Move to Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next time I'm over in SW Florida, I'll keep an eye out for those droves heading north.

Come visit Cape Coral....it really is depressing. It seems that 8 out of every ten houses is empty, and of those 8 at least four covered in weeds.

Enrollment is way down in Lee County Schools, so much so we are having to send money back to Tallahasee.

Fort Myers Beach is ghost town.

I could go on and on.

Although I have not (yet) met him, you might want to get in touch with Orlando Eric. He gave some excellent advice to another 'Boarder who is looking at moving to Florida, and it seems that he is also in law enforcement, so I imagine that he can probably help you with input there as well.

(I hope you don't mind me recommending you, Orlando Eric! Thanks!)

You don't give much information on where you want to live. We could give you much better advice if you could give us a bit more inforamation on your interests and lifestyle. Urban or rural? Close to diving or willing to drive? Salt water or springs? As I am sure you're aware, Florida is a very large state, and with that comes diversity, in everything from cost of living to type of diving!

Good luck & do keep us posted!

What are the property taxes like in S. Florida?

I live in New Hampshire, we have no sales tax but a fairly high property tax.

What are the property taxes like in S. Florida?

I live in New Hampshire, we have no sales tax but a fairly high property tax.

No state income tax...
6% sales tax

Broward County Property Appraiser's Network

A 200K home w/ homestead exemption:
Taxable Value: $120,000 School Board Taxable Value: $145,000
Your Estimated Ad Valorem Tax Amount is approximately: * $2,591

You can get houses in Weston for $150-$200k - if you buy a house in the $120k range expect to put some sweat equity in.

The market is REALLY down right now, it's pretty shocking how cheap homes are actually selling for.

LEOs,firemen and contractors:coffee: make the bulk of the dive community here in Jax.Insurance for vehicles and homes can vary significantly even by zip code.Property taxes run mostly in the 2% range.

Groceries,fuel,utilities,sundries etc go for around the national average to only slightly higher or lower.There are many ways in the South to save on most of these expenses.

Congrats,you will live in paradise at a standard of living greater than 90% of the rest of the world,despite what naysayers tell you.

Follow your dream.When you get old you regret more what you didn't do than what you did do.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom