Advice needed - Irish Red Haired Diver with beard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m so white that it’s illegal for me to remove my shirt near an airport for fear of blinding pilots and causing mass casualties.

When in the tropics sort of situation I use something like this
IMG_0140.jpeg

I rub it in my hair and beard (both having once been reddish) and for half an hour or so I look like a kabuki dancer until it soaks in, head, face, neck, lower arms back of hands etc. I stay out of the sun as much as possible, I’ve had cancer cut out a few times but that for ignoring these precautions for far to many years.

Get a better fitting mask, the sunscreen shouldn’t make much difference once it’s soaked in.

I can’t help with your eye problems but find a mask that fits well and look into having the lenses modified / changed to work for you.

Shave under your nose and far enough down on your cheeks for the mask to seal.

I’m of mostly Anglo-Irish-Scottish descent, with red hair in my immediate family (although not on my head), also with an astigmatism, facial hair, and did my divemaster in the tropics. For me:
- I did my divemaster course a decade ago wearing a long-sleeve rash top and board shorts. I’m now a wimp with the cold (probably because I’m more relaxed and still) and wear a 3mm suit in the tropics but back then I didn’t want to. I dive dry at home.
- A broad-rim floppy hat that can be stuffed in a bag, splashed with seawater and generally thrown around is great sun protection for your head and face. One with a string under your chin is good on a windy boat.
- Reef-safe sunscreen works. It just goes on thick and doesn’t rub in as well as the other stuff. Cover up first before deciding if you need sunscreen.
- I wear daily disposable contacts for astigmatism. They work and in several hundred dives I have never lost one, including doing open-eye DM skill demonstrations (and maskless cave training). Even if you lose one it’s easily replaced once you’re back on the boat or land.
- Polarised non-prescription sunnies (over contact lenses) are great. No need for expensive ones
- Masks with a wide skirt and not low-volume are generally more tolerant of facial hair. You might still need to shave your upper lip or apply some product.

Hi All
I know there are a lot of questions here, but I am hoping I will come across someone in the same "boat" as me here :)
I have completed the advanced PADI course and the rescue diver one, including about 45 dives or so
I will go to the Philippines, Puerta Galera in July for six weeks to do the dive master course. I guess about three dives a day during this period.
I have red hair, fair skin and a beard, and I am hoping someone with the same characteristics can give me some advice.

1- What suncream can you use on your face to stop it from seeping into your mask and burning your eyes, any advice on brands or ideas?

2- I generally overheat in a thick wetsuit (anything over 3mm) and find I am using a lot of energy to submerge; I seem to be very buoyant. I am thinking of just getting a hooded SPF lycra t-shirt to protect me from the sun, but ensuring I don't over-heat, is this a good idea, or would you think i am better off going for a wetsuit of 3mm at least, any ideas, any suggestions for a hooded t-shirt that you can dive with and that stops the sun. Where i will be diving the water generally is not that cold.

3-I have a beard, and every time I use a mask, water gets in it, if its not from my beard, it is from the suncream, any ideas?

4- I also wear glasses, and was thinking of getting goggles with the prescription on them, but i have astigmatism, is it worth getting a pair of these?

thanks for the time to read this and give input, really appreciate it

Adrian
So this is when I was a much younger boat captain, diving 4 times a day.
capt frank.png

Get a prescription mask

Stream to Sea OR Beaver 43 if you can find it. Stream2Sea has Officially Expanded to the EU - Stream2Sea: Tested & Proven Reef-safe Sunscreen & Skin Care

The water is from your mustache unless you're wearing a full face mask. You can put Vaseline on the mustache or trim it very close.

Rash guard and board shorts for the Philippines. If you get chilly, get some 4th element Thermocliine shorts, pants, shirt, or jacket.
1717544844346.png
1717544710072.png
1717544622843.png

+1 for trimming the top few mm of the stache. Surprising how little you need to trim for a good seal. For best results, shave that part instead of using an electric trimmer

I can't speak to having a beard but can to sunburn.

I wear a headband that covers my forehead and most of my head. I have a neck gaiter. I wear it when I dive to cover any exposed areas if needed whilst waiting for pickup.

Keep your hands under the water, not at the surface whilst waiting on the boat or other divers.

I don't use sunscreen either for a couple of the reasons mentioned by you and others above.

Long sleeve sunshirt under my wetsuit and obviously when not in complete shade.

I have red hair, fair skin and a beard, and I am hoping someone with the same characteristics can give me some advice.
Well that would be me

I've been living and diving in the Middle East since 1986 and had my fair share of learning about the sun's interaction with Scottish genes.

What suncream can you use on your face to stop it from seeping into your mask and burning your eyes, any advice on brands or ideas?

I don't use any these days, primarily cos the stuff stings my eyes. I do wear a hat or Buff on the boat and cover up. Post-dive after I shower I use an after-sun cream of whatever is available to rehydrate my skin.

I generally overheat in a thick wetsuit (anything over 3mm) and find I am using a lot of energy to submerge; I seem to be very buoyant. I am thinking of just getting a hooded SPF lycra t-shirt to protect me from the sun, but ensuring I don't over-heat, is this a good idea, or would you think i am better off going for a wetsuit of 3mm at least, any ideas, any suggestions for a hooded t-shirt that you can dive with and that stops the sun. Where i will be diving the water generally is not that cold.

My recent trip to Indonesia I did three dives per day for six days (plus a night dive) and regret not wearing my 3mm in 29C water. I don't have much fat on me and consecutive dives over consecutive days will wear you down. I'm also over 70 so that may also be a factor.

I have a beard, and every time I use a mask, water gets in it, if its not from my beard, it is from the suncream, any ideas?

I trip a few mm below my nose, it's enough. When I had a full beard 20-30 years ago it was not an issue on the rest of my face.

I also wear glasses, and was thinking of getting goggles with the prescription on them, but i have astigmatism, is it worth getting a pair of these?

I can't comment about this, but just from personal experience with other people I would suggest that this is a good idea.

Adrian - I do a lot of diving in Bonaire. I'm a Brit and sunburn just thinking about it. I swear by these:

As for masks - get a Hollis M1 and you will have zero issues. I have a full beard and mustache. Had issues with some masks - no issues at all now. Also highly recommend the Fourth Element Mask Strap to replace the stock Hollis strap. Game changer.
these dont come off under water?
I was thinking of getting a hooded rash guard, but it feels very confined

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom