live with really nice people and it is HOME.

I find that if you act friendly, you'll make friends.

Just sayin'. :popcorn:

p.s. so why are YOU still here if you hate it so much?

I find that if you act friendly, you'll make friends.
Just sayin'. :popcorn:
p.s. so why are YOU still here if you hate it so much?

Well stated Debby. I think you hit the nail on the head (but in this case, it won't help).
There's three major interstates leading out of the state if it sucks that bad here :shakehead:

Ok So I have planned a trip to FL for end of June ( I am from Montreal). It was an unexpected decision so i am really happy I made it.

I am not certified yet, I should start my pool classes in April and the OW dives end of May. (I Had already planned this before even thinking about FL) Now my question is should I take the AOW there in FL? My friend lives in Palm Bay and after i read a post here got a little worried because that is where I will be spending most of my vacation time. I know as a new diver I will find everything amazing underwater. If I plan to take my AOW does anyone know of any good LDS where I can get certified? I am also going to rent a car so I can get around a bit so it does not need to be in Palm Bay, just somewhere around there.

I know my friend plans to take me to Key Largo for a day or 2 so that I can dive. She does not dive, but the g-f does and she will be coming to key Largo to dive with me.

I am going to be in FL for about a week and a half i want to take advantage of the most diving I can get while I am down there. So I guess either way I would need to get to a LDS to be able to dive during the week I am there since I dont have a dive buddy. Any suggestions?

Nelia, you can vacation anywhere in Florida and enjoy your vacation. There is diving along the entire coastline of Florida both on the Atlantic and Gulf sides. Depending on what your interests are will help guide you in what part of Florida to go diving on any given day. We dive the entire state, we travel to what most would call South Florida pretty much all the time, depending on the experience levels of the customers helps guides us to where we go. Our destinations is anywhere from 80 mins to 135 mins from our store, all of these are can be commuted or inexpensive accomodations can be arranged. The only real difference in doing your training here versus Montreal (I admit I've never had the pleasure of diving in Montreal) would be the enviroment in which you get your training, if the LDS/Instructor does what they are supposed to do you should walk away from the experience feeling as though you earned something you worked for, enviroment indifferent. We have probably the most flexible course structure anyone can possibly have without having a divesite right outside the door, although we kinda do, its not pretty (wink wink). Once you have your dates set for when you are heading to beautiful Florida, if you would like us to be your LDS away from home we're here for you whether its for fills, rentals, logistics, courses, and a hangout. Feel free to call us or email us with any questions.

As for the folks fleeing South Florida, its a rumor we started a long time ago, there is always on any given day more folks heading into South Florida the leaving it, waving goodbye as you pass them is ok too:D

Schott

And really, there is a mass exodus of good people from Florida - just about every decent person has, or is moving from South Florida into the Carolinas/Tennessee/Georgia - so I'm not the only one who thinks this way :)

And yet you're still here, interesting.

I've been diving with you Debby, actually. I didn't say EVERYONE in South Florida is awful, but jeeze, if you have been anywhere else in the country - including the Keys, it makes the tri-county area look like a prison camp.

If you are staying in the area, Lauderdale By The Sea is one of the few decent places left to stay/hang out.

And really, there is a mass exodus of good people from Florida - just about every decent person has, or is moving from South Florida into the Carolinas/Tennessee/Georgia - so I'm not the only one who thinks this way :)

Are you insane!? I have dove all over these areas. What you say
makes NO SENSE!!!:shakehead:

Are you insane!? I have dove all over these areas. What you say
makes NO SENSE!!!:shakehead:

:huh:You survived a trip to South Florida? You must have been here before all the decent people left.:popcorn:

Thank god all those :mooner::clown:ing decent people left, better diving for us miscreants

:popcorn:

Nelia, you can vacation anywhere in Florida and enjoy your vacation. There is diving along the entire coastline of Florida both on the Atlantic and Gulf sides. Depending on what your interests are will help guide you in what part of Florida to go diving on any given day. We dive the entire state, we travel to what most would call South Florida pretty much all the time, depending on the experience levels of the customers helps guides us to where we go. Our destinations is anywhere from 80 mins to 135 mins from our store, all of these are can be commuted or inexpensive accomodations can be arranged. The only real difference in doing your training here versus Montreal (I admit I've never had the pleasure of diving in Montreal) would be the enviroment in which you get your training, if the LDS/Instructor does what they are supposed to do you should walk away from the experience feeling as though you earned something you worked for, enviroment indifferent. We have probably the most flexible course structure anyone can possibly have without having a divesite right outside the door, although we kinda do, its not pretty (wink wink). Once you have your dates set for when you are heading to beautiful Florida, if you would like us to be your LDS away from home we're here for you whether its for fills, rentals, logistics, courses, and a hangout. Feel free to call us or email us with any questions.

As for the folks fleeing South Florida, its a rumor we started a long time ago, there is always on any given day more folks heading into South Florida the leaving it, waving goodbye as you pass them is ok too:D

Schott

Thanks Schoot..

I will be in contact with you after I get my dates for the trip but am looking between the 23 June to the 4-5 of July. (if work has no problem with these dates hehe) But I am really looking forward to going, never really vacationed in the US before.

Thanks again

Miami/Broward/Palm Beach counties are awful, violent, dangerous, rude, and unfriendly.

Where did the bad man touch you? Show us on the doll...

images

Seriously though, I travel to Florida frequently and was just commenting about how much friendlier everyone (including strangers in the grocery store) is compared to people in the DC metro area. I think maybe you should get out more; travel to DC or NYC and then tell me how "awful, violent, dangerous, rude, and unfriendly" the people in Broward County are. :eek:hbrother:

Also -so it isn't off topic-, I've found the diving in FLL to be some of the best diving I've done.

Thanks Schoot..

I will be in contact with you after I get my dates for the trip but am looking between the 23 June to the 4-5 of July. (if work has no problem with these dates hehe) But I am really looking forward to going, never really vacationed in the US before.

Thanks again

If you can postpone your trip a bit you can join us for ScubaBoard's Invade the Keys IV, July 10-13 :) SBers from all over the world descend upon Key Largo for four days of diving and socializing. It was a blast last year!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-keys/

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom