Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because a BCD doesn't have integrated weight pockets does no mean it is "less than ideal equipment." Looooong before weight integrated BCD's came along, we successfully dove with weight belts. That's a convenience rather than a necessity to diving. Wait until your divers start losing weight pockets and see how long you keep that sentiment.

I agree. Many would argue that BP/W's are "ideal equipment" and they don't have integrated weights. And there always seem to be extra weight pockets getting found and laying around but seldom the exact kind you need.

I would take about any airline over Spirit Air and say the extra money was close enough and worth the few extra $$$.
May I book you on Allegiant, then? Hope your life insurance is paid up. Something like 15% of their flights have mechanical problems, if I remember the newspaper report correctly.

I'm kinda low in dry powder this year so looking for a killer pkg deal!

If you're looking for a package deal, go with an AI and the onsite scuba operator. You might like the crappy food the cattle boats and the loud drunken parties after dark.

For the BEST scuba experience in Cozumel, you go a-la-carte dining, in a small quiet no frills hotel with excellent service, dine at local area restaurants and hire out a private divemaster to take you out.

Sorry, just my .02 cents... Life's just too short to eat AI food and scuba on the big crowded boats

May I book you on Allegiant, then? Hope your life insurance is paid up. Something like 15% of their flights have mechanical problems, if I remember the newspaper report correctly.

I don't have to deal with them out of ATL. I also wouldn't deal with Ryan Air (also doesn't fly out of ATL).

Just because a BCD doesn't have integrated weight pockets does no mean it is "less than ideal equipment." Looooong before weight integrated BCD's came along, we successfully dove with weight belts.

I'll agree with you that it was a loooooong time ago that people were forced to use weight belts.

That's a convenience rather than a necessity to diving.

Again, I'll agree with you, which is why we provide this feature on all our rental BCs. We like convenience and comfort for our divers.

Wait until your divers start losing weight pockets and see how long you keep that sentiment.

Our weight pockets do not detach from the BC so I suspect that sentiment shall stick around just like our integrated weight pockets :)

I agree. Many would argue that BP/W's are "ideal equipment" and they don't have integrated weights. And there always seem to be extra weight pockets getting found and laying around but seldom the exact kind you need.

I swear manufacturers make these detachable just so they can sell those pockets at $50 a piece. I'm very pleased with the weight pockets on our BCs. Similar in design to the Hog weight pockets, we have been able to stack 10lbs of lead per pocket and haven't lost the lead yet. Or the pocket :)

HOG 5lb Drop Weight Pockets Small Pair

I'm glad that you have found a system that works well for you and your customers.

I don't know what you are driving at. I have been diving Cozumel for over 20 years and I can safely say that there has been at least some current on virtually every dive. But as Christi says, it's not just the current that makes it a drift dive, it's the way it's done from boats. The boat drops you off and drifts with you, and that's the way of all boat dives on Cozumel, irrespective of how far the current (or lack of it) takes you. I feel pretty safe to say that you won't find a boat dive from an anchored boat anywhere around Cozumel.

Beyond that, why do you feel the need to be so combative? If you dive Cozumel, chances are it will be all drift dives, and that's a true statement.
I agree on the drift dives my first trip to cozumel was 1985, been drift diving there every since. When I shore dive I start my dive by going south against current and then finish by drift diving back to my entry point. Sure dont want to do it the opposite way or you wi find yourself exhausted or getting out to take a cab back to your drop in locations

Suites Colonial, which is across the street from Mary Carmen, is also a great choice. It is part of the Casa Mexicana and Suites Bahia family and includes the daily buffet breakfast at Casa Mexicana. It is quieter than the other 2 hotels and the least expensive. It is my preferred place to stay. Very secure hotel and extremely clean.

Booked colonial after reading reviews about less noise compared to other two. Thx....5 nights 250$ incl tax etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom