Narrowing down my options: Apex or ScubaPro or Poseidon or Atomic or???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Killovicz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello guys Help needed here :confined: <---This guy has no reg :wink:

I'm a regular diver, diving mostly in relatively hot waters: Southern Europe and Egypt. But I sometimes end up in a cold currents (usually below 30m)! I have desire to visit Australia, Caribbeans etc.

I dive at "normal depths" from 0m-50m but I sometimes end up even deeper, never below 65m though! So I spend 85% of my diving time within 10m-35m. I do have a desire to go deep and deco, one day! But I'm planing to buy a separate rag for the purpose.

I used to and still do a lot of free diving, which is probably the reason why I never stay at same depths under a single dive. For some reason my oxygen consumption is very low so I always get the time to "look around" while the rest of the group is struggling to keep pace. So I change depth several times under a single dive which in many cases also induce a temperature change!

I've been diving in caves and at night but I don't like it. [color=''red]I like to dive on reefs and wrecks[/color] (this could get a bit deep and cold, but no more then 65m).

I dive with Full-Foot Brands this year with Mares Avanti Superchannel and with 2.5kg of weight.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]I need a regulator which:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

1. Operates easy [color='blue'](easy to breath)[/color] at all depths: first priority (10m - 35m), second priority (35m - 65m) should only be able to manage these depths since I only spend 15% of my dive time under 35m and less then 2% under 45m.

2. Operates well in relatively hot waters, but also handles cold streams solidly!

3. Is light weighted and small in size, b/c I don't like: big, heavy and clumsy reg's since It feels like that they slows me down! BUT FUNCTIONALITY FIRST!!!

I'm not a rich guy but price is not an issue on this matter, nor is the actual weight of the product b/c of the excess baggage charges nor is the ability to get service

,,and now I need HELP to EXCLUDE some of the candidates listed below:

1. Poseidon

Poseidon XStream Duration M26
This is my first choice, I just might end up buying this model, unless convinced otherwise! This one: breaths easy, can go deep can go cold! And it looks to bevery small in size The only problem is M26!
,,,and the question remains:
Does the Poseidon Jetstream MK3 operate better at relative depths (10m - 35m) and hot waters?

I know that Jetstream has a positive pressure breathe "it almost breathes for you!!" plz comment if any info on this! Does XStream Duration also have a positive pressure breathe?
any comment welcomed :)

2. Scubapro

Scubapro MK17 G250V
I've heard that this reg is very solid all-arounder: can go cold, easy to breath at relative depths down to 45m, not so sure about how it manages below that?
It looks relatively small (compact) but its made out of metal which makes it relatively heavy (I suppose)

3. Apeks

Apeks XTX 50 DS4
This model have been mentioned many places (FORUMS) I've been! The saying goes that is very functional! Service is not, and will never be a problem for me Im looking for functionality (easy to breath at 10m - 35m) and I also look for a reg not to be to clumsy! In which regards this model seams to be small and compact!

4. Atomic

Atomic B2
I put this model on b/c I've heard about it but yet I do not know much about it! Its made out of titanium so its very light (I ques). Is there any reason to invest the extra cash for Atomic T2 Titanium?

Please lady's and gent's help me exclude some of the candidates listed above,,, or perhaps to add another candidate

Best regards

4. Atomic

Atomic B2
I put this model on b/c I've heard about it but yet I do not know much about it! Its made out of titanium so its very light (I ques). Is there any reason to invest the extra cash for Atomic T2 Titanium?

Best regards

The B2's first stage materials are chrome-plated brass and 316 stainless steel, not titanium. It's second stage is titanium except for the swivel, which again is stainless steel.

Atomics enjoy a well-deserved reputation for being great breathers all the way through their product line from top to bottom.

I dive with a T2. The primary advantage of a T2 vs a B2 are in weight savings (a little over half a pound) and the ultimate in corrosion resistance, due to the titanium first stage. It was worth the extra $$ to me but your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps.

For the type of diving you do I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Only thing about Poseidon and maybe the Apex might be getting them serviced wherever you live. Scubapro seems to be everywhere and in the US Atomic is no problem to find either, but I know when I looked at the Poseidon stuff here in Colorado there wasn't much here.

I have an M1 and absolutely love it, it's been to 90' in 43 degree water to 112' of 83 degree water in Cozumel and performed wonderfully in both.

hi Killovicz,

i'm in the same situation as you actually. my gf and i just picked up diving and we are really interested in getting our own stuff, after having to used some rental gear that has left much to be desired.

we were considering between the scubapro S600 / MK25, the Apeks XTX100 / FST or the atomic B2.

at the end of the day, for our use, which is diving mainly in the south east asia and the warms waters along the equatorial belt, we have decided to go for the atomics B2. its a great reg. you wouldnt find one bad review on it.

the fact that we had an offer for the first stage + B2 + SS1 integrated at about USD$550 made the decision a lot easier! :D

plus they now have the color that my gf loves.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/289926-new-colors-atomic-b2-z2-z2x-red-pink-purple.html

hope this helps you a little!

don't go with poseidon, to get them serviced is almost impossible, plus if you can they make you pay an extra thirty or forty bucks. the apex ds4 xtx50 is a great reg, i would personally only use it on doubles because of the port configuration, great tecnical reg. the mk17g250v is another amazing reg also technical, especially for the cold water would make a great doubles reg also. the apex could be used as a single in warm water where you don't need a drysuit same with the sp mk17 otherwise they are good for deep cold doubles, plus the companies are very reliable. don't waste the money on the titanium, b/c you can buy two apex or sp for doubles when you use doubles. read some other posts on the apex and sp regsplus the otherones you mentioned

stay away from atomics, the scubapro is good and so is the apex, i have done a lot of research for a doubles reg and those have come into my research, the atomics is a big waste of money, one of my friends has one and it cost him over 1000$ for it

all of the regs you mention will do you well

the deciding factors should be price and which regs you can get serviced near you with a minimum of trouble

that will probably knock out the Atomic and the Poseidons; either Scubapro or Apeks will save you money initially and for upkeep

all of the regs you mention will do you well

the deciding factors should be price and which regs you can get serviced near you with a minimum of trouble

that will probably knock out the Atomic and the Poseidons; either Scubapro or Apeks will save you money initially and for upkeep
agreed

Back
Top Bottom