Recommendations for diving in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is that it may not be the best place for a beginner. My experience was that the reefs are miles offshore and waves can be a problem. Choppy and coming from all directions. I also experienced unexpected current on the bottom. I'm experienced, but the conditions were too much for me. Were it me I'd look for a local shop or take him to someplace benign like Bonaire.

Lots of new divers begin their dive journeys in Florida. Many good shops, instructors, and boats to choose from and great dives for all skill levels. Sea conditions aren’t guaranteed anywhere, even Bonaire.

Many have said key largo, and I would agree that key largo is an ideal location to get certified and Rainbow Reef is one of the best operators to go with down there. West Palm Beach is another good option. Pura Vida and Force-E are two great shops to get certified with and both are very close to the Blue Heron Bridge.

What time of year were you thinking?

I got certified in KL, SeaDwellers was teh shop. Good experience, good diving. Great shallow leaning dives, minimal current and lots of choices for shops. Now that we have a condo in Puerto Morelos, MX, that's where my gear lives and I get to visit and use it from time to time so most of my diving is down there. Headed to KW in August, might rent and dive there just for kicks, or may not.

I give KL a 2 thumbs up emoji all day long as a place to become certified.

JW

check out Pura Vida in Riviera Beach-Palm Beach. There are plenty of Vrbo and AirBnB in the area.

My first pick would be through Getaqui in LBTS. Not cheap but you will get your money’s worth by quality of training.
+1. You'll be hard pressed to find a better instructor than you'll get Aqui Water sports. Also, LBTS = Lauderdale by the Sea, which is the north side of Ft. Lauderdale. In addition to doing boat dives, they can provide shallow shore dives as well. As others have said, however, the dives are always weather dependent and winter can be hit or miss.

My other two favorite shops in FL are Pura Vida in West Palm and Horizon Divers in Key Largo. I have had nothing but consistently outstanding service from them and Aqui.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom