Advice needed - Irish Red Haired Diver with beard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another pasty white guy here.

I wear a full brim hat, rash guard and sun glasses. I do not put sunscreen on my forehead or below my eyes. This prevents the sunscreen from getting in my eyes. I keep my beard trimmed and deal with a touch of leaking. Nothing bad.
Also I got lasik and it changed my life. I would highly recommend looking into it.
thanks andrew

I've used Hawaiian tropic everyday active on my face, eyelids, forehead for 40+ dives with no issues. Be sure you're not over applying. I'm one Fitzpatrick skin type above you.

Get a little tub of food grade silicone o-ring grease and dab a little across your moustache where the mask skirt sits. No leaks. I tried to "shave a tiny area under your nose" trick and it just ended up pulling my mask skirt up against the bottom of my nose, which was very uncomfortable.

these dont come off under water?
I was thinking of getting a hooded rash guard, but it feels very confined
Not at all. Never had one come off in 40+ dives since I started using them. I'm sure they could of course if they were knocked or pulled off.

Hooded rash guards are a pain in the water as the hood captures bubbles and can mess with buoyancy. I take a buff in the water and wear a ScubaPro beanie. The beanie protects the scalp and the buff covers the neck when kicking out. If I get stuck in the surface for some reason, I pull up the buff to cover my face.

I don’t use sunscreen. I have a big sun hat handy in the shore or boat.

Don’t forget gloves if you are teaching it taking a class. Holding a float for an hour in the sun can fry your hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom