Cave & Trimix: Fourth Element 5mm Proteus v 7mm Xenos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rybee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a new wetsuit for some Cave Diving in Mexico (Jan) and Trimix diving in Egypt (March/April).

The Proteus was designed for cooler water yet only comes in 5mm, likened to a semi-dry
The Xenos was designed for warmer water yet comes in a 7mm (as well as 3mm and 5mm)

Cost aside - what's going to to keep my more comfortable, the 5mm Proteus or the 7mm Xenos? And any pros or cons I'm overlooking.

I don't tend to feel the cold that much but lots of people encouraging 7mm minimum for Mexico caves.

Also, I tend to dive more tropical waters like Thailand, Philippines, Maldives, Egypt etc... so if I can get away with the 5mm Proteus and have one wetsuit for all, that's a winner.

After a new wetsuit for some Cave Diving in Mexico (Jan) and Trimix diving in Egypt (March/April).

The Proteus was designed for cooler water yet only comes in 5mm, likened to a semi-dry
The Xenos was designed for warmer water yet comes in a 7mm (as well as 3mm and 5mm)

Cost aside - what's going to to keep my more comfortable, the 5mm Proteus or the 7mm Xenos? And any pros or cons I'm overlooking.

I don't tend to feel the cold that much but lots of people encouraging 7mm minimum for Mexico caves.

Also, I tend to dive more tropical waters like Thailand, Philippines, Maldives, Egypt etc... so if I can get away with the 5mm Proteus and have one wetsuit for all, that's a winner.
I used to dive a 5mm semi dry in Mexico. Once our diving started closing on the three hour mark, I moved to a 6/7/8mm semi dry.
I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to being cold, so YMMV.

Worth mentioning it'll be non-deco open circuit in Mexico so I can't imagine dives being much over an hour long?

Worth mentioning it'll be non-deco open circuit in Mexico so I can't imagine dives being much over an hour long?
I'm not sure your level of experience or intended dives or body composition, but it's rather easy to get to a 2hr dive without a stage in most systems. After a week of 2, 2hr dives a day on OC, I'm chilled solid in a new 7mm and would move to a drysuit with what you're expressing.

Unless you are doing single tank cavern diving, they will probably be much longer than you anticipate. Most of the caves are relatively shallow.
3+ hours is easily done with a single stage and no deco in several caves down there.
I have brought my drysuit a few times, but personally I am comfortable doing one long dive per day with the wetsuit.

FE wetsuits generally have a higher thermal rating than many other wetsuits.
A Proteus II 5mm will give roughly the same thermal protection as a Xenos 7mm, but the fit is different.
Try them on before buying one.

And of course it also depends on how well you can endure colder temperatures. If you have a trilam drysuit, you could also go with that one.

Get a 5mm + (a 3mm-5mm hooded vest OR a 3-5mm short wetsuit)

It gives you the most flexibility for the water temps you are looking since you can layer your suits

I am on the skinnier side and dive 5mm suit+3mm hooded vest in Mexico 2.5h-3.0h dives and feel great. That said, I only do ~4 divining days in a row, if you go for a longer trip with more consecutive diving days, your will get chilly eventually

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom