My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm real interested in living.
Funny you should say that.

I have prostate cancer. The cure for the next 10 years is to remove the prostate, resulting in near total ED, incontinence, hot flashes, heart problems and leading to death.

I have chosen not to treat my cancer, resulting in 10 years of no ED, no incontinence, no heart problems, and leading to death.

Because I want to live and not merely exist.

I'm so, so sorry, but I can certainly relate. I've had so many friends telling me to "be careful". Careful is sitting on the couch, and you'll die just as quickly having none of the experiences that make life so special. I also crave life over mere existence. I definitely want to keep diving, exploring, and traveling. Hoping for the best.

Funny you should say that.

I have prostate cancer. The cure for the next 10 years is to remove the prostate, resulting in near total ED, incontinence, hot flashes, heart problems and leading to death.

I have chosen not to treat my cancer, resulting in 10 years of no ED, no incontinence, no heart problems, and leading to death.

Hopefully you’ll be some sort of suppression treatment, the usual next phase for that cancer is for it to attack the bones, not a good way to go.

Hopefully you’ll be some sort of suppression treatment, the usual next phase for that cancer is for it to attack the bones, not a good way to go.
Prostate cancer sucks more than normal cancers. I can't tell you how sad I am to hear that my friend is having to deal with it. It took my father-in-law, and yes it was about ten years.

Hey, on this prostate stuff, I was in Scotland a couple of years ago and having some plumbing problems so I went to see a urologist when I got back.
Before that, I had been getting care from the VA, and that had turned to shi#e during Covid, but nothing had bothered me so life was good.
So right at the end of 2021/start of 2022, my guy told me not to make plans for the end of the year. Things were pretty bad downstairs, and my prostate cancer was just itching to kill me.
South Florida has no end of esteemed treatment centers - U of Miami, the Cleveland Clinic, Boca Raton MC, so I contacted the Mayo Clinic for an appointment. I didn’t know they had a branch in Jacksonville….I was preparing to fly to Rochester, MN, but Jax was only 300 miles away right up I95.
They took me right in and determined that the prostate cancer had not metastasized.
I never had chemo or surgery - just 20 hours of radiation and a bunch of meds.
The only side effects were hot flashes which REALLY SUCK and a massive weight gain from steroids which I am now trimming off.
If it had metastasized, the doctors had a treatment plan for that as well.
At some point, we just moved up here to Jax and sold the Boca house.
The Mayo also installed a new titanium right knee since that had been bothering me for years.
So something’s going to kill me, but it’s pretty likely that it’s not going to be prostate cancer. I actually went to a funeral this morning for my 61yo neighbor who took six months to die from complications of a spider bite last February.
I just was not tough enough to not fight this damn thing with everything at my disposal.
Wookie, good luck with your journey.

<snip>

But you didn't bring me any! I did find some Gin, but that ain't rum. Not even a close second. I'll wait patiently until you arrive. I do have extra rooms up here and you're always welcome.
Awwwhhhh thanks.. that's mighty kind of ye. I'll be sure to bring the rum..

Gosling's Black Seal?
Most have never had Edward Teach Rum from the Caimans. It be the smoothest of the smooth and is no longer made. What a loss to humanity.

Today started out well with another trip to Itche. A bit earlier and it was definitely an improvement over yesterday. A full lap of the crawl, until my shorts came down. I pulled them back up and soldiered on, finishing the lap despite the ignomy. I was the only one in the spring, so no eye-balls were injured.

But then I had a pulmonologist appointment this afternoon, and that took the wind right out of my sails, so to speak.

He asked me if I was still on Eliquis, and I said I had a few days left. No, no, no. You need to be on that for six months minimum and not just three. Crap. He then showed me the CT scan of my pulmonary embolism, aka clots in the lungs. He also showed me the follow up right after the procedure and it was much better, but there were still clots. Are mine gone now? We don't know. We need more testing. Sure. When? Soon! I asked about diving and he said "Sure, but no deep-sea diving". My next question was "What does that even mean? Are you a diver?" He didn't know and "no" were the answers to those queries. Sigh. "How about an extra atmosphere, like 33 ft?" "Sure." How about 2 extra atmospheres, like 66 ft?" "Is that considered deep to you?" "Not really." "Then sure." "Is there a diving pulmonologist that we can talk to about this? I mean, it sounds a bit like you're guessing." "Just no deep-sea diving!" Incredibly frustrating for someone whose life is in his hands. Sigh times a billion. Yes, he's open to talking to DAN after the scan. I'm open to talking to them tomorrow. I was hoping to dive this weekend. ARRRRGH!!!

Where's the effing rum???
@Duke Dive Medicine do you guys have any recommended docs to discuss this with?

Back
Top Bottom