NAUI Intro to Tech, versus GUE-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was corrected off line on this. It seems that intro existed prior to AG joining NAUI.

I would reccomend GUE training. I have taken the DIRF class once. I am waiting to take it again. GUE is without a doubt the best training there is. None of the other agencies can claim what GUE has done in caves. Other than my PADI IDC, it was the hardest class you can take out there and will make you a super diver.

dirdiversrule:
I would reccomend GUE training. I have taken the DIRF class once. I am waiting to take it again. GUE is without a doubt the best training there is. None of the other agencies can claim what GUE has done in caves. Other than my PADI IDC, it was the hardest class you can take out there and will make you a super diver.

The instructor makes the class. There are many NAUI, PADI, SSI, TDI, PDIC instructors who offer great classes.

GUE has a few dozen instructors, most identified by their initials, they are nowhere close to being "the best training there is".

My friend asked me to practice with him on the course, as they worked very hard. I dived in caves and he was getting into tech.

My experience was that the NAUI program was one that showcased all the skills as DIRF but he said he did a lot of class room.

The NAUI course isn't done by JJ but was done by Tim O'Leary if I read the info right. I do not know if Andrew G (don't know how to spell his name) wrote any part of the course, but I know the instructor that my buddy had was Matt Mandzuik ( i think i speled it write, I guess it's a polish thing with names you can't spell)., who tried to write a course like this for TDI at once and they denied it because it wasn't what they wanted.

I met a GUE instructor and he took me diving in Tulum last time I dove in Mexico. He was good, but I dived with Matt and his people and they were just as good in drysuits and had more tanks on when I ran into them diving in Rockport a few months ago diving at 10 meters when I hit one of them who backed into me with their fins. I felt stupid, but they laughed and met them at the boat house for a drink after and they invited us to sit at their table.

If I were diving with Gue people they wouldn't have been as kind hearted from what I've read on this board.

I just dive to have fun. I don't care as much about agencies.

julio:
The NAUI course isn't done by JJ but was done by Tim O'Leary if I read the info right. I do not know if Andrew G (don't know how to spell his name) wrote any part of the course, but I know the instructor that my buddy had was Matt Mandzuik ( i think i speled it write, I guess it's a polish thing with names you can't spell)., who tried to write a course like this for TDI at once and they denied it because it wasn't what they wanted.

I met a GUE instructor and he took me diving in Tulum last time I dove in Mexico. He was good, but I dived with Matt and his people and they were just as good in drysuits and had more tanks on when I ran into them diving in Rockport a few months ago diving at 10 meters when I hit one of them who backed into me with their fins. I felt stupid, but they laughed and met them at the boat house for a drink after and they invited us to sit at their table.

If I were diving with Gue people they wouldn't have been as kind hearted from what I've read on this board.

I just dive to have fun. I don't care as much about agencies.

That's who I've actually been talking to about doing my tech training. He gave me an overview of the Intro to Tech, and I gotta say so far I'm pretty happy with what I've seen. Hoping to get a start on my Tech training within the next couple months.

I have been taken DIRF, video taped a DIRF class (and sat through the lectures again), and I video taped a day of NAUI Intro to Tech OW class.

Both classes stressed buoyancy, trim, team dive management, situational awareness, and maintaining these things while preforming basic skills: Mask drills, reg drills, air shares, controlled ascents, etc. Both classes had lecture time, video taped ow time and video review.

There were some procedural differences, and in this particular day of the NAUI class, it seemed to me that the NAUI class was not as strict in skill performance.

I did not sit through the NAUI lectures so I can not speak to the academics.

That's all I know.

Ya, but who was the instructor? That is key regardless of agency.

I'm sure Dan Mackay would have a slightly different take on dirf over JJ right?

It all boils down to the instructors patience and understanding. Doesn't it?

I think if people see themselves messing up on tape they can't really contest not being "perfect" right?

dirdiversrule:

Absolute BULL-CRAPO-LA! GUE is NOT the best training that there is - no course is the perfect answer to any desired training; and no course "will make you a super diver".

daniel f aleman:
Absolute BULL-CRAPO-LA! GUE is NOT the best training that there is - no course is the perfect answer to any desired training; and no course "will make you a super diver".
Check out the poster's profile... PADI instructor with less than 100 dives... and look at his other posts (looking for a 5' tall GUE sticker for his truck window) and I think you'll come to the same conclusion that I did. That he's having one over on us.

Rick Inman:
Check out the poster's profile... PADI instructor with less than 100 dives... and look at his other posts (looking for a 5' tall GUE sticker for his truck window) and I think you'll come to the same conclusion that I did. That he's having one over on us.

Less than a year experience too I noticed. Either you're right or he seriously needs to update his profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom