Narrowing down my options: Apex or ScubaPro or Poseidon or Atomic or???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don't go with poseidon, to get them serviced is almost impossible, plus if you can they make you pay an extra thirty or forty bucks. the apex ds4 xtx50 is a great reg, i would personally only use it on doubles because of the port configuration, great tecnical reg. the mk17g250v is another amazing reg also technical, especially for the cold water would make a great doubles reg also. the apex could be used as a single in warm water where you don't need a drysuit same with the sp mk17 otherwise they are good for deep cold doubles, plus the companies are very reliable. don't waste the money on the titanium, b/c you can buy two apex or sp for doubles when you use doubles. read some other posts on the apex and sp regsplus the otherones you mentioned

Why can't I use a DS4 on a single tank in cold water with a drysuit?

Why can't I use a DS4 on a single tank in cold water with a drysuit?
sorry about that my mistake i thought it only had three lp ports, one for the second stage reg, one for the octo, and another for the inflator on your b.c.
my mistake i apologize

stay away from atomics, the scubapro is good and so is the apex, i have done a lot of research for a doubles reg and those have come into my research, the atomics is a big waste of money, one of my friends has one and it cost him over 1000$ for it

How is the Atomic a big waste of money? Is it "bad"? Does it not perform well?

BTW, the Atomic B2 is retailed for around $699 US in the USA (don't know what international prices are), so how is it that your buddy spent over $1000 on it? And if he were to have spent more than MSRP on his B2, whose fault is that?:confused:

To the OP, the only issue with Atomic regulator is that you may or may not have a local source for services. However, if you do, then go for it. Atomic regulators are easily the best of the breed. They are not cheap, just like Ferraris and Ducatis are not cheap. And unlike other manufacturers, when you call Atomic for problems, issues, or just information, there's a real person that picks up the phone (usually Darcy) and that person actually has intimate knowledge about the product lines.

I have an Apex XTX200 and a Scuba Pro MK25..the Scuba Pro is a fine regulator, but the Apex is the better performer...and it is sealed if you want to do any very cold water diving. I have used the MK25 in Alaska and British Columbia and it performed just fine, but for ice diving I went with the Apex. I am getting a little picky, you can't go wrong with either!

I've been diving for 26 years. In that time I've owned and enjoyed Dacor, Oceanic and Atomic regulators. My latest, the ST1 was brilliant until I had it serviced. Either the servicing work was rubbish or the regulator is made of inferior materials. Either way, after servicing it was an inferior regulator. To do them justice the Australian importers have said they will replace it at no cost. If this doesn't happen I will buy the ScubaPro A700 Mk25 or the latest Aqualung Legend. You live and die by your choice. Tony.

Man this thread could get out of hand quick! :D
I do not own the Apeks DS4 or X50 but I have dove with them and our dive club is considering outfitting the rental shop with about a dozen DS4/X50 sets.

I own, SP MK17 and MK25, X650, G250 and R190. I have never had the MK 25 under the ice (and we do go there as often as possible), but other than that she is sweet. On the other hand, the MK 17 is bulletproof and a nice breather too.

My preference if I had only 1 SP set-up would be MK17/G250 as an all-around breathable and great rig.

I also own 2 sets of Poseidon Jet Streams/cyklon and 1 set of the Xtreams.

When I go under the ice, they are the ones that I take. The Poseidons are easy breathing, and bulletproof as well. The Xtream is nice and compact but breathes "larger" if that makes sense.

My preferred Poseidon is the xtream. Nice, nice regs. I would have to say overall I prefer it to the SP but mainly because it is so streamlined. I can't really say it breathes easier, frankly I can't tell any difference. You do have to adjust the SP to get it breathe as easy as the Poseidon though.

1st choice for me: Poseidon Xtream.
2nd: SP Mk17/G250.

**One note: my dive club is the LDS and service center for Poseidon so service for me is no problem. If that weren't true, I would probably stick with the SP MK17.

Hey I have got a great idea! Why don't you buy one set of each of the contenders, try them out for about 10 dives, and then junk the 3 losers? Oh, and because we are supposed to be environmentally friendly, I am even willing to take the junked ones off of your hands. Why I'll even pay the postage to do it! :eyebrow:

Sometimes my magnanimous generosity amazes me! :D

IMO MK17 G250V is a great choice, I use those in many diferent conditions and never have the smallest complain. Today I am using S600 instead of G250, but both are great.

I haven't owned a Poseidon, but they are really hard to service (from experience) and they are hard (and expensive) to find parts for when you need them. They are also hard to tune for some reason. Plus, they are not exactly the kind of regulator you can repair in the field (if you have those sorts of skills).

I have owned two Atomics (Z1). They are great regulators, and the ANSTI machine may indicate all 5s but so will your wallet. You don't need fancy stainless or titanium, most of the regulators that I work on are just plain old chrome plated naval brass and they last for 50 years if you rinse and service them. If you want an Atomic, then buy one but they are overpriced. Additionally, all of them have a seat saving orifice which (IMO) makes them more or less useless as a stage regulator because they can flood if the regulator is not charged. Still, people buy them (me included) because they look and sound fancy. Any regulator with a good IP and cracking pressure breathes just like an Atomic, but people love that scubalab test with its virtually unachievable work of breathing.

Personally, I would buy the Apeks, or an Aqualung regulator (same thing). You can get them serviced anywhere in the world, parts are easy to find, and you can rebuild them yourself in the field with a leatherman if you have must. They are reasonably priced, commonly found used on Ebay, and they are not like 700 bucks. Oh yeah, and plenty of them are Navy approved, which says a lot for their reliability and durability.

Scubapro makes great regulators but my exposure to them is limited, so I'll decline to comment on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom