My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the add. It looks like Pete got the answers he needed.

Best regards,
DDM
Yes, I did get answers, and while not the ones I was hoping for, I can, er "live" with them. :D However, I would love to find a diving pulmonologist or even cardiologist in the G-ville area. My current doctors are frank about their lack of knowledge when it comes to how this affects my diving. I certainly appreciate their ability to acknowledge that they lack certain knowledge.

I have had a cardiologist for a few years when they heard a slight murmur. I see him this month, I think. He did copious amounts of testing and found nothing awry.
Good! 👍
I got a call from my hematologist, and she disagrees with my pulmonologist. She pointed out that staying on Eliquis is my choice, but with a provoked episode, 3 months is plenty. I've got a week or so to make that decision. We discussed symptoms of a pulmonary embolism, and we both agree that I am exhibiting none of them.
I don't understand either dealing with Eliquis. Ask your heart doc.

I don't understand either dealing with Eliquis. Ask your heart doc.
It wasn't prescribed by my heart doc, but by my hematologist due to the provoked incident of pulmonary embolism. I've been researching pulmonary embolisms and seem to have more questions than answers! :D I'll be seeing my hematologist a week from today. I look forward to a candid discussion.

I have had a cardiologist for a few years when they heard a slight murmur. I see him this month, I think. He did copious amounts of testing and found nothing awry.

4th spring session in a row. It was only me, a baby gator, two turtles, and a bunch of fish for about 45 minutes, then Joe the Sculptor showed up. I sat on the edge of the pool and did two 5-minute sessions of intense kicking. I got my pulse way up to 111bpm and was breathing hard. I floated around a bit and it came down to 66bpm. That's the lowest I've seen since surgery. I just checked my BP as I'm sitting here, and it was at 132/81. Not great, but not all that bad either. During my exercise, I did not experience any dizziness or other phenomenon.

Two days ago, I saw that I had an uptick in weight by four pounds. No. I'm not going to gain what took me so long to lose. This morning that was down a few pounds. Phew!

I got a call from my hematologist, and she disagrees with my pulmonologist. She pointed out that staying on Eliquis is my choice, but with a provoked episode, 3 months is plenty. I've got a week or so to make that decision. We discussed symptoms of a pulmonary embolism, and we both agree that I am exhibiting none of them. She has completely cleared me to swim as long and as hard as I like until such symptoms exhibit themselves. She went as far as to encourage me to continue to exert myself as much as possible while swimming. Yay!!! To be clear, I'm holding off on diving until I get cleared in December. After today's spring session, I'm certain that I will pass that test with flying colors.
OK, now I'm confused. You prefer the lung advice you are getting from your hematologist over the advice from your pulmonologist....

It wasn't prescribed by my heart doc, but by my hematologist due to the provoked incident of pulmonary embolism. I've been researching pulmonary embolisms and seem to have more questions than answers! :D I'll be seeing my hematologist a week from today. I look forward to a candid discussion.
I'm prescribing a little bit of Captain for you!

1726072382444.png

OK, now I'm confused. You prefer the lung advice you are getting from your hematologist over the advice from your pulmonologist....
These are -blood- clots that happen to be in the lungs. Currently, I am showing zero symptoms of having them. No shortness of breath. No dizziness. No coughing up blood. No passing out. Excellent O2 saturation. Normal BP and pulse rate. Blood gasses are also good. My pulmonologist is the outlier here. To be clear, I will not be diving until I get the "all-clear" from my pulmonologist after the Perfusion and Breathing Efficiency test on December 9th.

Do you mean Rock Springs in Kelly Park just outside of Apopka? That's Florida's first "Lazy River". If you haven't been, please GO!!! Weekends can get quite crowded, and you can bring or rent a tube. You can still find shark teeth in the boils the last time I was there. That's one of the main springs I frequented as a kid. Close to that is Wekiva Springs, and the Wekiwa River. Wonderful canoeing and kayaking experiences there. FWIW, Rock Springs Run flows into the Wekiwa. Kings Landing might still be there if you want to rent a canoe.
Yes, that... Kelly Park, and Rock Springs, Wekevia.. all that. Itching to get some kayaking done round there.. I have kayaks, friends have kayaks.. just can't get a schedule that matches so we can make the trip.

Yes, that... Kelly Park, and Rock Springs, Wekevia.. all that. Itching to get some kayaking done round there.. I have kayaks, friends have kayaks.. just can't get a schedule that matches so we can make the trip.
Keep me in mind when you do. I raced canoes in High School, and the Wekiwa River was our river. I've been from the Wekiwa marina to the railroad trestle (shy of FL46) at least a hundred times, and probably more. I often hit it once or twice a week for over two years. Shell island, the landing craft, various tributaries are all burned into my brain with target times there and back. :D :D :D I still love it. I bet all the old river shacks are gone. They had been outlawed in the 70s and were quite dilapidated by the mid-70s. I have two kayaks, but no way to get them there with my Mach eX. That could change as there's a bumper hitch sitting in my workshop, and a small trailer on property.

FWIW, I'm really hankering to get my kayaks mobile again for some local paddling.

I'm learning that kayaks are kinda like scuba tanks. One is just not enough...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom