Need advice on wetsuit, please help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm now considering packing my drysuit like Dannobee suggested and others. It appears I can get the undergarment for just $90 bucks and it's rated for 65 degrees and up.

Or just bring the drysuit with the Action Wear 100 fleece rated for 65 degrees and up?

MG

Or grab what is in your closet and go diving dry. All you really need is a pair of fleece sweat pants and a fleece sweatshirt. Then if needed you could add a capilene base layer or equivalent for a little more warmth. The special jumpsuit is not a requirement, but if you want to own one, then that is another reason to purchase the jumpsuit.

Mike, I don't know about the Pinnacles, etc. I wear cheap wetsuits and I stay, more or less, warm enough. But I think you get colder than I do, so that is a factor to consider. I just can't vouch for anything - sorry!

It looks like Tampa will be getting close to 80 degrees this coming weekend. Wouldn't the drysuit and even thin undergarments be really hot outside the water?

It looks like Tampa will be getting close to 80 degrees this coming weekend. Wouldn't the drysuit and even thin undergarments be really hot outside the water?

I doubt it would be unbearable. Beats the heck out of being cold after the first dive.

When I went to Invade The Keys last year, there were a few divers diving dry with Santi 400 unders and the water temp was 84ish (air temp was about the same or a bit warmer). I broke out in a sweat just watching them on the surface, but hey, that's just me.

Here's two more cents...

Take the 7mm suit and whatever hood gloves and boots you already have. If you get too warm underwater, ditch the hood and/or gloves. If it's still to warm (doubtful) unzip the wet suit. At least you can still take a leak...

It's a lot easier to cool off than warm up.

Okay,

No hood? How about gloves and booties? What would you recommend? I have the 4mm gloves and 6mm booties.

Thanks
I wore gloves for protection because the mooring line (It think thats what its called) to get to the reef was covered with barnacles. I used 6mm booties because that was all I had and it was fine.

I wore gloves for protection because the mooring line (It think thats what its called) to get to the reef was covered with barnacles. I used 6mm booties because that was all I had and it was fine.

Good call, I forgot about those. Along with barnacles, they also have fishing hooks on them. Some type of glove should be worn, unless you want to keep looking every time you put your hand on the mooring line.

Mike, if you're going to buy unders, pick some that'll work in SoCal. My cold water unders are Bare CT200's, and SoCal unders are Bare T100's. I can vary either with a 300g Polartec Jumpsuit. That will cover anything from about 40 degrees on up to 75 degrees. Any warmer than that and I'll bring a 4/3 full suit. If it's warmer than 82 degrees or so, I'll just dive in a T-shirt and wakeboarding shorts.

Good call, I forgot about those. Along with barnacles, they also have fishing hooks on them. Some type of glove should be worn, unless you want to keep looking every time you put your hand on the mooring line.

Mike, if you're going to buy unders, pick some that'll work in SoCal. My cold water unders are Bare CT200's, and SoCal unders are Bare T100's. I can vary either with a 300g Polartec Jumpsuit. That will cover anything from about 40 degrees on up to 75 degrees. Any warmer than that and I'll bring a 4/3 full suit. If it's warmer than 82 degrees or so, I'll just dive in a T-shirt and wakeboarding shorts.

Hey Dan,

I went with your advice, I will NOT be diving wet in Florida's Gulf waters. It appears the water in April should still be in the 60's. I went ahead and purchased the DUI Actionwear jumpsuit 150 which is rated for 65 degrees and up.

Since I dive the Compressed neoprene gloves for my my CLX450 suit, I am going to remove them for this dive and put on my latex seals and dive my Pinnacles Wet 4mm Kevlar glove with Merino linning. That should keep me plenty protected against the barnacles.

I don't think I'll dive the hood since I have a thick head and have dove Monterey without a hood in the 50's.

MG

Well,

Looks like temps are still in the low 60's in Tampa. I purchased the DUI actionwear undergarment 150, it's rated for 65+. Also I will be removing my compressed neoprene dry gloves and just attaching my latex seals and using my 4mm kevlar gloves with Merino.

I will also bring out my 7mm wetsuit to see if I get more enjoyment in freedom of diving if the water is not too cold.

Just gloves, and booties, no hooded vest.

Just dive some warm old navy sweats or fleece. Under your dry suit of course. Ive been in mine in jeans and a t-shirt before :).

Back
Top Bottom