Need advice on wetsuit, please help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I just purchased my flight to Florida for April 8th to April 18th finally going to visit my mom who is retired on the Tampa coast...

I'm really excited about getting an opportunity to dive warmer waters but I need your help on wetsuit selection...

Can anyone that has dove in Florida please lend me a hand? If you know me, I get cold easy on dive three in Monterey but can hang two dives easily... Now you know why I converted over to drysuit...

Rumor has it that the Floridians get cold easy and dive a 5mm full wetsuit during the winter months, so what is April considered?

I own a Pinnacles ME7 and a 3mm heated torso Merino with a 7mm hooded vest Merino. Would I be best in picking up the Pinnalces 3mm Seal? It's on sale at my LDS for $99 bucks...

Or should I just take my 7mm and dive all day in there waters?

Thanks,

MG

P.S
tickets to Florida roundtrip from Oakland to Tampa are only $231.00 I couldn't pass it up.

If it were me I would dive in the 7mil. The water temp. isnt gonna be real warm in April.

If it were me I would dive in the 7mil. The water temp. isnt gonna be real warm in April.

Okay,

No hood? How about gloves and booties? What would you recommend? I have the 4mm gloves and 6mm booties.

Thanks

I'd advise you to do with a 7mm full suit for April. I dove off of Ft Lauderdale last April and the water was still quite cold. Your gloves and booties should be fine.

Okay,

No hood? How about gloves and booties? What would you recommend? I have the 4mm gloves and 6mm booties.

Thanks

Definitely the 6 mil boots. I would most likely stay with the hood but go with my 3 mil gloves.

Definitely the 6 mil boots. I would most likely stay with the hood but go with my 3 mil gloves.

I only have a hooded vest which is attached, 7mm at the head, 3mm at the core. Is that too much neoprene? I could purchase just the hood, but what mil should I get?

Thanks,

I only have a hooded vest which is attached, 7mm at the head, 3mm at the core. Is that too much neoprene? I could purchase just the hood, but what mil should I get?

Thanks,

That might be a bit much. Last year when I dived down off Ft. Meyers in April I had my 7 mil wet suit, 6 mil booties, 3 mil gloves and was more than happy with my drysuit hood. Might be a good idea to pick up a 3 or 5 mil hood only.

If you think you need 7mm of warmth for it, why not just pack the drysuit?

If you think you need 7mm of warmth for it, why not just pack the drysuit?

I could but then I need to purchase another undergarment for those waters. I'm trying to cut down on cost since I own the 7mm wetsuit. I would only spend on a 5mm hood.

MG

I dont know if the water down there is ever cold enough for my drtsuit.

Back
Top Bottom