Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thx all. I'll be there sep 15 -20.

I like cheap deals but on the dive op...i won't cheap out. Rental equipment should be top notch and serviced. DM should be my buddy!
No matter what i always follow DM... unless it's shallow like 25'.

I think i have a month to decide the op... so I'll research among the 5 in hand.

What do divers usually do... 2 tank per day?
I'll do at least 2 night dives i think.
Do boats leave once a.m and once around 2 or 3 p.m from city center?

I have 60 dives. The last chunk was in aqua cat bahamas last sep... included night dives.

I wanna tour the island on a moped once.
The evenings I'll just stroll along the beach.

Are there any free off beach snorkel area in coz that are worthy?
7523b9e5-a050-477b-8bda-6502001a83e7_screenshot.jpg

9f7db2cd-fff3-4f8c-9a6e-1882692bb70b_screenshot.jpg

Mopeds/scooters: Unless you own one and/or have a lot of experience with them, I do not recommend it. .

Np...i grew up riding bikes, mopeds etc.

Np...i grew up riding bikes, mopeds etc.
As an avid motorcyclist would say.....we've heard that one before.:(

Riding scooters - easy. Dodging Cozumel traffic and hazards - potentially tragic.

If you hit a patch of sand over asphalt on a scooter at 40mph and try to turn the wheel you can very easily end up in a ditch. That happened to my brother with me right behind him; the scooter launched into the ditch, he fell off onto the road, and I nearly ran over him. We were young and stupid, and he was very lucky not to be injured much worse than he was. As it was, he spent a couple of hours in the emergency room being treated for cuts and road rash.

My dentist was killed on a rented motorbike in Mexico. A friend of mine who lives on the island was hit by a car while he was on a scooter and was in the hospital for a couple of months. The son of another friend of mine was severely injured in a scooter accident on Cozumel.

An experienced rider will most likely be OK, but most scooters on the island are rented to people with little or no experience with them, and then there's Vacation Drinking.

And shorts and flip flops aren't what one would call protection either...I'm a firm believer in ATGATT! Or I dont ride...

Riding scooters - easy. Dodging Cozumel traffic and hazards - potentially tragic.

I've done moped in cozumel before my diving days.

Grew up in India riding motor bike can't get worse traffic than that lol. We had a system called create your own lane

I totally understand. Having read about cozumel now that's what i did. Booked a hotel(suites colonial) for 5 nights.

Next is Dive op.....(i am renting bc,reg too)

Dive with Martin, Salty Endeavors, a couple others I'm considering.

Isn't hiring out a private divemaster mean
I won't be in a group? In emergency a group is better isn't it? Anyone in that group going Out of air, tiger encounter etc.... group is better right?

Also are night dives worth in cozumel... what if there's a current lol

I hope your hotel package is not all inclusive. Get out and enjoy the amazing CZ restaurants.

How is it mean to hire out a DM? They are making the money instead of a fraction of it from a shop. I pay higher to the DM than a shop and my service is outstanding. Sometimes my DM brings us beers for after the 2nd dive and might make lionfish ceviche with fresh kill from dive 1.

what tiger encounter are you talking about? 30 years I have dove in CZ, never seen a tiger, only a tiger grouper.

Night dives, i kinda stopped doing bc I hate the sea worms that seem so swarm you

I hope your hotel package is not all inclusive. Get out and enjoy the amazing CZ restaurants.

How is it mean to hire out a DM? They are making the money instead of a fraction of it from a shop. I pay higher to the DM than a shop and my service is outstanding. Sometimes my DM brings us beers for after the 2nd dive and might make lionfish ceviche with fresh kill from dive 1.

How to shop for a pvt DM like you do? I also need good well maintained reg,bc for rent. Can pvt DM provide those?

Don't wanna bypass the OPs and talk to pvt DM, seems unethical way of contacting them. Am i still in a small group of say 5 or 6 divers with a pvt DM?

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom