NAUI Intro to Tech, versus GUE-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious if anyone has experience with both of these courses, and their opinions between them. Obviously an instructor can make any course better/worse, depending on their teaching style, but all things considered equal, what are your opinions?

Thanks,
Jim

Aren't they 'the same'? The guy who brought 'intro to tech' to Naui, was the guy who helped (if not solely did it) develop DirF?

That was the impression I was under, but of course I get an opinion from one guy who supports one, and spouts off about the other course being not as good, etc.

Meng_Tze:
Aren't they 'the same'? The guy who brought 'intro to tech' to Naui, was the guy who helped (if not solely did it) develop DirF?

No you are incorrect about that. I think you will find it came from a group of NAUI instructors from the Tampa fl area.....Ask Bert Wilcher he can probaly give you some background....

Is there a course outline showing the skills needed to be accomplished for GUE-F online somewhere, or can someone send one to me? I have a breakdown of Intro to Tech, and would like to compare the course contents.

I took the Intro to Tech class and thought it was excellent. My understanding was that the class had been developed with the architect being Andrew G.

Biggest difference was that you have much more flexibility with gear configs (types not placement), but team diving is greatly emphasized. Plus, I wasn't up for a three day boot camp type class.

Jimmer:
Is there a course outline showing the skills needed to be accomplished for GUE-F online somewhere, or can someone send one to me? I have a breakdown of Intro to Tech, and would like to compare the course contents.

This might work.

Oops, rjack321 beat me to it.

Sean

Thanks for the link guys. The Naui course looks really similar, and is run over a 4 day period, so they both look very similar in overall setup.

I just took the Fundies retest. In the class itself you learn the proper fit of a backplate, make sure you can reach your valves, learn frog, modified frog,modified flutter,back kick, and helicopter turns. Basic 5, 5 minute buoyancy test(surface to 10 feet in 30 sec, hold for 30 sec, travel to 20 feet in 30 sec, hold for 30, travel to 30 feet then come back up. We never got to shoot an SMB but I got practice in working on the retest... and simulation dives dealing with air shares, valve failures, entanglement,.... a bunch of stuff. 2 things hurt me the most, one being rushed (Im sure to put you on edge and see how well you can react) and two doing all the basic skills hovering one hand width above the bottom...on a decline so your knees had better stay up! I think the main thing the instructor looked for was situational awareness. People found out the hard way when you're stressed and task loaded, you ignore many important things going on around you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom