"older" not-very-experienced diver and a prospective-diver adult son looking for advice on where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. I got PADI certified at age 64 about 7 years ago but haven't dived in about 4 years now. But this Christmas holiday, my 32 year old non-diver son and I are looking to do a trip for him to get certified and me to take a reactivate refresher course. We're tentatively thinking about the Caribbean ( Caymans, Belize, Turks and Caicos, Roatan) . Would really LOVE some advice about our best options! Here's what's on our "wish list": A good school, where he can get certified and I can do the needed refresher/reactivate course. All boat dives....I'm just not up to or for lugging gear acorss the shore anymore! Good marine life, good visibility, warm (ish) water in late Dec. (I hate wet suits and would really love to dive in just a skin and am comfortable doing so in temps in the low 80s. ) Enough folks around, bars and restaurants, etc. to go to in the evenings for my son to enjoy on his own. Clean, nice place to stay with decent food options , but doesn't (in fact, shouldn't be) overly fancy (or pricey!)

All suggestions and advice welcome!

I'd recommend West End, Roatan.

I'd recommend West End, Roatan.
Second that. With a couple of caveats. End of December is high season, so prices are higher than other times of the year. Also things are beginning to book up already, so don't delay too long if that's where you decide you want to go. Water temps are definitely in your range: 28-29C in December last year. I dive a rashguard top and swimming trunks in Roatan in December, and I hate being cold... However, the topside weather there at that time of year is a dice roll which can make diving a challenge. Make sure whatever shop you go with can do dives on both sides of the island, and that they will bus you over to the other side if seas are choppy in West End, not take you around the point on the boat. Huge difference in the experience. Most that do it will not charge extra if it is weather-related.

+1 for Grand Cayman and Living the Dream. It’s likely the easiest dive trip to arrange with the least intimidating diving. And flying from the Eastern US is a nice short hop. There’s certainly better diving throughout the world; but in Grand Cayman you’ll dive in bathtub-warm, super clear water with no surge or current and see lots of pretty fish and occasional rays and sharks. It’s probably everything you’d want as beginner divers.

+1 for Grand Cayman and Living the Dream. It’s likely the easiest dive trip to arrange with the least intimidating diving. And flying from the Eastern US is a nice short hop. There’s certainly better diving throughout the world; but in Grand Cayman you’ll dive in bathtub-warm, super clear water with no surge or current and see lots of pretty fish and occasional rays and sharks. It’s probably everything you’d want as beginner divers.
I'll third the motion, and add that part of where you go depends on what you want to do other than diving. If you like lots of good restaurants and nice beaches, Grand Cayman is a good spot. We usually dive with Deep Blue but it's been a few years. The best part about Cayman (for us) is all the diving is within a 10-15 min boat ride, and you can wake up early, get in two great dives, be back to your hotel for a lunchtime nap, and then have an excellent dinner somewhere.

Did you check out Cozumel island? It might be perfect fit.

I've been to Coz but my recommendation based on OP's ask is West End, Roatan.

And all that said, Coz could work and San Pedro, Belize would work, as long as they locate near town.

The potential problem with Roatan, Belize and presumably Cozumel at that point in time, is that the weather could be sublime or it could be subpar.

Roatan doesn't close. If you can't dive one side, you can dive the other.

San Pedro may close due to high waves, though after 25 years, I can only recall one time at Christmas, many times in February. Now, having said that, they might have been taking me out diving late December but it was miserable. 😄

Cozumel closes the ports.

Beach bars are best San Pedro Belize.

Restaurants are best Cozumel.

Chances to dive, prices, quaintness of beach bars best in West End Roatan

Back
Top Bottom