Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're looking for a package deal, go with an AI and the onsite scuba operator. You might like the crappy food the cattle boats and the loud drunken parties after dark.

For the BEST scuba experience in Cozumel, you go a-la-carte dining, in a small quiet no frills hotel with excellent service, dine at local area restaurants and hire out a private divemaster to take you out.

Sorry, just my .02 cents... Life's just too short to eat AI food and scuba on the big crowded boats

I totally understand. Having read about cozumel now that's what i did. Booked a hotel(suites colonial) for 5 nights.

Next is Dive op.....(i am renting bc,reg too)

Dive with Martin, Salty Endeavors, a couple others I'm considering.

Isn't hiring out a private divemaster mean
I won't be in a group? In emergency a group is better isn't it? Anyone in that group going Out of air, tiger encounter etc.... group is better right?

Also are night dives worth in cozumel... what if there's a current lol

Booked colonial after reading reviews about less noise compared to other two. Thx....5 nights 250$ incl tax etc..
Happy to have helped out a bit. As for your other questions, you might want to consider Blue XT Sea for your diving. Blue XT~Sea Diving - Cozumel Scuba Diving - Blue XT~Sea Diving
They leave from and return to the downtown pier that is only a block and a half from Suites Colonial. Nice high speed 6 pack boats and outstanding divemasters and boat Captain's. Also, night dives are totally worth doing and awesome. On a typical 10 day trip, I usually do 2 night dives and you will be taken to night dive locations that are perfectly safe.

Just spend my second day in a chamber with a wonderful man who has way more experience than I do. He has 3500+ dives and has been an Instructor for the 7 years. Is currently paralyzed on half of his body. Why are you looking for cheap??? Why not start a thread on who gets seen with DCS most often. Truly heartbreaking. He doesn’t deserve where he is but was cutting corners. Do you really need to dive cheap or just dive?

Happy to have helped out a bit. As for your other questions, you might want to consider Blue XT Sea for your diving. Blue XT~Sea Diving - Cozumel Scuba Diving - Blue XT~Sea Diving
They leave from and return to the downtown pier that is only a block and a half from Suites Colonial. Nice high speed 6 pack boats and outstanding divemasters and boat Captain's. Also, night dives are totally worth doing and awesome. On a typical 10 day trip, I usually do 2 night dives and you will be taken to night dive locations that are perfectly safe.

Thank you <3 I cannot price match some of the lower priced operations that Kris is considering.

@miserkris - I hope that whoever you choose you choose you have a safe and wonderful experience.

Booked colonial after reading reviews about less noise compared to other two. Thx....5 nights 250$ incl tax etc..
It is quiet, dependable hot water.

Isn't hiring out a private divemaster mean I won't be in a group?

Ask the dive op for details. You are usually "with a group" no matter what because you are all on the same boat together. In the water, hiring a private DM typically means that they are your buddy. Doesn't necessarily mean the two of you will be far from everyone else.

In emergency a group is better isn't it?

That really depends on the composition of the group and how they all react to the emergency.

Anyone in that group going Out of air, tiger encounter etc.... group is better right?

"Tiger encounter"... I would definitely like to be in that group. That would be epic. "Out of air"... you want to avoid groups that include those kind of people.

Also are night dives worth in cozumel... what if there's a current lol

Night dives in Coz are definitely worth it. If there is current (and there is... there always is) then you drift. And then the boat picks you up at the end of the dive. Just like during the day. Rest assured, they do this all the time. It's new to you, but business as usual for the dive ops in Coz.

Thx all. I'll be there sep 15 -20.

I like cheap deals but on the dive op...i won't cheap out. Rental equipment should be top notch and serviced. DM should be my buddy!
No matter what i always follow DM... unless it's shallow like 25'.

I think i have a month to decide the op... so I'll research among the 5 in hand.

What do divers usually do... 2 tank per day?
I'll do at least 2 night dives i think.
Do boats leave once a.m and once around 2 or 3 p.m from city center?

I have 60 dives. The last chunk was in aqua cat bahamas last sep... included night dives.

I wanna tour the island on a moped once.
The evenings I'll just stroll along the beach.

Are there any free off beach snorkel area in coz that are worthy?

I like cheap deals but on the dive op...i won't cheap out. Rental equipment should be top notch and serviced. DM should be my buddy!

I think i have a month to decide the op... so I'll research among the 5 in hand.

What do divers usually do... 2 tank per day?
I'll do at least 2 night dives i think.
Do boats leave once a.m and once around 2 or 3 p.m from city center?

I have 60 dives. The last chunk was in aqua cat bahamas last sep... included night dives.

My vacations are all about diving, so I usually dive as much as I can and am up to physically. I don't know if there is anything "typical" in terms of # of dives per day. Some people like to do 4 dives per day (2 AM and 2 Afternoon)- Some people prefer 2 dives a day and some of those people prefer doing them in the morning and others in the afternoon. You probably just need to decide what you think you want to do and then make sure the dive op you choose can accommodate that.

DM should be my buddy!

Just a respectful word of caution and perhaps unsolicited advice.

Be careful with your expectations that the DM "should" be your buddy. This is actually not a fair or realistic expectation. All divers on the boat are paying for the service, which includes the DM. The DM is there as a guide and to assist in emergencies, however he is there for ALL divers on the boat and cannot be a dedicated buddy for any one diver.For those traveling solo, plan to stick with the group (as required by marine park standards) and/or plan to hire a private DM if you want the DM to be your buddy.

Mopeds/scooters: Unless you own one and/or have a lot of experience with them, I do not recommend it. Scooter accidents are the #1 reason for emergency room visits by visitors to the island.

Strolling along the beach is something you can only do on the north and south ends of the west side of the island. The east side beaches are more extensive, but they are covered in rotting seaweed right now, and the shoreline anywhere near San Miguel is ironshore, not sand.

The snorkeling at Chankanaab is good, but there's a substantial entry fee. Playa Corona (a little father south) has fairly good snorkeling and the entry fee is a lot less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom