HELP - Need insurance claim advice following scuba incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I won't ever dive again, by the time I surfaced I couldn't breathe and that sensation is not one I want to experience again. I've been checked over and told there is no reason why I couldn't dive again but I'm too traumatised.
To me it doesn't even sound like your problem was from the dive, unless you decided to breathe in a bunch of seawater. I certainly wouldn't give up diving based on pneumonia

To me it doesn't even sound like your problem was from the dive, unless you decided to breathe in a bunch of seawater. I certainly wouldn't give up diving based on pneumonia
I took on the water at the surface in the panic, my lung was crackly and tight on the way to the surface and I was struggling to breathe. Not sure what caused that element

Once you provided the insurer with the information required by the policy, which appears to be the name of the instructor and shop, it should be their problem, not yours.

I don't know how these things work in the UK, but there does appear to be formal process you can follow for insurance disputes over amounts less than £150,000 which won't require you to pay out for a lawyer.

Before she goes off an initiates a 3rd-pary dispute, she need sto find out if the "instructor" is actually an SSI instructor. SSI can tell her. If he is not an instructor, then she was not diving with an instructor and her insurance does not cover her.

Once you provided the insurer with the information required by the policy, which appears to be the name of the instructor and shop, it should be their problem, not yours.

I don't know how these things work in the UK, but there does appear to be formal process you can follow for insurance disputes over amounts less than £150,000 which won't require you to pay out for a lawyer.

I edited my comment to include the link about the Financial Ombudsman Service. I wanted to make sure you saw it. Here's a direct link: Financial Ombudsman Service: our homepage

Again, I don't know how this works in practice. In the US once a business becomes aware that a customer is willing to go to a regulator, things have a way of getting resolved if the complaint looks even remotely justifiable.

Before she goes off an initiates a 3rd-pary dispute, she need sto find out if the "instructor" is actually an SSI instructor. SSI can tell her. If he is not an instructor, then she was not diving with an instructor and her insurance does not cover her.
He isn't and SSI have sent a stern email asking for all reference to SSI to be removed from his website.

If he is not an instructor, then she was not diving with an instructor and her insurance does not cover her.
Perhaps. But determining this would require knowledge of the exact wording of the contract and a deep understanding of applicable common law, statutory law and relevant regulations.

I edited my comment to include the link about the Financial Ombudsman Service. I wanted to make sure you saw it. Here's a direct link: Financial Ombudsman Service: our homepage

Again, I don't know how this works in practice. In the US once a business becomes aware that a customer is willing to go to a regulator, things have a way of getting resolved if the complaint looks even remotely justifiable.
Thank you!

OK. Any other information you want to dole out, a little bit at a time?
Thanks for that, that information was new, the email had only just come through. I thought this might be a helpful forum but clearly just full of clever people

Back
Top Bottom