Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got bored to tears after about 5 minutes.
It is a boring dive. If I have to do it, I'll look closely for tiny stuff growing and moving on the structure. I got my eyes fixed a year ago, but dive with the same bifocal mask, so like to look at tiny things when I can - like the little bitty crabs on anemones and such.

Rotanman likes to dive with a magnifying glass.

As an FYI: One cannot get DAN dive insurance until one is actually dive certified. I tried getting my wife insured years ago in anticipation of a trip where we planned for her to do her OW cert dives and was unable until after she had a cert number. Also, whereas dive insurance is always a good idea and I certainly wouldn't dive without it, it is not necessarily required or mandatory everywhere.

Technically, this is not true. A dive center can register their Open Water students with DAN for free of charge and they will be insured. They can do this BEFORE they even get near a pool.

Importantly will rent BC, reg, and a BIG air tank...so... which op is known for best equipment servicing
And using the newest gear?

Hola! At Salty Endeavors all our equipment is new. Our BC's are back-inflate donuts and have integrated weight pockets. Our regulators are diaphragm balanced. I would encourage you to ask any shop you intend to rent gear from if they have weight-integrated BC's and balanced regulators. If not, you know you are immediately working with less than ideal equipment.

Our BCs - Buoyancy Compensators Arrive to Salty Endeavors | Salty Endeavors

Like everyone else here, we can do AL100's, too. However, we own our 100's (read: well maintained) versus other shops which must rent theirs.

Any other questions please just let me know.

Burglaries are common on Cozumel, the cops ineffective, so be well insured. I like hotels with 24 hour front desks. My trip insurance and home insurance combined covers me well, but who wants to deal with that crap and the insurance claims.

Plus there's room service(cleaning) in hotels, that Airbnb can't provide...that's advantage too correct?

I like my B&B. Wonderful local specialties for breakfast with fresh baked goods, owners (very nice) live on-site (very secure), room cleaned every day, nice garden area with a cool pool (even in the summer), and a couple blocks from my fav dive shop (Also a cute puppy to play with and she doesn't even steal my shoes anymore :)). One of beauties of Coz is if you go there a few times, you find it's got something for most all tastes. Very flexible. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

May i have that contact info?

I like my B&B. Wonderful local specialties for breakfast with fresh baked goods, owners (very nice) live on-site (very secure), room cleaned every day, nice garden area with a cool pool (even in the summer), and a couple blocks from my fav dive shop (Also a cute puppy to play with and she doesn't even steal my shoes anymore :)). One of beauties of Coz is if you go there a few times, you find it's got something for most all tastes. Very flexible. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

May i have that contact info?

Well you know how the bathrooms are still relatively intact and in a private area of the wreck? Maybe I spent some alone time in there. :cool:
Is there a rack of magazines?

Hola! At Salty Endeavors all our equipment is new. Our BC's are back-inflate donuts and have integrated weight pockets. Our regulators are diaphragm balanced. I would encourage you to ask any shop you intend to rent gear from if they have weight-integrated BC's and balanced regulators. If not, you know you are immediately working with less than ideal equipment.

Our BCs - Buoyancy Compensators Arrive to Salty Endeavors | Salty Endeavors

Like everyone else here, we can do AL100's, too. However, we own our 100's (read: well maintained) versus other shops which must rent theirs.

Any other questions please just let me know.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here Henry.

Just because a BCD doesn't have integrated weight pockets does no mean it is "less than ideal equipment." Looooong before weight integrated BCD's came along, we successfully dove with weight belts. That's a convenience rather than a necessity to diving. Wait until your divers start losing weight pockets and see how long you keep that sentiment.

As far as larger capacity tanks, Blue XT~Sea also owns our own tanks. We have newly purchased rental equipment that does not have integrated weight pockets, but it is high quality equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom