Need advice on wetsuit, please help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOAAs bouys online for Tampa area. Just click on a bouy to see current info, including water temps (not every bouy measures the same parameters).
NDBC - Central Florida Recent Marine Data
Current temps are in the low 60s in FL west coast (which can vary significantly from No. FL, So FL or the Keys). I wouldn't expect a huge increase in temp by next month. Best to get advice from the locals by posting in the Greater Tampa Bay Forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-tampa-bay-area/

Have fun!

Elena,

Thanks a lot for the link, I took your advice and posted there and hope the Tampa divers get back to me...

Thanks,

MG

Mike,

I would go with the 7mm suit and separate hood. That seems like the most adaptable setup to me. Have a great time and I'm looking forward to a full report when you get back. I have yet to dive in FL but it's on my list. :D

Mike, take your drysuit and a thinner set of unders. If the water temp is 60, you'll probably see more experienced divers diving dry anyway.

I'm getting pretty wimpy. If the water temp is 70 or colder, I'm diving dry.

Oh, BTW, here's the buoy readings all in one link.

http://www.pdfamily.com/weather/buoy/FLbuoy.php

Mike, take your drysuit and a thinner set of unders. If the water temp is 60, you'll probably see more experienced divers diving dry anyway.

I'm getting pretty wimpy. If the water temp is 70 or colder, I'm diving dry.

I don't think you're getting wimpy Dan. The way I see it, if you already own a drysuit, there is 3mm wetsuit temps, and if that is not enough, then I'm going dry. No need to mess around with thick neoprene (if you already have the drysuit).

Michelle,

I believe Sarah has dove Florida and would be able to tell me what wetsuit she used. Oh and by the way, should you ever want to dive Florida let me know. My mom is retired and owns a 5 bedroom house on Apollo Beach.

Any friends of mine are friends of hers and you could stay free room/board as long as you are diving :)

Michelle I got a roundtrip ticket from Oak to Tampa for just $233.00 couldn't refuse...

I need to find Will, remember him? He dove with us on our night dive when he swam out without his lead weights. Last I remember he was stationed in Florida, if anyone has his contact number that would be nice to have.

Thanks,

MG

Hi there. Sorry - just getting to this. I have dove Florida, but it was off Ft. Lauderdale, which the waters might be completely different than off Tampa. From my best memory, I have dove Ft. Lauderdale in early Feb, March and April, each time in a 3mm. Only once with gloves and never with a hood. That being said, as I have been advancing and getting longer BTs, I was getting chilled around 40 minutes. HOWEVER, surface intervals have generally been pretty warm, so I didn't experience the chill.

This year when Mark and I go, we'll be diving 3mm and packing hooded vests and simple hoods, boot (fins require it) and gloves as I do enjoy the interchange-ability of the set up. Also bear in mind if you will be doing multi-day dives as that might be a factor in doing more wrt to exposure protection.

Hope you are all well! ~Sar

Anyone know of a similiar water temp thread for the Ft Laud/Miami area???

Michelle,

I believe Sarah has dove Florida and would be able to tell me what wetsuit she used. Oh and by the way, should you ever want to dive Florida let me know. My mom is retired and owns a 5 bedroom house on Apollo Beach.

Any friends of mine are friends of hers and you could stay free room/board as long as you are diving :)

Michelle I got a roundtrip ticket from Oak to Tampa for just $233.00 couldn't refuse...

I need to find Will, remember him? He dove with us on our night dive when he swam out without his lead weights. Last I remember he was stationed in Florida, if anyone has his contact number that would be nice to have.

Thanks,

MG

Yes, I'm sure Sarah can give you more info on FL diving. She's been there quite a few times.

That's a great price for your ticket!

I think you're talking about Brad. His screen name is wdunne311 on SB. You should send him a PM.

Michelle - you following me around on here?? :stalker:

:) Just kidding!

:peepwalla:

I'm now considering packing my drysuit like Dannobee suggested and others. It appears I can get the undergarment for just $90 bucks and it's rated for 65 degrees and up.

What I'm trying to get at is freedom to dive, I don't want to arrive as an Astranaut with so much bulk, it's okay to have the bulk in our waters because it's cold.

Sarah what do you think about the Pinnacles Seal 3mm with my 3mm heated torso? That would give me 6mm in the core? I would use my 4mm gloves and 6mm booties?

Or just bring the drysuit with the Action Wear 100 fleece rated for 65 degrees and up?

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom