Best Place For Diver Family To Live In Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leafy Seadragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!
I'm considering a move to Florida and would like suggestions for places that have good diving, but also nice for families. I've been to NW Florida and the Keys many times and love it there but didn't how how the rest of the state compares. What's your opinion on the best city or town to live for access to diving?
Thanks!!

You need to learn about the many Florida's before you decide which one is for you.

If you liked NW Florida you will not like SE for sure.

Then again going to NW FL for vacation is different than living there for good. I supposed that can be said for any place in the planet, on vacation things are perceived differently.

You need to learn about the many Florida's before you decide which one is for you.

If you liked NW Florida you will not like SE for sure.

Then again going to NW FL for vacation is different than living there for good. I supposed that can be said for any place in the planet, on vacation things are perceived differently.
Teach me, what are the many Floridas? I live in the city of Atlanta, so a city doesn't scare me, especially if there are good suburbs just in case. I've also lived in Asheville, NC and we enjoyed small town living for all it had to offer.
I imagine being closer to a city would offer more non-diving attractions for certain days too. What would be your personal favorite place in FL? Thanks!

To add to @Ana's point, Florida is a rather different place, depending on where you are. In choosing a place, a lot will depend on how much you want to dive, and what kind of lifestyle you enjoy when not diving.

The panhandle will be similar to Atlanta from a cultural perspective. The diving is good, but the water does get cold(ish) in the winter and the viz is often not as good as South Florida. South East Florida (e.g. West Palm to Miami) is more congested, has a larger latino population, and generally has faster pace of life than the panhandle. The diving is amazing though, and I personally like the short boat rides to the dive sites in SE Florida. The population of SW Florida has more retirees. The Gulf off of the SW coast is shallow, so boat rides to dive sites tend to be long. The Keys is living the "island life," and probably the most expensive place to live in Florida.

A man dies and meets St. Peter at the Gates. St Peter takes him on a tour of heaven and hell and tells the man he can decide where he wants to spend eternity. Heaven is the picture of sedate and contemplative living, white robes, clouds, etc.
Hell, on the other hand, is a banquet Hall of beautiful food and beautiful people full of lively conversation and enticing forms.
They return to the Gates and the man chooses hell. They return but now hell is full of human suffering, unimaginable pain and the wailing of tortured souls. The man asks St. Peter what happened to the hell he saw only moments before.
St. Peter responds, "Oh, then you were only visiting. Now you live here."

Hello!
I'm considering a move to Florida and would like suggestions for places that have good diving, but also nice for families. I've been to NW Florida and the Keys many times and love it there but didn't how how the rest of the state compares. What's your opinion on the best city or town to live for access to diving?
Thanks!!
Move to the villages lol…

There have been several threads on the exact same topic over the last couple years. I encourage you to search and find those. That would be a great place to start. Then you can ask more specific questions.

What you are currently asking is impossible for any of us to answer given that we know nothing about you, what your broader interests are, what your price range is, what kind of vibe you’re looking for, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom