My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most have never had Edward Teach Rum from the Caimans. It be the smoothest of the smooth and is no longer made. What a loss to humanity.

Like the original Costco rum, back when it was made on St.Croix. It may not have been the smoothest of the smooth, but at ~$30 per gallon it was bloody bootifull... so of course they found themselves a "better" supplier. :vomit:

Sigh. I talked with DAN today. They're meddlers, doncha know? MEDDLERS!

Meh. The best part about DAN, is that they only have your best interests at heart. They aren't trying to sell you anything, they only have one agenda and that's your health. So, I won't be diving anytime soon. The good doctor patiently and with great detail described the issues I was facing as a diver with possibly compromised lungs. They need to test my ability to breathe. IE efficiency. Just before I had talked with him, UF Health had called and had set up a pulmonary test. I couldn't remember what it was, so I went to "MyChart", and looked it up. Holy cow! It's a breathing perfusion and efficiency test! "Yes!" exclaimed DAN! That's what you need. All diving is "deep sea diving". So, no diving for you! Well, at least until we do this efficiency test. That will be December 9th, so maybe I'll get to dive before the end of the year. Perhaps not. Like all things, it depends on the results of the test. Sigh.

Did I mention that they were meddlers??? Yah. He's not so sure about me swimming, either. Again, it's an issue that might see me pass out in the middle of a lap and drown. He wants me to talk to my pulmonologist and hematologist before I continue. I reached out to both via MyChart. He thinks sitting on the steps and kicking, like I did today should be fine. Just be careful of any lightheadedness.

Some of you know that I've been bradycardic my entire life. Well for as long as I can remember. I haven't seen my pulse below 70 since the surgery. The DAN doctor says this could be indicative of deeper issues. My BP yesterday at my pulmonologist was 125/75, so that's not too bad. I wore my smart watch for the first time today in the spring and saw that my pulse went up to 109. For how hard I was breathing it seemed appropriate. I didn't feel lightheaded either, but discretion is the better part of valor and needed to continue living. In any event, I have given DAN's phone number and my DAN case number to both my pulmonologist and hematologist.

Thank God for DAN and their meddling ways.

My smartwatch, the first Garmin Descent, shows that my surface interval is now 827 days and counting. As a preacher once used to say again and again: Brethren, this ought not to be! Still no rum!

Some of you know that I've been bradycardic my entire life. Well for as long as I can remember. I haven't seen my pulse below 70 since the surgery. The DAN doctor says this could be indicative of deeper issues. My BP yesterday at my pulmonologist was 125/75, so that's not too bad. I wore my smart watch for the first time today in the spring and saw that my pulse went up to 109. For how hard I was breathing it seemed appropriate. I didn't feel lightheaded either, but discretion is the better part of valor and needed to continue living. In any event, I have given DAN's phone number and my DAN case number to both my pulmonologist and hematologist.
You're not taking your BP at home? Do you have a cardiologist you see? If not, get one. Mine signed me up with a monitoring agency that's well paid by Medicare and my supplement who supplied me with a battery powered cuff that transmits my daily reading to them. They called today concerned about my recent 100 BP which happens if I take it right after waking. It varies a lot with activity but never very high. I assured them that I felt fine. They never seem concerned about my 100+ pulse nor does that cardiologist as he gets the reading reported.

You're not taking your BP at home?
I do from time to time. Mine has been fairly normal. When I was fit it used to be a tad on the low side, which is pretty normal for bradycardics, like myself. I used to race canoes in high school, and have accomplished 4,600+ miles. I was in great, great shape once upon a time. I keep benefiting from that.

I do from time to time.
Daily would be good. And consider getting a cardiologist.

My smartwatch, the first Garmin Descent, shows that my surface interval is now 827 days and counting. As a preacher once used to say again and again: Brethren, this ought not to be! Still no rum!
mmmm somebody mention Rum?
(gonna be a while before I'm headed that way, was up near there last weekend visiting Hermit Crab near Kelly Springs)

Daily would be good. And consider getting a cardiologist.
I have had a cardiologist for a few years when they heard a slight murmur. I see him this month, I think. He did copious amounts of testing and found nothing awry.

4th spring session in a row. It was only me, a baby gator, two turtles, and a bunch of fish for about 45 minutes, then Joe the Sculptor showed up. I sat on the edge of the pool and did two 5-minute sessions of intense kicking. I got my pulse way up to 111bpm and was breathing hard. I floated around a bit and it came down to 66bpm. That's the lowest I've seen since surgery. I just checked my BP as I'm sitting here, and it was at 132/81. Not great, but not all that bad either. During my exercise, I did not experience any dizziness or other phenomenon.

Two days ago, I saw that I had an uptick in weight by four pounds. No. I'm not going to gain what took me so long to lose. This morning that was down a few pounds. Phew!

I got a call from my hematologist, and she disagrees with my pulmonologist. She pointed out that staying on Eliquis is my choice, but with a provoked episode, 3 months is plenty. I've got a week or so to make that decision. We discussed symptoms of a pulmonary embolism, and we both agree that I am exhibiting none of them. She has completely cleared me to swim as long and as hard as I like until such symptoms exhibit themselves. She went as far as to encourage me to continue to exert myself as much as possible while swimming. Yay!!! To be clear, I'm holding off on diving until I get cleared in December. After today's spring session, I'm certain that I will pass that test with flying colors.

visiting Hermit Crab near Kelly Springs
Do you mean Rock Springs in Kelly Park just outside of Apopka? That's Florida's first "Lazy River". If you haven't been, please GO!!! Weekends can get quite crowded, and you can bring or rent a tube. You can still find shark teeth in the boils the last time I was there. That's one of the main springs I frequented as a kid. Close to that is Wekiva Springs, and the Wekiwa River. Wonderful canoeing and kayaking experiences there. FWIW, Rock Springs Run flows into the Wekiwa. Kings Landing might still be there if you want to rent a canoe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom