Hi Ladies! I’m looking for wetsuit advice (or any advice!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am new to scuba diving, I live in Michigan and even in the summer, the bigger lakes here need a 7mm wetsuit, and even that really doesn’t always cut it - so I hear. The water temp is 50-60 degrees at surface, into mid 30s around 50ft+. At least where I’m planning to dive in Lake Superior.

I’m not exactly planning to put putz around to fridgid cold dark waters just yet to see deep shipwrecks so I’m sure the vast majority of my dives now won’t be past 50 ft.

I tried on a 5mm 12T Henderson and that fit pretty great. The 12s are too short for me. I’m assuming a 12T in 7mm would also do the trick. I’m 5’11”.

There weren’t any other brands to try and it’s hard to find tall options to try on without ordering.

Is Henderson a really good brand?

I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback on all that. I’m fairly top heavy but slender so I don’t know if a men’s could even be an alternate route but I doubt it with my build.

OR…if I should scratch that altogether and just go dry suit? I want to try to get some dives in this summer and the dry suit class is going to take more precious summer month time that is running out in these here parts. Plus if I’m ordering it…it would need time to arrive…Yada yada.

I just don’t know if it’s worth it to get the 7mm for cold water lakes, I do plan to get a hood and gloves for the wetsuit. Or just get a dry suit and call it a day.

Are there any brands that anyone recommends for either direction? Dry or wet?

Thank you in advance!
If you can afford it get a made-to-measure drysuit. I dove in U.K. waters for 8 years in a semi-dry before switching to a drysuit. No more excuses for not doing the second, or third, dive after that; and I now dive year round off the Scottish West coast.

P value - can’t comment, knee pads - yes, pockets - yes, and a radar reflective strip on shoulders and hood, but hope you never need them.

You’re choice on neoprene or membrane, they both work.

Reactions: 8mb
I’m wondering if anyone has any feedback on all that. I’m fairly top heavy but slender so I don’t know if a men’s could even be an alternate route but I doubt it with my build.
You may decide to get a wetsuit in the future for warmer water. I've worn Henderson suits for years because the length fits me better than other brands and I have been happy with them. The only downside is the fit is more for an apple-shaped body, so the suit fits me well in the bust and is a bit large in the hips. Keep in mind that the fit in the bust is really important. A suit that is too tight is very dangerous – it can cause IPE.

You may decide to get a wetsuit in the future for warmer water. I've worn Henderson suits for years because the length fits me better than other brands and I have been happy with them. The only downside is the fit is more for an apple-shaped body, so the suit fits me well in the bust and is a bit large in the hips. Keep in mind that the fit in the bust is really important. A suit that is too tight is very dangerous – it can cause IPE.

We were just in the quarry for hours in a 7mm and was pretty amazed at how comfortable it felt to wear a wetsuit. I’ve never worn one in the water and it really was like a second skin, I’m also very excited about the dive but I can see having both definitely. Now I’m back to the idea of getting a thick wetsuit for the end of this summer. I’ll easily do 30-50 dives before the end of September not going too deep and getting acclimated so I think that will carry me through and give me experience for diving in general towards the dry suit which I would receive by next summer for more diving options as the lakes warm up.

I appreciate your feedback on the Henderson - it does really feel great and the T sizes fit me well, just need to narrow it down and get 👏 to👏 diving👏! 🙂

We offer 7 mm suits designed specifically for women. The two piece design with attached hood makes this sort of suit warmer than any other design.

3D-womensoceanbluefull-wetsuit__23583.jpg

It sounds like you’re going drysuit anyway (good choice!) but if you end up looking for wetsuits in the future, Henderson is a great brand. Barr also has women’s sizing that comes in petite and tall versions, and I think you can exchange if the sizing is wrong.

The dive shop is getting two sizes of the Henderson in by the end of next week, I think if one of those fits well I might just get it because I usually leave to camp in the woods and pick berries and rock hunt on the beaches in the upper peninsula in August and summer weather waits for no one - so I’ll likely be getting a Henderson assuming it fits and I’ll be diving in Lake Superior (where it’s shallow!) next weekend 🙂 excited!!!

I appreciate all the feedback, it’s cozy to know I’m making informed decisions ☺️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom