Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sent an email to comissioner Brannon to see how things are coming along and clarify some questions. Here is my email and his response:

Mr. Brannon,

I am a SCUBA diver that was in the group that met when you were planning the improvements to Morrison Springs. I have seen pictures of the spring under construction but have not been there personally since construction began. It seems to be moving along well.

I have a couple questions about the progress:

Is there a communication device for us to keep up on the progress and know if the park is open?

While the park is closed, is there a safe way for divers to access the spring. Is it safe to dive during construction?

How far into the spring will the "observation platform" extend? Will it be over the boil or the bowl?

There was a planned high water boat ramp next to the swim beach. Is that still in the plans or just the ramp closer to the river?

Where the old pavilion used to be there is some construction. What is that going to be?

Hi Bill,

The great news is that we are all hopeful that the park will be re- opening before the July 4th weekend. However, as with all great plans we cannot say anything as absolute now.But progress is moving along and the contractor is on schedule . We are crossing our fingers that there will not be any weather delays.

The park is completely closed to everyone at this time, because of construction and the liability issues for the contractor, it must remain closed until work is complete.

The board walk to the observation platform will not extend directly over the boil or bowl. Great care was taken NOT to disturb the spring, but people will be able to view the area, better than ever before from the deck.

The new boat ramp will be down river from the swimmers and divers, with a new access road to the boat launch and picnic area .

As far as the old pavilion area, it will become a new improved pavilion area .

I hope this helps, please feel free to contact me again ,anytime and know that you can call my office at 835-4860 and Susan can keep you updated on the re-opening date as we get closer to completion.

We will plan to have an official Grand Re-Opening and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, at the appropriate time and you will be invited .I hope you and all the committee members can attend the special day when it finally arrives. Walton County will send out media releases to all the local and neighboring newspapers and TV stations prior to the reopening. That way everyone can help spread the news to all the divers, who have been so interested and missed one of their favorite dive spots.

Bill,

Thanks for the update. How about we plan a dive in conjunction with their grand opening ceremonies? I think SB members being the first divers to hit the water after the ceremony would be a good thing. We could coordinate things with the commissioner to let them know we want to test drive their hard work. We can demonstrate how divers will use the new facilities....what do you think?

Thanks 'Yoda!

THe river has finally dropped so hopefully they can finish in time! Would it be wrong to pray for drought?

has anyone checked to see if the new road to the boat ramp is done,we looked at it at springfest,they were building bridges and had it blocked off,but if they finished the bridges you should be able to drive back there and swim to the spring. I am ready to dive Morrison again.

Commissioner Brannon:
The board walk to the observation platform will not extend directly over the boil or bowl. Great care was taken NOT to disturb the spring, but people will be able to view the area, better than ever before from the deck.

Real Meaning: The boardwalk will be close enough to the boil so that local rednecks will now be able to better view the boil and to toss their beer bottles directly into the boil and also will be able to 'depth charge drop' beer bottles on divers heads.

The new boat ramp will be down river from the swimmers and divers, with a new access road to the boat launch and picnic area .

Real Meaning: We are tired of all you divers blocking our beach boat ramp with your cars making it hard to our pickup trucks and trailers down into the water...

We will plan to have an official Grand Re-Opening and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, at the appropriate time and you will be invited .I hope you and all the committee members can attend the special day when it finally arrives. Walton County will send out media releases to all the local and neighboring newspapers and TV stations prior to the reopening. That way everyone can help spread the news to all the divers, who have been so interested and missed one of their favorite dive spots.

Real Meaning: This is a chance for this elected official to get free TV time and his name in the newspapers during a re-election year.

:popcorn:

Bill,

Thanks for the update. How about we plan a dive in conjunction with their grand opening ceremonies? I think SB members being the first divers to hit the water after the ceremony would be a good thing. We could coordinate things with the commissioner to let them know we want to test drive their hard work. We can demonstrate how divers will use the new facilities....what do you think?

I think that is a great idea! We could turn it into a Morrison event and also work with Vortex to put up with us again at their campgrounds!

We can only hope things will be improved at Morrison. Unfortuantely, U CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Carolyn:sharks:

Great updates! I'd be up for a Morrison re-opening party :D

Back
Top Bottom